• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ng Tung Chai, Hong Kong (2 Viewers)

Thanks Halftwo and Gretchen

These chrysanthemums are used in the funeral business for wreath-making.

I've spent the last couple of mornings at Kadoorie Farm and Ng Tung Chai. Neither was very productive, although they're both lovely spots.

The best birds at the Farm were a pair of Buff-bellied Flowerpeckers, although i did have 3 Red-flanked Bluetails, a Grey-backed Thrush and my first Blyth's Leaf Warbler of the winter. I had no luck looking or Chestnut-bellied Rock Thrush, for which the Farm is the only regular wintering site in HK.

Other common birds that showed well enough to b photographed included a Fork-tailed Sunbird and Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker. The real highlights were the terrific ferns near the entrance and magnificent fruiting fig at Kwun Yum Shan. The gecko sp. hibernating on the funkily retro bathroom tiles was so conked out that it let me try to pull off the wisp of unshed skin without moving a millimetre.

In the evening I heard but did not see the Brown Wood Owl again.

I had to work rather harder at Ng Tung Chai, as, unlike the Farm, there was no bus to take me up to the top. Once again the quality was all lower down - starting with an unusually showy Lesser Shortwing , a pristine Verditer Flycatcher and a Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler which got me excited my giving a very wierd call, but then gave the game away with a single burst of its whiplash song. A pair of Mountain Bulbuls gave excellent views, but apart from the usual bag of Pallas's and Yellow-browed Warblers and 3 or Red-flanked Bluetails, that was it.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN3819 FT Sunbird bf.jpg
    DSCN3819 FT Sunbird bf.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN3827 FB Flowerpecker bf.jpg
    DSCN3827 FB Flowerpecker bf.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN3835 shedding gecko bf.jpg
    DSCN3835 shedding gecko bf.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN3810 KFBG ferns bf.jpg
    DSCN3810 KFBG ferns bf.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN3815 uber fig tree bf.jpg
    DSCN3815 uber fig tree bf.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
My holiday birding was rudely cut short on Friday night when Carrie and I were bitten by a neighbour's dog, which has required us to stay in hospital until at least Monday to have intravenous antibiotics. Thankfully the bites are not serious but deep enough that the risk of infection requires the treatment.

The dog apparently has a history of biting people and regularly fights with my landlady's dog (who is more than big enough to look after himself). Since I often walk her dog I think the biter associated me with him and just went for us. Thankfully the landlady's dog was with us and immediately piled in, which was a good thing as we had tripped over each other and were lying on the ground. The bummer is that we didn't even have any good birds on the walk before this happened!

When things are a bit more settled I'll post a picture of our hands down candidate for man's best friend!

Best wishes to all for a less exciting 2011 than our end to 2010!

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

Very sorry to hear of your scary mishap. Maybe you could reroute your next visiting serpent to the neighbor's house of your choice.

In Hong Kong is there any satisfactory recourse in a case like this?

Too, maybe in the future you could carry a water pistol with liquid deterrent (ammonia ? ).

Best for 2011,

Norm

Sorry to hear that, Mike. Hope you & Carrie are fully fit soon. Dogs are bad enough when they're threatening you, but actually to be injured is too much.

Best wishes for 2011.

Hi Mike,

Like many others, I am sure, I have been checking this page for further news about your mishap the other day. Do hope the hospital results are favorable and that all this is (somehow) soon past, and that you are in business again discovering and reporting on the winged doings of your valley. Best to you and to your wife.

Norm Farrell

Many thanks for all the kind words wishing us well.

We both came out of hospital today, but I especially will still be hobbling about for a week or two. There is no real risk of rabies in HK, but the dog is now under observation, and his owner has decided it won't be coming home.

As for returning with a nice bat . . . the reason I have been innoculated against rabies is that I was bitten by one when extracting it from an illegal mistnet 3 years ago!

Hope to be able to report some actual birds in the not too distant future.

Anyway, here's the hero of the hour . . .

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN3978 Ling Ling Fat bf.jpg
    DSCN3978 Ling Ling Fat bf.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 70
Great to hear that things are getting better and you don't have to do the unpleasant rabies shots. Hope the healing progresses well.

Handsome hero there.

