• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

A poor record shot of the Garganey attached. 2 Arctic Terns still present on moors (1ad + 1juv) - often giving very good flight views in front of the east hide. A Dunlin circled the moors pool this morning but never landed. Quite a few Sylvia warblers around today, including Common Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat and Blackcap. 4 Ravens over the flashes and a Goldcrest was in the ed res.

Just heard that 2 Ruff have landed on the moors ~ approx. 4pm

Attachments

• Garganey Moors 170911.jpg
    Garganey Moors 170911.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Birding on the reserve (7.15am - 3.45pm)
A late start today having overslept. While walking along the board-walk I received a text from Dave J, to say Garganey on the Flashes. On route to the bird I heard Yellow wagtail in the transmitter field and soon found 6 in total and at least 30 pied wags, all feeding amongst the cattle.
From the 2nd hide the garganey soon came into view, it looked very wary as if it had just arrived. After 45 minutes or so it flew off towards the moors, where it was later re-found. Other birds on view were: Little Grebe, Teal 12, Mallard 10, Green sand 2, lapwing 4, curlew 3, Arctic tern juv (from the Moors where it soon returned to), BHG c100, several large gulls moved through including: Herring gull 4, LBBG c80, stock dove c30, a small southerly passage of meadow pipit occurred in the first 2 hours. Also grey wagtail, 40 swallows, 5 sand and 20 house martin. 2 raven circled the mast and later 4 others soared in front of the hide. Flocks of passerines were heading south, whether as migrants or just moving to feeding areas is unknown, included 40 starling, 60 goldfinch, reed buntings and greenfinch.

After all this the sun came out, and my eyes turned right to do a bit of 'hedgewatching'. Although no goodies the species list is increasing each week, many of the birds are attracted to the elder and black berries others use it as a refuge between feeding forays into the adjacent grassy areas. Today's list was a fieldsin. Today's species were Yellow and pied wagtail, Meadow pipit 5, Bullfinch 2, Greenfinch 3, chaffinch 2, goldfinch 40+, linnet 5, Long t tit 20, blue and great tits 20+, lesser whitethroat, blackcap 2, chiffchaff 4, reed bunting 10, starling 2,robin, dunnock, wood pigeon, magpie,
considering the Flashes main pool is completely dry there are still a few things to keep us going.
B :)John

Last edited:
2 Arctic tern still at the Moors late afternoon, before switching over to the sailing pool after an 'event'.
Tragic to see Geese being shot out of the sky!!
Everything was flushed off the moors, and there was no sign of the Garganey or the Ruff's (from either side of the pool). and nothing had switched over to the flashes either, so dont expect anything from today to have stayed around for tomorrow!
MB

2 Arctic tern still at the Moors late afternoon, before switching over to the sailing pool after an 'event'.
Tragic to see Geese being shot out of the sky!!
Everything was flushed off the moors, and there was no sign of the Garganey or the Ruff's (from either side of the pool). and nothing had switched over to the flashes either, so dont expect anything from today to have stayed around for tomorrow!
MB
Were they shooting in the woods at the north end of the sailing pool and what time craig.

Hi MB - can you confirm where you believe the shooters were and what they were targeting (corvids / geese / anything).

Ta
Phil

Hi MB - can you confirm where you believe the shooters were and what they were targeting (corvids / geese / anything).

Ta
Phil

The first shot was at pigeons, then when that shot spooked the geese, they flew towards the sailing pool followed by at last 8 shots towards the geese, hitting 2 of them. Guessing there was more than 1 gun!
MB

A few Random pics from today

1. View of 3rd Flash after this weeks grass and reed cutting.
2. How now the 1st Flash is starting to get dangerously low
3.The transmitter field where all the wagtails feed around the cattle.
4. A very distant view of Tittestone clee hill in shropshire showing the 'golf ball' radar station, In 34 years of birding at the reserve, I have never noticed this , then Oriole Boy rminded me that we only cut the hedge down last year.:smoke:

Attachments

• 1.3rd flash on view afta grass cutting.jpg
    1.3rd flash on view afta grass cutting.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 54
  • and now the 1st flash drying out.jpg
    and now the 1st flash drying out.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 3 trans field.jpg
    3 trans field.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 4 tittestone clee shrops from back of fl hide.jpg
    4 tittestone clee shrops from back of fl hide.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
We were in the east hide and we were guessing the shots had came from the eddy/SP sort of area,
and it was about 6:30 ish
MB
I think there is a geazer who lives in one of the cottages next to the garage who regularly shoots in there. I will have a word with Phil at the Edy reserve next week . If no joy I will ring the Old bill and have a word with them, especially as it is next to a footpath.

Ruffs

Here's a low quality photo of the two ruffs that landed close to the East hide yesterday at 16:00. They stayed for about 3 minutes before flying off to the north. There was also a snipe present for a lot longer.

Cheers,

Richard

Attachments

• DSC_0066.JPG
    DSC_0066.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 91
6 Yellow Wagtails made appearances on the flashes earlier.

Is there a butterfly year list for 2011 for the reserve ? Would like to know what I have missed and can look out for next year. Anyone had Painted Lady this year ?
Dave, here's the Holly Blue pic from last weekend,not great, but was at distance.

Attachments

• 1001e.jpg
    1001e.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Fox on Moor

saw a fox running through the water from an island on the moor, water was only about an inch deep.
Very nice day again.

Attachments

• foxy.jpg
    foxy.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 84

Users who are viewing this thread

Back