• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kuala Selangor Nature Park (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

Hi,

I'm spending my first night in Malaysia at Kuala Selangor and have spent most my time researching the places where I'm staying a bit longer. I've realised the hotel I've booked is almost 2 miles from the park, will it be possible to get a taxi to the park and how much is it likely to cost?

Also the nature park apparently opens at 9, is there much to do before then or can you walk in earlier? It's my first visit to Asia so the waders will be new (apart from those we get in Europe), are these viewable at the nature park. It's been suggested that I should stop at Pantai Remis on my way from the airport but as I plan to take a taxi, I'm not sure how feasible this is.

Anyone got any advice for birding the site? It will be my first Asian birding.

Hi,

I'm spending my first night in Malaysia at Kuala Selangor and have spent most my time researching the places where I'm staying a bit longer. I've realised the hotel I've booked is almost 2 miles from the park, will it be possible to get a taxi to the park and how much is it likely to cost?

Also the nature park apparently opens at 9, is there much to do before then or can you walk in earlier? It's my first visit to Asia so the waders will be new (apart from those we get in Europe), are these viewable at the nature park. It's been suggested that I should stop at Pantai Remis on my way from the airport but as I plan to take a taxi, I'm not sure how feasible this is.

Anyone got any advice for birding the site? It will be my first Asian birding.

I can only be of some help here.

I have birded the park very early one morning but beated a hasty retreat when we were overrun with aggressive Mosquitoes, we came back an hour later and it had calmed down. This was about 8am.... I think.

The board walk to the mud flats was in dire need of repair three years ago and we had no access to see the waders, this may be fixed now and not an issue, the boardwalk around the mangroves was good (although we missed Mangrove Blue Flycatcher)

We did an Owling session one night, we booked this at the reception inside the park where you ask for Shanker he guided us though the park at night, it worked out at about £10 for about 2-3 hrs...... we got amazing views of Buffy Fish Owl, Barred Eagle Owl amongst other stuff :t:

I enjoyed the birding inside the park where there are birding screens and poolside birding towers.

Water Monitor, Silvered Leaf Monkies can get close...... as can White Bellied Sea Eagle..... other beauties such as Stork Billed Kingfisher, Malayan Bronze Cuckoo were seen here.

We stayed in the parks Chalets (hence why we had an earlier start than 9am, but if you can get access to the chalet grounds the birding was good with plenty of Brahminy Kite, Asian Koels, Laced Woodpecker, Brown Capped Woodpecker, Sunbirds..... It will help pass the time if you have an hour to kill until 9am opening time.

Hope you get to make the visit
Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave! Will definitely seek Shankar out.

Does anyone know about access before opening?

I would advise you to email the reception of De palma hotel as this is where we stayed and birded around the grounds before the park opened picking up some good birds here.

An email asking for an hours walk around the gardens may be a good idea. Contact Information Of Del Palma Hotel Kuala Selangor is.....

Tel: +603-3289 7070 Fax: +603-3489 7080 Email: [email protected]

Other than that you will be stuck outside the gates until 9am I think

I would advise you to email the reception of De palma hotel as this is where we stayed and birded around the grounds before the park opened picking up some good birds here.

An email asking for an hours walk around the gardens may be a good idea. Contact Information Of Del Palma Hotel Kuala Selangor is.....

Tel: +603-3289 7070 Fax: +603-3489 7080 Email: [email protected]

Other than that you will be stuck outside the gates until 9am I think

Thanks Dave. Anyone been to the park recently?

The boardwalk is still in the same condition, unfortunately. So be careful when birding along the boardwalk as some of the railings are missing. Definitely no access to the mudflat from the boardwalk.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back