• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk spotted while on horseback-ID? (1 Viewer)

buckskin hawk

Oklahoma Birder
I was riding my quarter horse through the pasture. It has recently turned to fall temperatures and I was riding this one to get him ready for his girl to come and ride. (The cold weather gives the horses a frisky attitude.) He stopped and starred intently at a patch of ground across the pond. Then I saw a hawk dining on something. Crossing the draw and walking slowly to that side of the pond, I could see that this was no ordinary Red Tail. The hawk lifted just a few feet from us and my horse flinched but remained standing (AH! GOOD BOY). The hawk perched itself on the fence and continued to dine on the meat. I was able to watch only 3 fence posts away (about 12 feet). After completing the meal, he lifted off and flew away. It was sure cool and I didn't need my bins. :bounce:

ID Question:: This hawk had four bands on its tail with red streaks on a white breast. The back was redish brown and the underside seen when flying was mostly white with some dark streaking. The underside of the wings were tipped in black and on the backside the wings had a red stripe across them in the same direction as a common nighthawk. I am really thinking Juvenile Red-Shouldered Hawk. Is the red stripe indicative of the Red Shouldered only?--It was so distinctive.

buckskin hawk said:
I was riding my quarter horse through the pasture. It has recently turned to fall temperatures and I was riding this one to get him ready for his girl to come and ride. (The cold weather gives the horses a frisky attitude.) He stopped and starred intently at a patch of ground across the pond. Then I saw a hawk dining on something. Crossing the draw and walking slowly to that side of the pond, I could see that this was no ordinary Red Tail. The hawk lifted just a few feet from us and my horse flinched but remained standing (AH! GOOD BOY). The hawk perched itself on the fence and continued to dine on the meat. I was able to watch only 3 fence posts away (about 12 feet). After completing the meal, he lifted off and flew away. It was sure cool and I didn't need my bins. :bounce:

ID Question:: This hawk had four bands on its tail with red streaks on a white breast. The back was redish brown and the underside seen when flying was mostly white with some dark streaking. The underside of the wings were tipped in black and on the backside the wings had a red stripe across them in the same direction as a common nighthawk. I am really thinking Juvenile Red-Shouldered Hawk. Is the red stripe indicative of the Red Shouldered only?--It was so distinctive.

Moments like this are priceless, I am jealous.

Well, from your description I think you identified this bird correctly. It sounds to me like an adult eastern Red-shouldered, which will have orange/reddish breast streaks and red shoulders. Juvenile would be mostly brown with very little red. What I don’t like is the mostly white wing underside – There should be some orange under the shoulders.
What color was his tail?

here is a pic from Database:

http://www.birdforum.net/bird_view.php?bid=6627

Last edited:
The redish tone in your picture is the right hue but the breast had more white with redish streaks. (It wasn't as red as my horse that I was riding.) The tail was redish with four dark brown/black bars that I actually counted. The tail was not as red as the Red Tailed that are so numerous. I was also looking at the Cooper's Hawk or a Broad Winged but the red patch on the wings was so distinctive. The Red Shouldered is the only hawk that mentions this red patch in my Sibleys.

It is priceless when my horse becomes a good bird watcher. I don't know if I would have noticed the hawk without the horse stopping and starring so intently. I looked for the hawk again today but couldn't see anything. I only heard a hawk, Pee---eeer which sounded like a Red Tailed to me. I have seen lots of them.

Well. I know only one Hawk with red tail and that is Red-tailed Hawk. Juvenile’s tail isn’t red so maybe your bird was in transition plumage? Can’t explain red shoulders although I have seen very light, adult RTH which could pass for “red”. I also don’t think Red-shoulder Hawk could have a red tail.

The bird definitely wasn't a Red Tailed. I have seen lots of them and this guy was definitely different. Four definite bands on his tail, redish tone over the back and redish streaked breast, and those red wing patches. The bird was seen in the open with lots of direct sun light which would tend to make the colors more vibrant. From the pics in my Sibleys, the local population records and those red wing patches, I am going with the Red shouldered-possibly a juvenile. Thanks for the help with the ID.

My original questions were: "Is the Red Shouldered Hawk the only one with a redish wing patch that runs in the same direction as a common nighthawk?" "Is this patch an good indicator?" I have never noticed a red wing patch running in that direction on a hawk before. I have only ID Red Shouldered hawks in the spring with adult plumage.

PS By redish I mean slightly browner than my Sorel (chestnut) horse. Thanks for the help.

I saw him again yesterday evening in the light of a sunset. He was just sitting on about the same fence post and let us ride closer. (I was riding my chestnut Thoroughbred. The hawk isn't quite as red as the horse but close.) He is definitely a red shouldered hawk. The red in the shoulders stood out more last night since he was turned with his back facing me and he still has those dark bands on his tail. He just sat and watched us as if he was sizing us up. We rode off and I proceeded to work my horse in the arena. During breaks in our workout, I could see him just sitting on the fence post-most likely waiting for a meal.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back