• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pictures (8 Viewers)

Really nice, Arthur! In addition to being continually impressed by the quality of work on the forum here, it's really nice to see the species that may be common to you UK folks, that we never see over here.

I still want your garden Arthur! The sprawk's stare is spot on, kinda manic and slightly boss eyed, captured perfectly.

As for redstarts... I'm lucky if I get a bl**dy robin in the garden!

Mike

Thankyou All.
I should change the title of my thread to from the garden, took these of a lovely old lady from the Battle of Britain flight as she flew along the Poppy Line today ( thats the bonfire at the bottom of the garden Ed) as its their forties weekend on the presevation railway.

Attachments

• DC1.jpg
    DC1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DC2.jpg
    DC2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DC3.jpg
    DC3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
These whitethroats are ace, Arthur! Am I correct in thinking your adding paint to your original sketches - and if so what type of sketchbook are you using? Or these redrawn on watercolour paper before hand?

Sometime ago Nick Derry mentioned using wet media on anything, which I'm sure you can, but I've a bit of a phobia about the 140 gm paper I use bubbling (not the correct term I know) and tearing.

Hope I'm not being too interrogative, mate!

Russ

These whitethroats are ace, Arthur! Am I correct in thinking your adding paint to your original sketches - and if so what type of sketchbook are you using? Or these redrawn on watercolour paper before hand?

Sometime ago Nick Derry mentioned using wet media on anything, which I'm sure you can, but I've a bit of a phobia about the 140 gm paper I use bubbling (not the correct term I know) and tearing.

Hope I'm not being too interrogative, mate!

Russ

It will bubble (cockle I think is the term, but I like bubble!) and may tear if 'scrubbed' at, if this happens, you can always glue a patch of paper onto it or behind it.

Love the redstarts and whitethroats Arthur, brimming with life.

Hi Andrew & Nick
Russ, these are re-drawn (or brought on ) in the same sketch book.
It doe's cockle a bit, thats when I use the wifes traveling hairdryer. When the pic's finished, let it dry close the book and it will flatten down. Its for my use later so Im'e not to worried about heavy paper.
The sketch book I use a lot is Blue Bell spiral range by Artcoe eclipse 150 gm.
40 sheets A3 short bound for £9. from the S.A.A.
I usually sketch with a 2B but if I know Im'e going to paint it I use a 4H for a fine line hardly any pressure so I don't leave a groove which will show with water colour.
A bit long winded but hope it answers your ?.

interesting that you use a 4h pencil for light sketching, often wounder if i should change from my B pencil to somthing els a bit lighter.. Mike (Woodie) made the suggestion about propelling pencils, too much pressure and they break....
Might have a go with an H or F pencil instead....

Thanks Arth and Nick.
Not a long winded reply at all; I'm fascinated by artists working methods, and like coppers or academics 'I want to know' ! (that's nicked (ouch!) from Inspector Morse.

Whilst I'm being technical can anyone tell me if drawing ink can be watered down with tap water rather than distilled water? The instructions on a bottle Winsor and Newton says not. I wonder if they're being overly cautious or it indeed does make a pig's ear of it!
Next question: where do I get distilled water from?

A peasant who inhabits the realm of domesticity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back