• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex razor 8x42 vs Zeiss Conquest hd 8x42 (1 Viewer)

I'm sure someone more qualified than I will offer an opinion but I compared them side by side and thought the optics were about equal with maybe the HD's having an edge but the Vortex had a better eye cup/eye relief set-up (no black outs). Regardless, I bought the HD's as I liked them better over all.

The eye cups failed on mine, twice, but Zeiss USA made it more than all right and I would make the same choice again. The Razors might be more attractive if they were priced around the HD prices.

Can anyone offer their thoughts? I am looking for a new pair for my wife.

The correct thought is: if you are going to spend $1000, try them both and let her decide which she prefers. Both are excellent, probably the top dogs at the $1k price point*, so it's going to come down to personal preference. The Razor may have some appeal ergonomically since it is a bit more slender and a few oz lighter. But it's so close the subjective factors are going to decide it.

* (leaving out the Meopta Meostar HD and Alpen Rainier HD since they are a bit heavier and my assumption is a lady ain't gonna wanna carry a 30+ oz bin)

I am assuming that you are referring to the 3rd generation Razor, which is a much better bino than the earlier versions that can still be easily found. We have an 8x32 Conquest HD, and a 10x42 Razor 3rd gen.. When I was shopping for a good 10x42, I tried the Conquest HD, Razor, and Meopta HD. I finally decided that there wasn't anything about the image from any of them that would make me pick one over the other. All three are excellent! However, it was my subjective evaluation of things such as focus knob feel, texture of rubber, overall appearance, overall handling, etc. that made me prefer the Razor over the others.

I will say that at current common retail prices, the Razor is not what I would have ended up with. I do not believe that it is worth more than the other two models, but should instead be priced about the same. Because of the price difference, I was about to go with a Conquest HD. However, I came into a used but essentially mint condition Razor at an excellent price, so I jumped on it.

I wouldn't worry about picking either one as far as the view is concerned. Instead, make your decision based on your wife's subjective evaluation of things such as ergonomics. Keep in mind that these have a fair amount of weight to them. Does your wife already have experience with moderately-heavy binos, and is willing to deal with the weight? I ask because my wife does not care for our 42mm binos, even if the Razor is one of the lighter ones. If your wife is already used to the weight of these 42mm binos, then you won't go wrong with any of these three.

I've been able to try the Conquest HD, Viper HD as possible alternative models like the Kowa Genesis, Meostar HD, Trinovid and others at the UK Birdfair, but not side by side unfortunately. My opinion was that the Conquest HD and Trinovid trailed the others by a tiny margin on sharpness, CA and contrast. The Viper HD was a little smaller and lighter than some of the others, but if that's important then the Conquest HD 8x32 gave very little away on performance, has a wider view, close focus and was rather fun to use.

David

She has now tried every bino we could find in our city. She loves the Razor
8X42 she says it fits her hands and loves the weight and optics. I also just ordered the 10X42 for dual duty (Hunting and Birding). I will let you know my thoughts when they arrive. She is very Possessive of her new Razors. LOL

She did like the Swaro 8X32 a lot. She just did not feel they were worth the price and stated they did not feel secure in her hands.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back