• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Better cure than Paracetamol!!! (1 Viewer)

Judo

Hi All,
Woke up yesterday with a headache and not feeling too good...so after sitting watching the garden birds for a while I "Picked myself up, shook myself off"........and decided that sitting feeling sorry for meself just wasn't doing me any good!! So I put Scope, bins and camera in the car and off I went to the local Flashes. Had a scan with bins and saw all the usual: Mallard, G.C.Grebe, B.T.Godwit, B.B.Gull, B.H.Gull, Wigeon, then had two firsts, for me, pointed out by a friendly birder, (thank you), Common Gull & Herring Gull, I have to admit I wouldn't have spotted 'em for meself as I don't know Gulls!! Way over the other side of the marsh were 3 Pochard, another first!! Over to the feeders next, and Robin, Blue Tits, Chaffinch were all that were there. A walk down the farm lane and I saw the Tree Sparrows that had been missing from the feeders. Then I heard a tell tale drumming....waited.....and....yes....a G.S.Woodpecker high up in the trees!! A female I think?? (see photo) drumming then flying to another branch and drumming again, and.....in the distance another drumming came in answer! Got quite a few photos before it flew away. Further on and there was a pair of Mute Swans and across the lane were two Shelducks making the most of the floodwater. I carried on walking, seeing the first Celandine's of this year growing in the verge, 'til I was almost at the farm and there on this stretch of marsh water were 3 Tufted Duck, more G.C.Grebe, Moorhen, Coot and more Shelduck. So back along the lane and saw three more G.S.Woodpeckers and a Great Tit investigating a nest box with it's mate, would it do?? I wonder! Back on to the road and across to the other side and in their usual perching tree were 6 Cormorants. The usual Gulls and water fowl were also on the water.
Took some photos, and attached a few, which I hope you enjoy seeing.
Spent an enjoyable three hours there....and the headache?......what headache??!!
All the Best to All,

Here are the first set of photos........

Attachments

• 1) Blue Tit.jpg
    1) Blue Tit.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 2) Robin.jpg
    2) Robin.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 3) Chaffinch.jpg
    3) Chaffinch.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 4)Tree Sparrow.jpg
    4)Tree Sparrow.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 5) Celandines.jpg
    5) Celandines.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 38
.....and some more........

Attachments

• 6)GSW.jpg
    6)GSW.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 7) GSW again.jpg
    7) GSW again.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 8) Mute Swans.jpg
    8) Mute Swans.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 9) Wigeon & Moorhen.jpg
    9) Wigeon & Moorhen.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 10)Great Tit at nestbox.jpg
    10)Great Tit at nestbox.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 47
.....and the last........
No 11) can anyone id this Gull for me please?? the pale one in the centre.
No 12) is my first attempt at digiscoping!! another Gull, which?? and a B.T.Godwit in the background.
and I've added 13) & 14) of a beautiful Pheasant I saw on a previous visit to the same place.

Attachments

• 11).jpg
    11).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 12)Digi scoping!!.jpg
    12)Digi scoping!!.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 50
  • 13) Pheasant.jpg
    13) Pheasant.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 14) Pheasant again!.jpg
    14) Pheasant again!.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 34
Nice photos Judo :t:

Getting out in the fresh usually does make you feel a lot better - I hate being stuck indoors at the best of times!

AS to the identity of the gulls......I'm no expert but they look like Herring to me.
I'm very wary of offering my opinion nowadays on bird ID as the number of times I've been shot down in flames for getting it wrong - even after I've said I'm not 100% but think it may be an X or a Y :h?: I think some folk forget that we were ALL beginners once ;)
No fears of that on the ex-beebers though as you are all a lot more civilised and appreciative of birds and see them for what they are instead of 'just' a tick :t:

Thanks Gill for the kind comments, and for trying to id the Gulls for me. They just looked different to others I'd already seen. Please never be afraid to have a go at id'ing (even I try occasionally!!) for anyone on here, as you say, I'm sure we're all too friendly to "shoot anyone down"!!
All the Best Gill,

Excellent, Judo! I'm no expert, but it has the look of a Herring Gull to me also...

