• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler for ID - Romania (1 Viewer)

Cristian Mihai

Cristian Mihai
Pics taken by a friend, today, hilly are close to forest.
Thank you for help.

Attachments

• 170819_100449_DSC_1812m.jpg
    170819_100449_DSC_1812m.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 170819_100455_DSC_1816m.jpg
    170819_100455_DSC_1816m.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 133
I thought Icterine on first look, maybe the foliage and sunshine is creating the yellow tones? Doesn't the supercilium behind the eye and the bill fit this better?

Pale area before eye is a good point to Icterine. Grey Icterine. No yellow on any pallida.

Yes, I believe the yellow tones are real, enhanced by the lighting so a grey IW it is. The colours show pretty true on this photo in bright shade and I was intrigued by the grey wash on neck and breast sides..

I've never seen such a grey Icterine, but actually, I'm not that much experienced with that species. Nice learning, thanks.

I've only seen one, in the UK a long time ago (1975) :eek!: There's something about head shape and facial expression that's different to Melodious (seen zillions) that I can't put my finger on.

Fall Icterines are very rarely seen in Spain, not sure if there are any records from Portugal. I've worked for years monitoring migration on Cabrera NP (a major migrant hotspot in the Balearics) and only recorded it once in Autumn, being otherwise a fairly common Spring migrant. Icterine migration follows a much more easterly route in Autumn (same happens with a few other species like Wood Warbler, Red-backed Shrike, Collared Flycatcher) so Fall plumages are rarely seen on this side of the Mediterranean. Juvenile Icterines, as the subject appears to be, look quite different to Spring birds and surely often get misidentified.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back