• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica Trinovid 8x42 - my impressions (1 Viewer)

I would probably agree with you if I seen the new SLC but remember the OP paid $450 less than that, not to mention tax if you bought on-site. I do agree that Leica's MSRP puts the Trinnie in a precarious place among the Conquest HD, Meopta HDs, Vortex Razors, and teh bottom of the new SLC line.

David

All of these bins should have a similar level of high quality view, so beyond the optics it came down
to my preferences in the design and handling. I think
I chose wisely. I just love the design, the nice diopter/focus, very nice
smooth armor/finish and overall fit and feel. This is all personal preference of
course.

I'm surprised at how much I like the full size 42mm. I've
always dismissed the idea of having a full size, as I thought them to be just
too cumbersome/bulky/heavy compared to the mid sized bins I've owned.
I had gotten so used to small-ish binoculars and could not imagine anything else.
I still have my little bin in addition to the Trinovid. I'm happy that I
took the plunge and got a larger bin. I don't think that there are
too many full sized models I'd get along with so well however.

A full size has its good points and its
advantages and the same goes for the smaller sizes.

I tried the conquest hd in store. It was nicer than I imagined.
I still like my Trinovid better and, at this point, there's just no need to
consider any other models. The Razor looks to be real nice, but
I've never seen it in person. It was down to the Trinovid and the
Razor when I was doing my online shopping and I think I made the right
choice for me.

Took the Trinnie out today and had an amazing opportunity to
watch a young Northern Harrier on the ground with a fresh meal.
I hid myself well and had such a great close view while the bird
was oblivious to my presence. In NJ the Harrier is endangered
so this was a rare chance to see this amazing bird on the ground
rather close.

P.S. The focus wheel works very well in the cold weather as it should.
However, the Leupold Katmai's focus gets a bit stiffer in the cold.

Last edited:
Just want to add something about the weight: The Trinovid is a very heavy binocular
compared to what I'm used to. I was using the Swaro CL as my primary binocular
before buying the Trinovid. Now I just have the Trinovid and the much smaller and
lighter Katmai. I use the binocular harness with the Trinovid and yesterday I was out
for most of the day. I have to say that the soreness is no worse when using the Trinnie with
the harness than it was using the CL with the wrist strap. I always have neck and shoulder
pain and this is due to ongoing shoulder problems which need to be checked eventually by a doctor.
Even when I hold a blow dryer up to my hair for long enough my shoulders burn. It hurts quite a bit to
view birds at the tops of close trees no matter what bin I'm using. So, I was worried about the weight
of the heavier full size binocular and what that would do to my neck and shoulders. However, using the
harness helps so much. I think a traditional neck strap could cause quite a bit of soreness. I've never
used the neck straps that come with binoculars. I purchased the harness early on , but didn't use it as
much as I thought I would. Now I will be using it a lot more since I have a full size binocular.
So, if you buy anything in this weight class and have only been using the neck straps, do yourself a huge
favor and get a harness.

Last edited:
Just want to add something about the weight: The Trinovid is a very heavy binocular
compared to what I'm used to. I was using the Swaro CL as my primary binocular
before buying the Trinovid. Now I just have the Trinovid and the much smaller and
lighter Katmai. I use the binocular harness with the Trinovid and yesterday I was out
for most of the day. I have to say that the soreness is no worse when using the Trinnie with
the harness than it was using the CL with the wrist strap. I always have neck and shoulder
pain and this is due to ongoing shoulder problems which need to be checked eventually by a doctor.
Even when I hold a blow dryer up to my hair for long enough my shoulders burn. It hurts quite a bit to
view birds at the tops of close trees no matter what bin I'm using. So, I was worried about the weight
of the heavier full size binocular and what that would do to my neck and shoulders. However, using the
harness helps so much. I think a traditional neck strap could cause quite a bit of soreness. I've never
used the neck straps that come with binoculars. I purchased the harness early on , but didn't use it as
much as I thought I would. Now I will be using it a lot more since I have a full size binocular.
So, if you buy anything in this weight class and have only been using the neck straps, do yourself a huge
favor and get a harness.
Annabeth,

I would agree with your advice regarding the use of a harness when using any binocular over 25oz; although certainly not necessary, it will help to alleviate actual damage to the neck while also stabilizing the binocular while hiking through variable terrain. I also recommend using sling-style straps, and often find myself using my harness in this manner (though I'm a tall guy so most straps/harnesses are often a bit too short for me to sling in a comfortable manner!).

Happy birding,
Justin

Annabeth,

I would agree with your advice regarding the use of a harness when using any binocular over 25oz; although certainly not necessary, it will help to alleviate actual damage to the neck while also stabilizing the binocular while hiking through variable terrain. I also recommend using sling-style straps, and often find myself using my harness in this manner (though I'm a tall guy so most straps/harnesses are often a bit too short for me to sling in a comfortable manner!).

Happy birding,
Justin

I use a Leupold standard harness with the elastic straps. I am thinking of getting a Badlands harness (without the bino pouch) that is a little bit padded on the shoulders and back and is supposed to be more comfortable.
The Badlands one is the only one I can find online having the padding and without the bino pouch. I'll see if the hunting section at the sports store down the street has it or something similar next time I'm in there. I have to go there soon anyway and get an under armour type of top for when I bird watch in the cold. I don't have any really warm tops unless I go with a lot of layers (uncomfortable). It was pretty cold out yesterday when I was out.