Edit: Perhaps post the attachment onto another part of the Forums. Many of the ID-ers don't hang out in Ex-Beeb much... Just an idea...

Thanks Mabel. I might try it. I'll wait & see if anyone else comes up with the same (or different), as you and Gill, first though. You're both probably right, looking in my book, it does look like a Herring.

Hi Judo, :hi:

Your woodpecker pic is excellent, well done! I also really like the chaffinch looking right at you and the swans too, lovely.

I'm another one who prefers to be outdoors and agree a nice walk and some fresh air is a great cure for anything. The flashes sounds like it has many good birds. I don't often see BT Godwits around here.

A nice few hours, thanks for sharing.

Hi Judo,
Sounds like the perfect cure to me!
It sounds like you had a great day out & the pics are lovely Judo, well done.

As for the id!! I will leave that to the experts but I think Gill's id sounds good to me.
Thanks Judo, lovely read.

Judo great photo's,fresh air is ten times better than pills i do like the woodpecker
but the star of the show as got to be chaffinch looking straight at you,
Gill please do not be afraid of trying to I/D birds we all need help some of the time.

allthe best.

Hi Kezza, Mary, pie, Pam & Walt,
Thanks very much for all your replies and kind words, glad you enjoyed my headache cure! Try it, it works a treat, (not for Migraines though, unfortunately!)
All the Best to You All,

Especialy like your woodpecker Judo

Love the way these ancient old oaks look in the winter set against a clear blue sky, even better when they have these brightly coloured little birds running up and down them.

Matt

Hi Judo,

What a great analgesic that trip turned out to be! Obviously the remedy always to be tried before ANY pill.

Some beautiful photos of a very memorable outing. I love the ones of the GS Woodpecker...and oh the Great Tit one, wish we had one doing that here. You are so very lucky in having the Tree Sparrows around you Judo, I just love seeing photos with them; so anytime you get more.....! Well done with the Pochards!!! Just how many more Firsts are you going to get! Lots I hope!!

I'd go with Gill and Mabel in saying a Herring Gull because of it's wing colour and - it looks to me as though it has the tell-tale tomato sauce spot at the end of the lower mandible! A Common is much the same but lacks the sauce spot! Have a look in your book Judo and you'll see what I mean.

The Foxes are barking like mad in the fields here, blissful. :bounce:

Wonderful trip Judo, take care of yourself.

Sue.

Thank you Sue, and thanks for the id confirmation. See what you mean about the tomato sauce (what a delicious way of describing it!), hadn't noticed that before!
I suppose because I'm only just starting, almost every bird I see is a first! It's so exciting!!
I too love the Tree Sparrows, so expect more photos each time I go there!!
Thanks again Sue, and you take care too. I hope Terry has recovered after his Migraines? as a fellow sufferer he has my sympathy.
My Best to you Both,

Hi again Judo,

Glad you liked the idea. I try to find something like that to memorise Birds, a bit like trying to remember the difference with Tree and House Sparrows - the Trees had logsin their cheeks! If you see what I mean. You'd be amazed how my mind works.....or doesn't sometimes! It IS so very exciting and never stops being so - and you aren't only just starting Judo, you're moving on up fast now and so you should.

Thanks so much for your thoughts about Terry. Sorry about yours, though fellow sufferers do at least understand truly. He's ok for the moment, though our Dr has just given him new prevention pills, so fingers crossed. He wakes up with many so many of his, right from the word 'go' in the morning. Could be far worse things to have though, that's how I try to view things!

Thanks Judo, Sue.

Oh Sue, "Logs in their cheeks"......how clever!! and I see exactly what you mean!!
I could never remember which had the red and which had the white with Coots and Moorhens, until....(oh who was it?? was it Matt?? tut tut, my memory!!!) said "Moorhen, more colour" what a great way to remember the differences of birds to help with id!!
Hope the new tablets work for Terry.
All the Best, once again,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back