• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors of Mexico and Central America (1 Viewer)

Ordered a "like new - used" copy (presumably for pre-pub review?) at Amazon last week & it shipped last Friday. Have noted the title at Birdbooker for what seems like ages. Needless to say, I'm hopeful.

Gary H

Quick first impression: thorough, comprehensive & authoritative. Authors regard it as a field guide, but I suspect most birders will use it more often as a reference. Of course, diurnal raptors are a confusing lot & one could readily justify clearing space in the field bag for this work. But then there are the gulls, and the warblers, & the sparrows & ....

Gary H

..... Authors regard it as a field guide, but I suspect most birders will use it more often as a reference. .........
Gary H

Definitely not a FG, way too large. If anything, I'd cut out the 32 plates from up front with their captions. That part would nicely complement any general FG to the area.

The allocation of space in this book is a bit towards "coffee-table" in the second and much more voluminous part. I would have preferred larger range maps. There would certainly have been a way to fit them in. I find they are great with regard to their contents, but as they are, some colors a bit hard to separate.

As a side remark: I'm glad falcons still count as raptors in the context of such a book. Far from clear after finding the falcons so far detached from the rest in modern systematics.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back