• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

shoveller still in eclipse in January? (1 Viewer)

Alan Hargrave

Alan Hargrave
This bird was seen today on a lake on island of Crete, Greece. I photographed another shoveller in eclipse plumage there in November, and thought that was a late date for its plumage to be in that state. Now one in mid-January? Is this common for this species? Was it a very late breeder somewhere?

Attachments

• shov.jpg
    shov.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 100
Young male transitioning from first basic plumage to first alternate would be my guess. I often see shovelers in similar state here in Reno around this time of year.

By chance, having seen this post on Saturday and been surprised that a male Shoveler was still in eclipse, I came across a similar male in Norfolk on Sunday- though there was more green starting to show on its head.

Young male transitioning from first basic plumage to first alternate would be my guess. I often see shovelers in similar state here in Reno around this time of year.
Surely just a normal first winter drake Shoveler, starting to moult to adult.

Indeed, as I say. Can't tell from the wording of your post whether you are agreeing with what I said or are attempting to correct it. ;)
Thought I was disagreeing, but on checking up, more accurately converting / translating from peculiar terminology to regular terminology o:D

Thought I was disagreeing, but on checking up, more accurately converting / translating from peculiar terminology to regular terminology o:D

"Peculiar" terminology? Not at all, but the standard terminology used in the Handbook of North American Birds and many other places. But I guess you know that now, having done some "checking up". ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back