Trying to avoid hobbling at all by staying at home . . . and still struck gold with a fine Dusky Thrush that twice gave its distinctive, rather duck-like call before perching for a few seconds amongst the bulbuls at the top of a bare tree early this morning. It showed a fine broad supercilium and rather pale underparts with just a light chain of spotting across the upper breast.

This is my first patch tick of the year, and a good claw-back as I missed two birds which showed well near She Shan for a couple of days back in Nov 2009.

This is my 14th thrush species for Lam Tsuen (the number represent my own sightings):

Blue Whistling Thrush est. 2-5 pairs breed

Orange-headed Ground Thrush - 3 records
Siberian Thrush - c. 10 records (winter and autumn)
White's Thrush - 1-2 per year

Blue Rock Thrush (philippensis and pandoo)
White-throated Rock Thrush - 2 records
Chestnut-bellied Rock Thrush - c. 6-8 records (all Kadoorie Farm)

Chinese Blackbird - up to 100 birds winter
Grey-backed Thrush -regular winter visitor
Japanese Thrush - regular winter visitor
Brown-headed Thrush - 1 record
Pale Thrush - seen most years
Eye-browed Thrush - 2-3 records
Dusky Thrush - first record this morning

This list could expand if:

1. the red-bellied race philippensis race of Blue Rock Thrush is split from the all-blue pandoo.

2. Siberian Thrush is split. Brazil illustrates two races The nominate race sibirica has a pale belly, while davisoni, which was split in 1877 (see La Touche 1930 The Birds of East China) as Davison's Thrush, breeds in Japan and on Sakhalin, is dark-bellied. There is some debate whether the wintering birds we get are davisoni, while the passage birds in September/October are sibirica.

3. Other thrushes on the HK list are found. It would be a major discovery as there are less than five records of Chinese Song Thrush(2), Naumann's Thrush(3), Black-throated(1) and Red-throated (1) Thrushes.

4. I find a first for HK! Grey-sided which breeds around Beijing and winters in Thailand is the most likely. Anything else would be astonishing.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
A female Grey-backed Thrush joined Crested and Chinese Bulbuls poking about in the veggie patch today.

There was also a Buzzard, closely watched by a couple of Magpies and about 20 Crested Myna, and a rather odd-looking, sort-tailed Crested Goshawk, which two days in a row has been buzzed by a Besra.

Cheers
Mike

Ahh, can't keep a good man down, hope it heals soon Mike.

Surprised to see that Grey-sided would be a first, they surely must come through.

Thanks Mark

The stitches come out tomorrow and a cold front has just come through, so hoping for some gentle birding this weekend.

I've been looking out for Grey-sided Thrush for years.

Cheers
Mike

I wonder if it's down to the small numbers of Eye-browed as away from the breeding grounds, almost all of the Grey-sided I've seen on passage have been with EBT, perhaps the main 'carrier' species?

A few birds during the week included a Black-winged Cuckooshrike and a Yellow-browed Warbler in the veggie patch, a couple of Silky Starlings on the scaffolding of the house being built nearby and a Buzzard being inspected by a Magpie and a posse of Crested Myna.

There were a few birds on the patch this afternoon - another Black-winged Cuckooshrike, an Ashy Drongo, a couple of Red-flanked Bluetails, ten Hair-crested Drongos, a female Daurian Redstart and bunch of Crested Mynas and Black-necked Starlings feeding on a newly-burned grassland.

On the way home a Velvet-fronted Nuthatch was calling from the top of the scaffolding on another house under construction.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• buzzard, magpie, crested myna.jpg
    buzzard, magpie, crested myna.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN3989 BW Cuckooshrike.jpg
    DSCN3989 BW Cuckooshrike.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN4011 Crested Myna 1.jpg
    DSCN4011 Crested Myna 1.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN4019 Crested Myna - 2.jpg
    DSCN4019 Crested Myna - 2.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN4024 Ashy Drongo.jpg
    DSCN4024 Ashy Drongo.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 68
The Dusky Thrush showed up on top of a different tree this morning and there were Grey-backed Thrushes all over the place.

Tai Om Shan also held a flock of 20-odd Grey-chinned Minivets and the regular Greenish Warbler.

Another birder, Kwan also had a male Fujian Niltava there yesterday.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN4026 Dusky Thrush 1 .jpg
    DSCN4026 Dusky Thrush 1 .jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN4027 Dusky Thrush 2.jpg
    DSCN4027 Dusky Thrush 2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 59
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back