• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I am Disappointed at My First Attempt at Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

gozzer

So here are the results of my first attempts at digiscoping of which I am disappointed. I would appreciate your opinions on where I have gone wrong and what I need to do improve. The images were taken in full sun with a Nikon D70 directly attached to a Celestron Ultilma 65

Thanks gozzer

Attachments

• 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Mounting a dslr to a scope with no eyepiece is the worst way to digiscope. I say it to everyone who asks about it because it produces the worst image quality. Basically your shutter speed is all wrong but you can see in the photo that even if it was right the image quality would be poor. Try a small digicam.

Paul.

Well, I do not know what the problem can be. Surely not the -0.67 EV setting (which matters, but not this much). If your camera works well and you are familiar with manual settings, I have no idea. This was my very first attempt with a Celestron U 80 (non-ED) with the Celestron zoom eyepiece and an Olympus E510 with no objective (T2-4/3 adapter ring). Not superb, but not bad either. (But it's too much of a hassle to attach and remove the camera so I'm thinking about getting a compact and some quick-change adapter.)

Attachments

• P2109715sx.jpg
    P2109715sx.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 195
Agreed on the DSLR.... A small point n shoot works well. Keep practicing though.... Work with the camera you have and experiment with how close or far yr camera is from scope eyepiece, settings etc. Two shots? ..., only? Everything takes practice n experimentation....

Mounting a dslr to a scope with no eyepiece is the worst way to digiscope. I say it to everyone who asks about it because it produces the worst image quality. Basically your shutter speed is all wrong but you can see in the photo that even if it was right the image quality would be poor. Try a small digicam.

Paul.

Thanks for your reply just to confirm that the DSLR was connected to the eyepiece by a T mount.

Thanks for your reply just to confirm that the DSLR was connected to the eyepiece by a T mount.

Ok, a typo on my part, I meant no camera lens rather than no eyepiece. Eeyepiece projection is about the worst method you can use. Most eyepieces don't project an image suitable for the method you are using. The eyepiece generally projects an image in a cone shape getting larger the further away from the eyepice you get. The image at the edges gets very smeared which is what you can see in your photos. The image at the center can be quite sharp depending on the eyepiece but a lot of the image may need to be cropped off to make it look ok. Astronomers use this method because it produces very high magnification and they only need the center sharp bit of the image. For digiscoping it isn't ideal.

Paul.

I have been encouraged by the help and advice I have received from this and other forums with regard to my attempt at digiscoping. I do however believe that the answer for me is a telephoto lens and not a scope? The set up and camera used appears not to allow me control the aperture or the shutter speed in fact the only available mode is manual and this does not allow any change in settings. Whilst the use of a different camera and or connection method may resolve all issues I do not intend to invest any further funds here.
Current set up Nikon D70 connected to the eyepiece of a Celestron Ultilma 65 by a T Mount
Regards Gozzer

The aperture is fixed because this is the scopes lens diameter. All you can control is the shutter speed to suit the available light. I don't understand why you say you can't control the shutter speed in manual, this shouldn't be a problem at all.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back