• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One for you pipit freaks... (1 Viewer)

And while we're at it, I found this today as well....

Attachments

• Wapit160404e.jpg
    Wapit160404e.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 417
I'll buy the second as a Wapit :)

Got any more views of the first... and what was it acting like? Looks most like Mipit to me.

Sorry Jane, no more photos it was a secretive little blighter - all the other pipits were out on the tide wrack but this one just kept grovelling around in the long grass at the edge of the beach and seemed loathe to go out into the open. But it gave a very distinctive call when it flew - if I described it, you'd get it straight away ;)

So it went buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . What happened to its head pattern and flank stripes? Its has got a good bill and looks like it might be wingy though..... er just checking.. it didn't go speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze did it...?

So... ermmm... aww come on folks... you know I can't do these damn things... let me in on the secret... Rock? Tree? Tawny????

Hi Chris,
REALLY??I thought I'd come to grips with Tree Pipit ID based on the two I saw in Bulgaria and reference to photos etc!Your bird has the 'wrong' bill structure and colour,'wrong' flank streaking,far from classic head pattern,no hint of buff to breast/flanks etc!
While not suggesting anything,could the call have come from an unseen flyover Tree Pipit?If not,then chaos reigns!
The second bird looks like Water Pipit,but I'm not sure what to make of the prominence of the eyering...?
Harry

Yeah, I know what you mean about the first bird Harry, which is why I posted it. But it definitely gave the classic Tree Pipit call a couple of times. There was a second more 'classic' bird present but that was about 100yds further up the beach.
I have no doubts whatsoever about the Wapit.

Tree/Meadow...I am 100% certain of ID on calling birds, 100% certain of ID on non-calling overhead birds... but as soon as they land in front of you...they get hard!

Hi Chris,
CJW said:
Yeah, I know what you mean about the first bird Harry, which is why I posted it. But it definitely gave the classic Tree Pipit call a couple of times. There was a second more 'classic' bird present but that was about 100yds further up the beach.
Thanks for that!While I don't doubt you for a second,I STILL can't really buy it based on the pic!Maybe the odd Mipit can impersonate the flight call of Tree?
BTW,not fair that you should have TWO birds and I still haven't seen one over here!There's not exactly a large distance from the IOM to S.Ireland!

I have no doubts whatsoever about the Wapit.
Yeah,looks really good for one,the eyering may be a photographic artefact?Mantle is nice and brown.
Harry

another pile of really bad water pipit pics.

ps. that aint a tree pipit CJW. You must have taken a pic of the wrong pipit!! heh

Attachments

• wapit.jpg
    wapit.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Criticism from the protege! There's gratitude for you.
Did you enjoy the Water Pipit I found for you?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back