• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
The saga of this book by Hadoram Shirihai & Lars Svensson (in preparation for 10 years now) continues...

Just had an e-mail from Amazon UK indicating that it can be pre-ordered for £56.25 (1200pp, publication due 31 Aug 2011). The title is given as Birds of the Western Palearctic: A Photographic Guide, but the cover illustration is titled Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds: Passerines, suggesting a 2-volume publication.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0713645717/ref=pe_25661_21459151_pe_vfe_t3

A&C Black gives no indication of publication date (and it's not mentioned in the 2011 Natural History & Ornithology Books catalogue).
http://www.acblack.com/naturalhistory/article.aspx?id=122

Anyone know more?

Richard

Hi Richard
im fairly sure it's going to be 2 volumes as Rene/AC Blacks have only been asking for 'missing' plumages for the passerines. I guess once that's done it will be on with the non passerines.
Of interest the Bookdepository had it on sale for about €50 but then bumped the price up (presumably as quite a few preorders were coming in!)
As for the different names im not sure which is correct. Can't wait to see it though.
Cheers
James

I assume Amazon don't charge until the book is delivered? Seems a good opportunity to get it at a much reduced price.
Well, maybe. But in the past I've pre-ordered a title from Amazon UK, to be informed some time later that my order has been cancelled as the book is 'unavailable', but subsequently it's re-advertised with a slightly different title/price and/or ISBN...

Richard

Hi

I am trying to get Amazon amended now (these things tend to be glacial).

The cover is correct (as is James Lidster), only the title on Amazon is wrong. Its Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds (HWPB). This will appear in two volumes (passerines first).

Cheers,
Jim

I wonder that Amazon.de has an announcement for that book with the problem that it is never in stock. On another page I've read that this book will be published in 2015. Is anyone here is knowing more?

I wonder that Amazon.de has an announcement for that book with the problem that it is never in stock. On another page I've read that this book will be published in 2015. Is anyone here is knowing more?
Fwiw, WildSounds (> Forthcoming) currently gives an availability date of mid-Jan 2016 for Vol 1, with Vol 2 scheduled for 2018.

But I wouldn't bet on it...

This was just posted by Guy Kirwan on his Facebook:
Today has marked the end for me of a very long adventure, one that has been ongoing, rather remarkably, for something in the region of 50% of my adult life (post UK voting age). The project lives still, with more layout and page proofing to do, but from my side it is basically over, as I just copy-edited the last few photo captions for a book that I guess a lot of people had almost forgotten was even happening. I refer, of course (?), to the passerines volumes of the Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds, by Hadoram Shirihai and Lars Svensson, or HBWP as we have called it throughout this long, long gestation period. It will be remarkable, I promise.

Seems like the wait will soon be over!

Maffong

I expect this book to come out for sure in 2017, and I feel I can back up that statement.

I also feel this book will be really really useful for those who want to dive deep into European birds and subspecies...

The first post on this thread dates from 2010, and it says the book was in preparation for 10 years at that point in time. But considering that the "Collins" had a preparation period of 25 years, there is still hope!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back