• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this? (1 Viewer)

tf1044x

Found two or three running around my kitchen this morning.

Size, 3mm x 1.5mm and it can fly. I suspect it is some kind of ladybird but really have no idea.

tf

Attachments

• Pict0004.jpg
    Pict0004.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 146
tf1044x said:

Size, 3mm x 1.5mm and it can fly. I suspect it is some kind of ladybird but really have no idea.

tf

It certainly looks like a ladybird and many do hibernate inside houses, I'll have to try and find my Ladybird book to try and ID it but that won't be until tomorrow as I'm off out right now.

Harry

Looks like Varied Carpet Beetle Anthrenus verbasci to me. A common indoor minor pest, the larvae feed on fluff, etc., and can cause damage to carpets, etc

tf1044x said:

tf

Hello tf,
I have blown up your 'thumbnail' to a much larger size and altered the brightness/contrast. It is apparent to me now, that this isn't a Ladybird, although it's very similar to them. It is more likely to be, as Nutcracker suggests, a Carpet Beetle of some sort. Sadly, there are very few good, modern identification guides available on British Beetles.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back