• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (50 Viewers)

Hello All,

I had a great day Birdwatching yesterday at Upton Warren.:t: I saw 49 confirmed species yesterday.
I have only been Birdwatching for about a year, and are still "wet behind the Ears", compared to many other Birdwatchers, but I am learning all the time, and yesterday I spotted my first Sedge Warbler. After conformation, and at first a "Mistaken Identity", I looked it up, and saw more of them later in the day.
It was great to see all the Avocets with young. It is a pleasure to see them breeding so well on the Flashes Pools. I really enjoy watching the young swipe feeding, learning to feed like the adult birds.
I would like to get to Upton more often, but I have to pick my visits due to transport, but everytime I visit, it is a good day. I simply have to get there more Often|:D|

I would like to take this Opportunity to Thank all the People who Volunteer their time to make Upton Warren such a Lovely place to Visit. I am a Wildlife Trust Member, and thoroughly think the place is a Gem within the Worcestershire Birdwatching area.
Thank You. Keep up the good work. I hope to visit again soon.

I'm giving Hurcott Pool/Wood area a Go tomorrow, its a New Area for me, So heres hoping for a good day Birding. :t:

Originally posted by Gertatron

Well done with your marathon watch over the last two weeks (I was most jealous!) and thanks for the texts - I wouldn't have seen half of the goodies without them
I too would like to thank Dave for the generosity shown in sharing his expertise and in pointing out birds that I would otherwise have missed. When he breaks the record this year it will be well deserved.

Peter

Thanks Phil,

BirdTrack has a Willow Tit in 2009 but wintering birds predominate the recent records as you suggest. Sad but rather intriguing. I've seen them regularly elsewhere this Spring so was sure there would be one or two on Saturday.

Paul

Hi Paul - there have been one or two reports in recent years but none have been accepted by / submitted to the County Recorder. The last accepted record was on the 14th November 2004.

As the current author of the reserve's annual report I was not aware of any claimed sightings in 2009 so I have to look into that.

Phil

Plagiarism's a great thing matey! Just lending a hand - thought you might have too much on your plate, t'is all. Nothing more, nothing less.

As the current author of the reserve's annual report I was not aware of any claimed sightings in 2009 so I have to look into that.

Phil

Sorry, didn't mean to cause problems. I've not used Birdtrack before so it's quite possible I've misunderstood what I was looking at - probably a record from a completely different square. Just ignore me.

Paul

Sorry, didn't mean to cause problems. I've not used Birdtrack before so it's quite possible I've misunderstood what I was looking at - probably a record from a completely different square. Just ignore me.

Paul

No worries Paul - we are always grateful for as many records as possible to build up a picture of the birdlife on the reserve.

I too would like to thank Dave for the generosity shown in sharing his expertise and in pointing out birds that I would otherwise have missed. When he breaks the record this year it will be well deserved.

Peter

My pleasure, Peter. I'd gladly spend all day every day down Upton if I could - especially at this time of year. Only 14 to go for the record - doesn't sound a lot but could still be tricky. :t:

My pleasure, Peter. I'd gladly spend all day every day down Upton if I could - especially at this time of year. Only 14 to go for the record - doesn't sound a lot but could still be tricky. :t:

I didn't manage anything scintillating or new today. The Biking Birder managed to pick out a Whimbrel flying south-east across the orchard, while still rubbing the sleep out of his eyes somewhere around 6am this morning. The only different bird from yesterday (for me) was a Dunlin at the Moors Pool.

There seems to be 6 broods of avocet chicks now, comprising 19 individuals (I think!). The 3 Lapwing chicks look in fine fettle and the one remaining Oystercatcher chick from the Moors Pool is also shaping up well. The Garden Warbler was singing and showing well in the Education Reserve this morning.

Though it was a somewhat disappointing day for yours truly I shall return early doors tomorrow in the hope of unearthing something new to add to my UW Year List. :t:

Spotted Flycatcher is the 140th species recorded at Upton Warren in 2011.

Overall average return date: 14th May
Average return date for last 10 years: 19th May
Earliest ever return date: 24th April (2006)

This bird (8th May) was therefore a week ahead of schedule. That is all the summer migrants now recorded unless Turtle Dove again pops up this year.

Sy's Raft

Here it is
Me and Stu Croft sorted it for you Sy.
Due to the weight of the shingle I had to don the waders as it had beached. Once I had un-beached it I hadn't realised I was half way out. egged on by Stu I decided it would be easier to continue as I had by now reached the point of no return and it would be too much hassle to launch the boat.
Unfortunately the mud and water were deeper than the waders8-P but eh oh my jeans needed washing only stinking black silty water is not as good as Daz.
Hope it was worth it Sy, Thanks to Stu as well for his help.
B :)John
No need to caption the photo's

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 118
Here it is
Me and Stu Croft sorted it for you Sy.
Due to the weight of the shingle I had to don the waders as it had beached. Once I had un-beached it I hadn't realised I was half way out. egged on by Stu I decided it would be easier to continue as I had by now reached the point of no return and it would be too much hassle to launch the boat.
Unfortunately the mud and water were deeper than the waders8-P but eh oh my jeans needed washing only stinking black silty water is not as good as Daz.
Hope it was worth it Sy, Thanks to Stu as well for his help.
B :)John
No need to caption the photo's

Thats great work Sy, John Stu et al. It has been great seeing Terns properly for the first time for me this year..probably my favourite bird at the moment, and I look forward to keeping an eye on the product of your hard work to see if it encourages these critters to breed :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back