• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Linnet? or a breeding Redpoll?? (1 Viewer)

Dizzy

Hi all,
This was better than a chocolate egg for Easter :king: .Just when things seemed to be going a bit quieter (apart from the Siskins ~ greedy little beggers ;) ..I get a few more visitors to the feeders. The Redpoll I spotted last week brought some of his friends and I counted at least 3 of them on the ground, and the Linnet was back again, but never seems to stay still for long enough. Anyway, got the camera out and nearly did myself an injury leaning over the kitchen sink trying to take a picture of them. I could see the red foreheads below me and managed to get some pics (not good quality, sorry) but when I uploaded them I see a red chest also..now I'm confused..could have sworn the Linnet in the tree looked different from the pics I took, but then again ~ age, memory and all that..lol! I checked with the bto site and it says that breeding Redpolls also have a red chest!!! so can some experienced birder in here tell me which one of my 'newbies' I've caught on camera please. :bounce: Thanks

Attachments

• 000_5782.JPG
    000_5782.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 000_5781.JPG
    000_5781.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 57
Hi again Dizzy,
Congrats on the Redpolls and Linnets, though I can't help with the ID, not experienced enough sorry. I've had both in my garden last year but it was just a flying (sorry no pun intended) visit and they never returned :-C and my Siskins have now left me, I believe they come further North to breed, I really enjoyed hearing their twittering as they visited every day, oh well have to hope I see them again at the tag end of the year.
All the best, Judo.

Hi Judo,
Awwwww..sorry to hear about your Siskins leaving you (hopefully it'll be just for a wee while and that they'll be back). I hope I'm far enough North then for them to breed here ;) I did see a female grabbing some of the nesting material so heres hoping. As for the pics ~ I'm saying this is the Linnet, since I managed to catch him in a better pose this morning....although I could have sworn I was looking down at a Redpoll when he landed yesterday..lol...no matter ~ just glad to have them both. This is a much better pic, hes very pretty!.

Best wishes

Attachments

• 000_5801.JPG
    000_5801.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 000_5800.JPG
    000_5800.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 42
Hi all,
This was better than a chocolate egg for Easter .Just when things seemed to be going a bit quieter (apart from the Siskins ~ greedy little beggers ..I get a few more visitors to the feeders. The Redpoll I spotted last week brought some of his friends and I counted at least 3 of them on the ground, and the Linnet was back again, but never seems to stay still for long enough. Anyway, got the camera out and nearly did myself an injury leaning over the kitchen sink trying to take a picture of them. I could see the red foreheads below me and managed to get some pics (not good quality, sorry) but when I uploaded them I see a red chest also..now I'm confused..could have sworn the Linnet in the tree looked different from the pics I took, but then again ~ age, memory and all that..lol! I checked with the bto site and it says that breeding Redpolls also have a red chest!!! so can some experienced birder in here tell me which one of my 'newbies' I've caught on camera please. Thanks

The ones in the pics look like Redpoll to me. Lucky you, Redpoll in the garden! (and more than one aswell). I don't do jealousy, but if i did, i would be now.

All the Best Dizzy!
From

Hi Dizzy,
Definitely Redpolls. :t:
Linnets are not streaked on their backs and not as "cute" looking,also Redpolls have the white wing bars that you can see in your photo.
Lovely to have in your garden aren't they?
Best wishes,

Hi Dizzy

How wonderful about the Redpoll in your garden. I know how you feel because I had one on my niger feeder for the first time yesterday. I was sooo excited and could not believe my luck. I'm just glad I had my camera and telescope ready!

And the pair of chaffinches have been back again today. :t:

Happy birdies, Liebchen

Hi Chris....Neither do I ;) and if you believe that..you'll believe anything!..lol
Hi Ruth...thanks for that..I looked at a few sites but no two pictures were the same, I was going back and forwards like a yo-yo. Ah well..no Linnet then ;) but well chuffed with the Redpolls. Not that I'm fed up with 'my' regulars or anything but its nice to add another new one to your list.
Hi Liebchen...dont know how I managed to miss your post, but I've found it now. Great pics of yours. We are lucky arent we. I was just like you...moving the camera up to the window ever so slowly so I wouldnt frighten them away..lol (and thinking at the same time that I wished I'd given the windows a wash ;) ) might have got clearer pics! Heres hoping they stick around for us eh?

Best wishes

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back