• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull, NL, Canada (1 Viewer)

cangoose

Based on the wingtips, I would say it was a Iceland (Kumlien's) Gull.
Thanks!

Attachments

• PC210023_副本.jpg
    PC210023_副本.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 100
that's what i'd call it too. it would be nice to hear something about that ring?

Thanks!
I started noticing banded gulls recently. In Dec 18th, I found a 2nd year Iceland Gull, with yellow plastic band/black code "A8". In Dec 21st, an adult Herring Gull with a aluminum band (code not identified) on the right leg and a red plastic band with black code "G5" on the left leg; the gull in the picture, red plastic band/black code unidentified.
Here is the website I report banding information:
http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/

I'd like to see more images too if possible, based on what can be seen of the wing-tip and the amount and intensity of black wouldn't Thayer's be more likely?

Difficult to say if its Kumliens or Thayers from the photo but there appears to be rather dark 'tongues' on the primaries of the right wing. A bit too dark for Kumliens? If you have any more photos they may be helpful.

Chris

There is another picture, but I don't it would help. This gull took off afterwards.
BTW, the dark tongues might be becasue I adjusted the picture to emphasize the pattern. Here is the original one.

Attachments

• pc210022_副本.jpg
    pc210022_副本.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 36
  • PC210023_副本.jpg
    PC210023_副本.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back