• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pretend this is Celestron Folder 4-TV Nagler Planetary zoom (1 Viewer)

Nixterdemus

W/o a doubt the Tele Vue Nagler 3mm-6mm zoom is nice. Maintains a constant 50* afov from 90x-180X on the Regal 100mm ED.

Nice and light w/quality view that allows one to locate/frame the view at 90X and then proceed up the ladder.

180X is about maximum for this scope and in some cases I dropped back to 160-170 or thereabouts. There's quite a bit of room to play from 4mm/135X to 3mm/180X should the later be a bit much. If I was looking for a high mag single focus the Nagler 6 82* in 3.5mm or the more recent Delos 72* in 3.5mm 154.3X would be it.

Of course for not quite/right at twice as much the Ethos 3.7mm/145.9X 110* is available. There is but one caveat. I can only focus from 22' - 150 yds. The barrel on the zoom is a few MM too long to slide far enough to focus at infinity.

The only modification that comes to mind is grinding about 4mm off the bottom of the barrel. Others have expressed horror upon hearing me proposal though they offer no solution other than return the zoom or live w/views this side of 150 yards.

Otherwise the 3-6mm was made for this scope. You frame the image and w/slight twisting motion you can go through the click stops, 6/5/4/3mm or any setting betwixt them.

Changing to high powered eyepieces and remaining the position in a non tracking spotting scope isn't hardly happening.

I have the Vixen SLV 6mm & 4mm. Lunar viewing at 135X is nice even though I'm pushing this lightweight fluid head beyond its limits. Hopefully the new extra long sliding QR plate will ship soon and I can incorporate the muscle and grace of the 516 fluid head

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back