• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovision focus speed (1 Viewer)

Can someone tell me how many turns you need to move to go from close focus to infinity for the new Swarovision EL?

Probably more than most of its direct competitors because it focusses down to 1,5m.
This has required enormous technical expenditure (two independant moving lens groups per barrel) for a feature no birder needs but, no doubt, Leica and Zeiss will feel compelled to follow.
Speed of focus could best be compared if manufacturers would quote the number of turns (or better still the circumferencial distance) for 5m to infinity.

John

Probably more than most of its direct competitors because it focusses down to 1,5m.
This has required enormous technical expenditure (two independant moving lens groups per barrel) for a feature no birder needs but, no doubt, Leica and Zeiss will feel compelled to follow.
Speed of focus could best be compared if manufacturers would quote the number of turns (or better still the circumferencial distance) for 5m to infinity.

John

How many turns does Swarovision need to go from 4 ft to 8 ft? My old EL can go down to 8 ft, which I feel slightly less than perfect. Then, from 8 ft to infinity, does new EL have a faster focus speed?

John

Previous posts on other Swaro threads have indicated that the new Swarovisions take two complete turns to go from 5 feet (1.5 meters) to infinity--one turn from 5 feet to 10 feet (3.3 meters), then one more turn from 10 feet to infinity. I agree with John that speed of focus in the number of turns of the focus wheel from 5 meters (17 feet) to infinity is a better indicator of focus speed.

Previous posts on other Swaro threads have indicated that the new Swarovisions take two complete turns to go from 5 feet (1.5 meters) to infinity--one turn from 5 feet to 10 feet (3.3 meters), then one more turn from 10 feet to infinity. I agree with John that speed of focus in the number of turns of the focus wheel from 5 meters (17 feet) to infinity is a better indicator of focus speed.

Translation: the focus is on the slow side. The Zeiss 8x32 FL focus down to 5 feet, but only requires one revolution of its focus knob to reach infinity. The large size of the knob and its smooth action allows for quick yet precise focusing. I'm disappointed that the new EL ratio is so low, and that they didn't use a dual ratio or shifting ratio system like the Pentax Papilio or Brunton Epoch.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back