• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backyard/feeder photography tips and tricks (1 Viewer)

YellowBudgie

Nothing beats a natural out in the wild photo but sometimes I like to photo in my backyard.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to list their tips and tricks for backyard/feeder bird photography.

I've been able to get some good photos by zip typing branches to my feeder poles. I also took a log and hollowed out the top for various bird feed to be hidden as a way to attract birds.

Anyone else have some tips to recommend?

Dana

Tried the branch thing you mention Dana,works well until a squirrel decides to light on.Either bigger branches or low-cal squirrel chow might remedy.
Have 3 big black walnut trees that supply abundant nuts,our downy's and red-bellies prefer over suet.
We've had a few robins take raisons,kind of iffy.Put old carpet squares on driveway next to small woodpile,"critters" acculmulate underneath.Turn them over every few days especially during spring & fall movement,seen grey-cheeked,swainson,verry(thrushes),black and white warblers amoung birds
that "cleaned up".Love to have eastern bluebirds,little reticent about mealworms,
"rug thing" about as far as Im willing to go in that direction.

Edit:Found a couple in the archives,was going out to clean "birdbath",found it
to be occupied.Swainson hung around for about 2 weeks,started to worry me.
Both brought in by "rug thing"

Attachments

• DSC02287.JPG
    DSC02287.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC02632.JPG
    DSC02632.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Those pesky squirrels. That's great you have the walnut tree to provide some natural food for the birds. Must give you a good opportunity to photo.

I like to pile up various thick tree branches and hide the food in the crevices where the lens can't see. The one problem is birds with suet all over their beaks gives me away :) When I'm done with the shoot I stack the thick branches behind the house.

Here's a good photo of a European Starling (Adolescent) and a photo that gives the branches away just to show them.

See ya,

Dana

Attachments

• European Starling (Adolescent) [Sturnus vulgaris] A010.jpg
    European Starling (Adolescent) [Sturnus vulgaris] A010.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 86
  • European Starling (Adolescent) [Sturnus vulgaris] A012.jpg
    European Starling (Adolescent) [Sturnus vulgaris] A012.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 77
Looks like it works fine Dana.Most jealous of your grass,backyard took a major
hit from tornado in april and still recovering,really lucky with house(thisclose).
Seen your post 'bout elevating baths,done that with my contraption.

If you set up bath,maybe try to shoot with sun behind subject(back lit) as
bird "shakes off".Dont really need fast shutter speed,bird can be a blur
and you wind up with some nice sun glistening shots.

Cheers,
Bill

I try to position a single branch as a perch near my feeders. The idea is to give the birds a place to perch before they visit the feeders. You want to limit the options so birds only go to a small area - more perching opportunities work poorly because you are constantly changing position. Also position your perch so it has a nice even background. Look for a large space behind your perch. I look to take the distance from me to the perch and want the nearest background three times that distance.

... The one problem is birds with suet all over their beaks gives me away :)

Dana

Dana

I know exactly where you're coming from. This is a large log that had a trench cut into it with a circular saw just over the high point of its curvature so that the feed is out of the camera's view. Unfortunately, the GSW gives the game away as he has no table manners whatsoever!

Attachments

• GSW_forum.jpg
    GSW_forum.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 105
Dana

I know exactly where you're coming from. This is a large log that had a trench cut into it with a circular saw just over the high point of its curvature so that the feed is out of the camera's view. Unfortunately, the GSW gives the game away as he has no table manners whatsoever!

That's a great photo and cool location to hide suet. The bokeh in the background gives it that natural woodsy look.

See ya

Dana

I try to position a single branch as a perch near my feeders. The idea is to give the birds a place to perch before they visit the feeders. You want to limit the options so birds only go to a small area - more perching opportunities work poorly because you are constantly changing position. Also position your perch so it has a nice even background. Look for a large space behind your perch. I look to take the distance from me to the perch and want the nearest background three times that distance.

Hey Eric, I do the single perch as well and have some decent photos from it. Someone had mentioned putting up a background, which would be nice for my location. We have a plain simple yard with bright yellow fences. A background placed in the right way/position would be neat if the Bokah was right.

I'd love a little birdie studio,

Dana

Some good advice already listed - I thought I'd also throw in some additional advice/suggestion for those taking such shots.

I often photograph birds and other wildlife in my backyard, which is hemmed in by a hedge and wall to the rear, and fences left and right - not the most natural looking environment. One method I often take is to not actually photograph the birds at the feeder, but stake out a nearby tree or bush where the birds are gathering waiting their turn at the feeder. I also track them back from the feeder to whatever tree or bush they fly to - and that's where I try to concentrate my photography. Works pretty well in mostly avoiding any clues that I'm in a backyard. Of course, you must have some nearby tree or bush that is accessible - if your backyard is devoid of any other plant life or tree, then you need to try something artificial, or might be out of luck.

Another method though is to just take photos of the bird with manmade objects in the shot. It much depends on how I want to use the photos - if they are more 'nature' shots where I want to share them with other birders and have it look more natural, I'll strive to avoid manmade objects. But sometimes it's also fun to capture some shots that specifically show it was done in my backyard - because sometimes it's fun to share what we find in our yards. Especially with my odd Florida diversity, I like to show pics of snakes, iguanas, lizards, passerines, waders, ducks, raccoons, squirrels, and opossum - and 'prove' that all those things were captured in the backyard. Having a lamppost, feeder, pool tiles, manicured lawn, or fence in the shot places the subject verifiably in my yard.

Here are my 'at home' galleries, divided up to blue jays, squirrels, other birds, lizards, and yard in general:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/at_home_with_the_h5

You'll see i've got some shots that don't show the 'yard' in the shot, while others embrace it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back