• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK ... deep breath! These are my efforts (1 Viewer)

Deborah, whatever you feel about your paintings, how much they mean to you or otherwise, or what your stance is on being an artist and all the other philosophical things etc, you're very welcome on here and whenever you feel like you have something to add, please do. As you say, you enjoy looking at others' pictures on here, and so do the rest of us, your pictures have brought us pleasure, and I hope that as and when you can, you'll continue to add them. I'll admit that I'm a bit of an art freak and spend most of my time painting at the moment, though last year, I did about 5 paintings all year (my weekly output at the moment). Looking forward to seeing some more of your stuff soon.

Deborah, I find the style of your work (yes,work) refreshing and if you hadn't said you just dabble every now and again I would not have guessed, you have real talent.
Don't get bogged down with all the jargon, they're just words, be self critical by all means, we all are, but these threads have people of all stages of development who have their own particular talent and yes some artists who you or I will never get near to in the terms of brilliance, but hey, as long as you enjoy doing it, others will enjoy looking at it, no-one looks down on anyone else, as a producer of art we're all in it together. keep enjoying the forums, participating makes it all the better for everyone, don't be afraid or think your work is not as deserving as anyone elses because you don't class yourself as an artist. We all just enjoy making images of the birds we see, and find inspiration from others, simple as that.
Sorry that's my second rant this evening, too much coffee and not enough sleep I think.

Sorry to have 'stirred you up' Deborah, but I'm glad it had that effect ;) - I genuinely think you have a talent and, moreover, a passion for wildlife art (the proof is in the preceding posts and the comments which they have aroused). However, i know exactly where you're coming from (having not painted a single piece for nearly a month now - oh, except yours, Nick) - and sometimes the 'burden' of having to produce stuff, just gets in the way of the pleasure of producing stuff.
I look forward to your contributions - be they written, pictorial, musical or dance -I have NO doubt they will be entertaining and stimulating.
Still adore the seals sketch!

Went to Rye Harbour today - didn't really get round to doing much sketching - same old problem, too busy finding birds and moving on ...

just a fieldnote (literally!) of a RC Pochard eclipse and the only thing I did actually attempt to sketch while holding binos in one hand and pencil etc in other, a Turtle Dove which was really too far away on pylons - (used spit). Also an attempt at a gull sketch while on beach the other day but had dog on lead and he wouldn't keep still:

Attachments

• turtledoves.JPG
    turtledoves.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 2nd s HG sketch.JPG
    2nd s HG sketch.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 109
  • redcrested pochard colour sketch.JPG
    redcrested pochard colour sketch.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
I really like these Deb...

The Turtle Dove and Gull especialy, Multiple studies of different postures always work well, I think it was Tim who once commentd on your Hen Harrier sketch from your scottish trip as being particularly fine draughtsmanship
..well you gull is of the same quality in my opinion.

Glad you're adding to your thread again:t:

Matt

Do not delete any of the above;)

Do not delete any of the above;)

Lol! Didn't 'delete' the pochard exactly, just replace the fieldnote with a colour sketch done later from memory & a rather blurred photo - unfortunately I have no clear photos to work from for a detailed painting and can't find anything online to show feather detail - may try a few more another time.

For me, it was seeing both eclipsed RC and Turtle Doves, which is a bit of a novelty here, that made me want to record it but gonna need a lot more than a few rough field sketches for a decent painting!

Thanks Wendy - appreciate your comments

More HG - guess is this getting boring!? :-O

Attachments

• hg in garden.JPG
    hg in garden.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 108
  • juvhggarden.JPG
    juvhggarden.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 92
  • hggarden.JPG
    hggarden.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Good to see you're still posting your sketches Deborah, love your colourwork and the character of the gulls shines through in your sketches, excellent.

Cheers Woody & Mouldy - it's a test of endurance not to delete stuff within a few hours of posting it!!! There seems to be a bl**dy large psychological step between leaving the stuff in a sketchpad and posting it on the internet LOL! :gh: Only have to look out the bedroom window to see HG - nowt else about but they do have interesting personalities/social behaviour so maybe make good subjects to practice drawing on.

Great to see such in-depth study going on, Deborah. You're really getting these birds right - the second page here is particularly excellent (as they all are). If you re-read Ennion, in 'the Living Birds' he talks of getting to know birds on an individual level - as you would, say a footballer - in that you get to know the way an individual moves, not just the species. I think you're getting some of that 'character' here - don't dismiss the gulls, they're doing it for me, anyway.

The gulls are super, you have really got their characters (and gulls have plenty of that). I especially like the first pic - the gull balancing on the edge of the bowl thing is great.

Thanks Wendy, VB, Mabel ... really appreciate your comments

Tim ... great source of encouragement & help ... now why do you remind me of my old Art Teacher? I was always waiting with anxiety as to how he would comment LOL! I must admit, the gulls are beginning to look more like cartoons/illustrations for kiddies books in my eye! Not what I wanted to end up with :-O Will persevere with them though ...

Well complete lack of opportunity for 'birding' ... if it isn't Gulls in the Garden, it's pigeons ... popped out to buy sketchbooks and new pencils for Poland, grabbed a coffee and was surrounded by pigeons this afternoon ... it's VERY EMBARRASSING drawing in public, so I gave up after a few minutes ...|:$|

Attachments

• feral pig1.JPG
    feral pig1.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 76
  • feral pig.JPG
    feral pig.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 93
  • pigsketch.JPG
    pigsketch.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
... it's VERY EMBARRASSING drawing in public, so I gave up after a few minutes ...|:$|

I hear your pain, Deb

I had to sneek away into an empty hide so I could scribble some Golden Plovers last trip to Cley (had never seen late summer plumed Goldies before and thought they might have been Greys!)

Regarding your Gulls from previous post and these Pigeons, I think they're all great works:t:

Matt

... it's VERY EMBARRASSING drawing in public, so I gave up after a few minutes ...|:$|

Aye, I know the problem. I sketch in public, but if people start watching, them I pack it in. I was sketching in a hide a couple of weeks ago when a middle-aged woman asked if she could see. Not wanting to appear rude, I said 'sure'. She cooed over the sketch and said how excellent it was but I cringed with embarrassment.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back