• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greylag or Bean Goose? (1 Viewer)

fezave

Hi all:
This goose I have photographed it this evening. It was alone. Can you to say if it is Greylag or Been?.
The photos are not good, but it was too far.
Regards,
Fezave

Attachments

• Imagen-002.jpg
    Imagen-002.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Imagen-003.jpg
    Imagen-003.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 210
  • Imagen-004.jpg
    Imagen-004.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 235
Based on the pale edges which are noticeable from a distance, I would say Bean. Greylag's pale bill would also be noticeable, methinks. I was thrown off by the head shape, but I think it's the way it's posed for you lol.
Hopefully I got it right-I've made awful blunders at this before-fingers crossed!!

At the 3rd photo you see the head is not very dark and the base of the bill looks orange-- from that photo I´d rather vote for Greylag.

Jörn

Photo 3 also seems to show orange at the bill base, just by the forehead - which is typical of Greylag Goose (and not typical for Bean Goose). Also, the head looks pale, like Greylag Goose and the bulky structure looks better for Greylag Goose.

marklhawkes said:
Photo 3 also seems to show orange at the bill base, just by the forehead - which is typical of Greylag Goose (and not typical for Bean Goose). Also, the head looks pale, like Greylag Goose and the bulky structure looks better for Greylag Goose.

Greylag for me too, Mark says it all...

James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back