I use a Leupold standard harness with the elastic straps. I am thinking of getting a Badlands harness (without the bino pouch) that is a little bit padded on the shoulders and back and is supposed to be more comfortable.
The Badlands one is the only one I can find online having the padding and without the bino pouch. I'll see if the hunting section at the sports store down the street has it or something similar next time I'm in there. I have to go there soon anyway and get an under armour type of top for when I bird watch in the cold. I don't have any really warm tops unless I go with a lot of layers (uncomfortable). It was pretty cold out yesterday when I was out.

Hi Annabeth,

You might try the Coleman BinoManager here:
http://www.coleman.com/Product/COLEH651#.UsXz0N-A0UI

It provides an inexpensive and very comfortable carry for heavier binoculars.
It works best imho with the pouch straps looped around your belt in the back. That way the harness acts as wide shoulder suspenders for the binoculars. The shoulders carry all the weight, the neck and trunk are entirely free.
Of course, you sacrifice the pouch feature, which is actually pretty useful in winter as it shields the oculars from snow and drippage, but it is a worth while trade.
More important in winter is that because the harness is beneath the overcoat/parka, some neck warmer is a good idea, as the straps holding the binoculars prevent one from zipping up completely.
This model has served me well for years. It is much more comfortable than a chest harness.

I still use the Leupy harness and like it a lot, but my favorite is the Stearns Mad Dog Gear Pro Bino Manager (the same one edutiant highlighted above). I came across a thread on here about it and ordered it from Coleman.com for just $9.99. I use it without the pouch. I liked it so much I ordered two more, so I could have the quick disconnects for my other bins. On many occasions when comparing bins I would set one bin up on the mad dog, high on my chest and one on the leupy, low by my belt. I'd be good for a couple hours until my neck and shoulders would start getting stiff from the two full size bins hanging off of me.

I have a vague memory of buying the badlands harness and not liking it, but I can't really remember why. I'm pretty sure it was when I would raise the bins to my eyes the straps would raise and touch my ears and it just bothered me. I got it from Cabela's and was able to easily return it. I did the same with the S4 lockdown harness. A good return policy is always a good idea, especially since this stuff is so personal. Let us know how you like the badlands.

I am a big fan of Polartec base layers with Under Armour hoodies or jackets on top. Lightweight and warm.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the Vero Vellini leather strap? It appears substantial enough to distribute weight nicely while avoiding objections raised by those who would rather not use a harness.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vero-vellini-contour-binocular-sling.html

…. and, it looks so cool compared to every nylon, grippy rubber, leatherette strap I've ever used.

I haven't tried those, but I recommend something similar in shape, with a widening at the neck, but made with neoprene, which is a stretchy material.

I bought a wide neoprene Microsoft strap, which I use on my SE, and I forget I'm carrying bin around my neck, The Vixen 7x50 Foresta, which is heavier, came with a wide neoprene strap that takes the load off.

I have neck problems, a legacy from my stargazing days - when Jack Horkheimer says, "Keep Looking Up," DON'T, you'll ruin your neck, get yourself a parallel arm mount with a 4-way head and a reclining lawn chair and look up lying down. Neck problems are so common among amateur astronomers that next year at our star party, we're going to have a chiropractor in residence! ;)

Brock

I haven't tried those, but I recommend something similar in shape, with a widening at the neck, but made with neoprene, which is a stretchy material.

I bought a wide neoprene Microsoft strap, which I use on my SE, and I forget I'm carrying bin around my neck, The Vixen 7x50 Foresta, which is heavier, came with a wide neoprene strap that takes the load off.

I have neck problems, a legacy from my stargazing days - when Jack Horkheimer says, "Keep Looking Up," DON'T, you'll ruin your neck, get yourself a parallel arm mount with a 4-way head and a reclining lawn chair and look up lying down. Neck problems are so common among amateur astronomers that next year at our star party, we're going to have a chiropractor in residence! ;)

Brock

Brock, that strap with the Vixen is after market I purchased! They don't come with a strap like that. Just wanted to clarify that! : ) Bryce...

That was a refreshing review. Not quoting a million specs that are impressive on paper but not so much in real life. Many of my friends swear by Leica and while they may not have the latest greatest specs, it is proof that when it all comes together a quality glass holds it's on.

Thank you for the review

The third test two days ago added (and confirmed) the following observations: a) the difference of 1 oz in weight is surprisingly felt this time (not meaningful difference in the field though), b) the Trinovid is indeed sharper than the Ultravid, no doubt (but why I did not see it before?), c) focusing in both models was very similar, but again, so were the handling, lighting and view characteristics.

I'm sure Leica will also know just how good their Trinovids are compared to the Ultravids. That begs the question just what they'll do about the Ultravids. That they will have to do something about them is clear, and they know this themselves.

I know what I'd like to see them do ... :smoke:

Hermann

I'm sure Leica will also know just how good their Trinovids are compared to the Ultravids. That begs the question just what they'll do about the Ultravids. That they will have to do something about them is clear, and they know this themselves.

I know what I'd like to see them do ... :smoke:

Hermann

Steeply discount them before introducing their new Übervid?

<B>

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back