• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

anyone knows what are these?? (1 Viewer)

gwsudiro

Indonesia
hello...^_^

I'm wondering, maybe friends @ BF know about these binoculars...

they are claimed as binoculars made by Jenoptik AG..

here's the specs:

for the 10x :
Magnification Power: 10x
Lens Objective: 30mm
Exit Pupil: 3.0
Type: Porro
Size: Mid Size
Prisms: Bak4 Prisms Construction
Lens Coating: Multi Coated Optics
Field of View: 289ft @ 1000yards

for the 8x :
Magnification Power: 8x
Lens Objective: 30mm
Eye Relief: 18mm (High/Long Eye Relief)
Exit Pupil: 3.0
Type: Porro
Size: Mid Size
Prisms: Bak4 Prisms Construction
Lens Coating: Multi Coated Optics
Field of View: 368ft @ 1000yards

I've ever read about Jenoptik AG, but never heard of their bins...any thoughts will be appreciated..

for your kind help, many thanks before...^_^

best regards

Galih

Attachments

• jenoptik.jpg
    jenoptik.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 251
hi Tero! ^_^

do you think the bino in my attachment is jb-22?
no image of jb-22 at pricerunner ...

and that exit pupil in 8x30 model (in spec I wrote) is wrong...I just did copy-paste on that spec...^^

are these ''made in Germany'' ?? cause I can get it for about $40...seems good price...^^

best regards

Galih

Jenoptik is I believe a new brand seeking to benefit from the luster of Jena, which had been the home for Zeiss pre war.
After Germany was reunited, the Zeiss name became sole property of Zeiss West Germany and until the Zeiss Jena binocular operations were taken over by Docter, the Jena production was sold under the "Aus Jena" (from Jena) or "Jenoptik" names.
Once Docter took over the Zeiss Jena binocular plants, Jenoptik lost any connection to the Zeiss heritage or facilities, at least as far as I know. Imo, Jenoptik today is a marketing name for low cost binoculars of international provenance.They market a range of middling binoculars, most notable for their unusual shapes and colors. I've owned a couple and sold them with no regrets. I do not think they are German made or even assembled in Germany from foreign parts.

Hi Yippeekiay,
Very interesting posting. Valdad is presumably the US distributor for IOR,a Romanian optics manufacturer that produced Zeiss Jena near replicas with the same Schott glass types used by Zeiss
The Jena binoculars shown look exactly like the range offered by Docter, the firm that took over the old Zeiss Jena plant. I've owned their 12x50 Nobilem, a splendid glass and the 7x40 EDF is likewise a legend among military binoculars. It is possible that Docter has licensed IOR to produce these designs, or has just sold them the business. Docter's primary market is industrial optics applications, so the consumer binocular line was never a mainstream business for them. It seems like musical chairs is not unheard of in European business either.
Any new reviews of the Valdada line would be very interesting. The 15x60 Docter version was well reviewed because of its fine optics, but got dinged for its near 4 pound weight. I don't think any of these big porros are waterproof, but they are rubber armored and will shrug off a normal rain, at least in my experience.

Hi,
Good news, 7X40EDFs coming back. If they keep their outstanding night performance, for wildlife no astronomy, I'll consider a pair. Hoping review of any user.

Fernando

While the 7x40EDF has excellent low light performance, its appeal has been reduced for civilian use by its IF design as well as by the noticeable yellow cast of the image. Hopefully the yellow glass, which was allegedly so formulated to resist darkening due to radiation exposure, has now been replaced by a more peacetime specification.

That would be cool. I have a pair of KOMZ BPO's and the yellow definitely detracts from some forms of birding like warblers and such. Raptors, however, can't hide from them. Even at more than a mile and a half (googled distance). Plus, I never did find IF oculars all that bad. Just have to hold them differently. Even w/ my Fujinon 7x50's the DOF what such that refocusing was infrequent.
As much as I'd LOVE to try the EDF's, $1200 just isn't in the cards. Maybe it's time to start a new fund. :t:
Likewise, I'd love to see some reviews on these.
(Oh, I'm pretty sure the Jena porros are waterproof )

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back