• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

crested caracara (Caracara plancus), Mexican Eagle (1 Viewer)

Telecorder

Telecorder
Read a local story of a rare visitor so I decided to try my luck to add a rare Eagle to my images. Unfortunately, could only get to about 400' from this subject and the noon thermal interference played havoc with the IQ.

Of course, about the time I mounted my Sigma 1.4X TC, he decided to do some flyovers. In the heat of the moment, had to pull back to ~195-mm x 1.4X = ~320-mm EQ to track...

Went back Sunday but struck out
;-{

How Stephan managed to catch his great image attests to his timing & skill...
http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/bird_5181___article.html/caracara_crested.html

VICTORVILLE— Recent sightings of a rare bird, the crested caracara (Caracara plancus), at the Mojave Narrows Regional Park have begun to draw local interest.

This is thought to be the first sighting of this type of bird in San Bernardino County.

Reports from the community say that this crested caracara has taken up in a pasture north of Horseshoe Lake in the park.

While the High Desert is home to several different species of wildlife, the crested caracara is rarely seen this far north. According to Audubon.org, its normal range is from Baja California and Mexico to South America, with sightings reported in the southern portions Florida, Texas and Arizona.

--

Attachments

• 50_4283 [800x600].jpg
    50_4283 [800x600].jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 50-_4298 [800x600].jpg
    50-_4298 [800x600].jpg
    27 KB · Views: 85
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back