• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (2 Viewers)

Longham Lakes Tues 19 April 2011

A very brief visit hoping to see the Ortolan, but dipped. However, a Pair of Garganey seen several times on the larger lake gave good views especially when they made their way to the Island and viewed through a scope (thanks Dominic and nice to meet you at last).

Rest of the circuit of the large lake
Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Mallard, a pair of Canada Geese, and several pairs of Great Crested Grebe displaying.

Amongst the Gulls mostly Black-headed, some Herring and Lesser Black Backed were 2 Adult Mediterranean Gulls which flew off south calling and either the same pair or two others about 15mins later flying along the West shore. Also, tucked away in the SW corner being harassed by the Black-heads was the Juvenile Little Gull.

Also had 2 pairs Reed Bunting, Whitethroat singing W end of causeway, and several Chiffchaff at various points. Pair of Linnet half way along the causeway.

Ray

Anyone got any thoughts on this bonaparte's claim?

Chris

Chris

Agree with your comments about structure but there are other oddities here.
1. The distribution of the hood looks all wrong for either gull (too low at the front), the extended piece appearing black compared to rest of head, but could be a photo artefact.
2. In the 1st photo there is clear indication of first summer secondaries which do not appear to be in 2nd photo. However 2nd does show dark subterminal tail band.
3. Also the white eye crescents are more BH than Bonaparte being reasonably distinct.
4. What are the black threads appearing to come from the primary tips, also an artefact?

I would suggest shape alone is indicating Black-headed see http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?140313-Bonaparte-s-Gull for comparison photo.

Ray

Last edited:
Ray

In answer to your first point about the hood shape I find it misleading with ills as the posture of an individual birds can change the way their hood looks from one moment to the next, ie if they sit down or preen the hood shape can completely change.

Chris

I was wondering if anyone had a bit more information on where the Night Heron is currently being seen? Is the part of the Stour where you walk from Throop (where the old donkey sanctuary used to be many years ago)? Any help much appreciated!!

I was wondering if anyone had a bit more information on where the Night Heron is currently being seen? Is the part of the Stour where you walk from Throop (where the old donkey sanctuary used to be many years ago)? Any help much appreciated!!

According to Birguides park in Granby Road car park and walk downstream. bird at SZ100965.

I see that Poole Park model boat club has negotiated a 3 year deal with Bournemouth Water to start using Longham Lake for sailing their boats. Also talk of having a pontoon built to make it easier to launch boats etc. They plan to sail on Tuesday's and Saturday's and hope to increase weekly visits to match their needs. I guess they will be allowed to use the anglers car park too. Maybe they will relax the rules and allow birders to use it also.

Paul.

This morning there were radio controlled model sailing boats on the "Big" lake. Also a Kayak !.
Speaking to one of the fishermen, he said that unpowered recreational use was to be allowed on the lake.
The model sailing boat owners were using the car park. I am not sure if the kayak was anything to do with the model boats, ie putting out bouys for the sail boats to race round.

Otherwise a very nice morning at the lakes, lots of Whitethroat, a Northern Wheatear, Greylag Geese being seen off by the Canada Geese, Reed Buntings and Reed Warbler, the later heard but not seen.
G.C Grebes displaying and several families of Mallard with young. And heard Cuckoo towards Hampreston.

Green Lane may well get even busier for parking if Haskins eventually sign a lease for allotments in the field behind the rusty gate just inside Green lane. I believe there will only be approx 7 spaces for allotment cars inside the field.

Pictures from this morning can be seen on our website at the bottom of the page here

http://www.digiscoping.lynandmalc.co.uk/p6000page4.htm

Malc

Last edited:
Longham Lakes late morning 27/04/2011

Fresh cool NE wind but lovely day nevertheless.

Swifts 6, Swallow, Sand Martin and a few House Martins.

Cuckoo 1 and drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker in the West wood, with Wheatear on the path nearby.

Singing Chiffchaff, Whitethroat, Reed Warbler (everywhere) and 3 pairs of Reed Bunting.

Mallard, Gadwall and Tufted Ducks. Pair of Shelduck, drake departed on his own.

Lesser Black-backed Gull 4, Herring Gull 2. Lots of Blackheaded Gulls apparently feeding on a hatch of insects on the large lake.

Lapwing 1, Common Sandpiper 1 (possibly 2), Little Ringed Plover 3.

Ray

Managed to find 30 minutes at lunch to speed bird the subalpine warbler at The Nothe. Pretty good views too considering it was directly above our heads.
Chris

not a bird sighting but a prettty exciting one none the less. Vagrant Emperor in Weymouth today, we finally got a definate and theres no doubting this one credentials! I've stuck a picture up on my blog http://www.welshbirderindorset.blogspot.com/

Other birdnews from weymouth, the pair of nesting Kingfishers at Radipole now appear to be feeding young. they started getting much more active yesturday and they've been very busy today!

Longham, yesterday

Nice walk before work but not much to see - difficult to think of anything that was a highlight... one male pochard!?
Chris

Couple of days ago, I was watching the Herons flying around the top of the pine trees at Hengistbury Head, noticed a pure white one, at first thought it was a Little Egret, but it was the same size as a Heron, could it be an albino?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back