• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk: other insects (1 Viewer)

May Bugs

There appeared to be an emergence of Cockchafer beetles in my Norwich garden yesterday evening with several males around the patio lights.

Cheers Steve

I'd agree with Xanthogramma pedissequum but I'm not an expert. Stuart Paston is the County Hoverfly recorder and would love the record: stuartpaston AT yahoo.co.uk

An interesting few minutes, yesterday, at Warham Greens, before what I believe to be the burying (or sexton) beetle Nicrophorus interruptus flew off.

Attachments

• 204pse.jpg
    204pse.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 68
I went to a garage in Swardeston this afternoon to check out deals on second hand motors and was pleasantly surprised to see a Cockchafer clambouring around on the side of one of the cars. I naturally removed it from here and placed it in a safer greener area. With their somewhat lethargic, clumsy behaviour, I find these large insects quite comical on the rare occasions that I encounter them during the day. They are like the Sloth equivalent of the insect world

I thought the LH critter was a shield bug, at first.

On looking more carefully, it turned out to be a contradiction: a non-burying burying beetle (!) Oiceoptoma thoracicum.

Seen at Holkham today.

The (RH) Cardinal Beetle is Pyrochroa serraticornis, from Warham Greens.

Attachments

• 148pse.jpg
    148pse.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 226pse.jpg
    226pse.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 61
I have got the macro lens out again recently and found a few interesting bugs to photograph. I have no idea what they are so they are probably all very common but thought I would share a few anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_7587.jpg
    IMG_7587.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7466.jpg
    IMG_7466.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7458.jpg
    IMG_7458.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6838.jpg
    IMG_6838.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7584.jpg
    IMG_7584.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 58
2 beetles from the garden tonight. Is the first Lesser Stag Beetle? How about Carabus Violaceus (Violet Ground Beetle) for the second? The best I could come up with from a quick glance on the internet...

Chris

Attachments

• Beetle.jpg
    Beetle.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Beetle 2.jpg
    Beetle 2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 45
Yes for the first. I believe that V. Gr. Beetle has been split into two species; which yours is I don't know.

Cheers, Thomas

Been getting double figure counts of Scorpionflies and Spotted Craneflies at several local sites in the last week or so. Can't recall ever seeing so many of either of these species before. An insect first for me recently has been the Sawfly 'tenthredo arcuata' or something very similar. And since the first sighting I've seen at least half a dozen more. A new Hoverfly for me today just outside Long Stratton was the very large 'volucella bombylans'. Wish I'd spent more time insect watching in June before, as so far, this month has been very productive.

Last edited:
Wasp Beetle!

Smart looking Wasp Beetle at Kelling WM today. Not the rarest of longhorns, but the first time I have seen one and rather splendid.

IMG_8726.jpg

Kieran

Wasp Beetle

Three on the same bush, between the main pond and the nearest houses, at Beeston Bog, on Monday.

Yes, Kieran, they are smart.

Attachments

• 018pse.jpg
    018pse.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 72
Leptura quadrifasciata, Holt Lowes

Smart pair of copulating Leptura quadrifasciata at Holt Lowes today, the first time I have seen this Longhorn.

Sorry about the crop, my photos always seem to be too large. Is there any way I can re-size the image, without cropping the photo? If that makes sense?

Kieran

IMG_889488.jpg

here are a few from my garden/house... I think that the first one is Palloptera muliebris I haven't noticed one before. No idea what the second one is so would be very interested if anyone does know. My attempts to get a hoverfly flight shot continue, this is the best so far, I'll keep trying.

Attachments

• IMG_9995.jpg
    IMG_9995.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9922.jpg
    IMG_9922.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9859.jpg
    IMG_9859.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9935.jpg
    IMG_9935.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 73
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back