• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 or 10x50 (1 Viewer)

brazos

I was looking at a couple different bins, Bushnell Elites & Pentax SP. Both in 10 power. I noticed 10x50's were only a few more $$. Other than slighter larger is there any other downside to 10x50's over 10x40's? I see the field of view is smaller on the 10x50's. What are the upsides to 10x50's and do they outwiegh the downsides? Just curious. Also any comment on which binocular is better (Elites or SP)? SP's are several hundred dollars cheaper. Just trying to learn and any advice would be great. These bins will be primarily for hunting but I have started to take up birding while out hunting. I have found birding is allot of fun waiting to see the animal I am hunting.

Thanks,

Brazos

I was looking at a couple different bins, Bushnell Elites & Pentax SP. Both in 10 power. I noticed 10x50's were only a few more $$. Other than slighter larger is there any other downside to 10x50's over 10x40's? I see the field of view is smaller on the 10x50's. What are the upsides to 10x50's and do they outwiegh the downsides? Just curious. Also any comment on which binocular is better (Elites or SP)? SP's are several hundred dollars cheaper. Just trying to learn and any advice would be great. These bins will be primarily for hunting but I have started to take up birding while out hunting. I have found birding is allot of fun waiting to see the animal I am hunting.

Thanks,

Brazos

Hello Brazos!
Downsides of 50 vs 40? The 10x50 will be larger and - maybe more importantly - heavier. Usually there is quite a jump betwen 40s and 50s in this respect. Many hunters prefer the 10x50 format because it has considerably more light gathering capability. Weight is frequently not an issue for those who stay in one spot, waiting for the animals.
Naturalists (birdwatchers and others) as well as mountain-hunters, who walk longer distances tend to prefer the lighter 40 mm models.
As a 50mm model is heavier it can be more diffucult to hold it steady, especially during prolonged watching.

Last year I was considering 10x50 but nowadays I feel more attracted by the 10x40 format, and am torn between the Swarovski Habicht and the Zeiss Conquest. The Conquest also exists as a 10x50 which is quite light-weight (ca. 900 g) for its class, and it has 57 degrees relative fov.

The Pentax SPs are said to be good but hard to get over here. I have a Pentax porro 8x40 which I use a lot. Its optical quality is very good so I assume the SP will be at least as good, maybe better.
The water-proof pentax models are usually well built and very sturdy.
By the way: Pentax has got a PCF WPII which has got a similar fov as the SP but which is less costly, as porros as almost always cheaper than roof prism gadgets of similar quality.

I don't know the Bushnell.

10x50 will be perfect, I think, if used more or less stationary, and if combined with an 8x30 for "mobile use".

I hope you shall not get drowned in all the advice you'll get.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back