• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ducks with Common Eiders, NL, Canada (1 Viewer)

cangoose

Yesterday, I saw some Common Eiders. Also, There were some ducks, which looked different.
In pic1: the 2nd duck from the top.
In pic2: the duck with dark head, dark body but light neck/chest.
Sorry for the poor quality. And, I only took my binos and didn't get much detail.
Thanks for any suggestion!o:)

Attachments

• P3070055_副本.jpg
    P3070055_副本.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 104
  • p3070040_副本.jpg
    p3070040_副本.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 95
it's hard to make out much, but I suspect the second bird at least, and probably the 1st one as well, is a 2nd year male Common Eider. They slowly acquire their adult plumage and often show some odd intermediate plumages.

it's hard to make out much, but I suspect the second bird at least, and probably the 1st one as well, is a 2nd year male Common Eider. They slowly acquire their adult plumage and often show some odd intermediate plumages.

Thanks! I just sent these pictures to a local birder, and he said the same thing. Other birders went there as well but they didn't report anything other than Common Eiders. So, I think other "difference" may be just because of the light.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back