• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Superzoom for Bird Photography? (1 Viewer)

adam321

First of all, really sorry if this is in the wrong section, I looked in the photography section but it was all divided up into seperate brands and the whole point is that I don't know yet! :)

Just wondered if anybody could give me some advice, I'm looking for a camera with 10x optical zoom or more, with good build quality and a good standard of pictures produced.

Also, until i can afford a DSLR then the camera should ideally have aperture and shutter priority etc. It would also be useful to have a manual focus and zoom such as on the Fujifilm S6500 though its not essential

Price range looking at about up to £160, although if its over this then I may be able to find it cheaper, have been looking at models such as the Fujifilm S5700 and S5800, these don't have the manual controls but are the sort of thing I'm after.

I will be using it for digiscoping too, Ive got a Delta 70 which is a rebadged opticron, though which opticron I'm not sure.

Would you have any recommendations? Its difficult when looking at the cameras to actually tell how good they are so I thought I would seek a more reliable source.

Thankyou

First of all, really sorry if this is in the wrong section, I looked in the photography section but it was all divided up into seperate brands and the whole point is that I don't know yet! :)

Hi Adam,

The forum is structure here is somewhat confusing, but you need to understand that though within each forum there may be sub-forums (such as particular brands), you can always also still post within the general forum itself -- you do not have to post in one of the sub-forums. Thus the best forum for your post would be the general cameras and photography forum. Here is a link to a similar thread I started on this topic in that forum:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=102876

Hope this helps,
Jim

The Canon Powershot S5 IS may be your best bet in a superzoom. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/ rates it above the other contenders. The Powershot cameras have superb controls and user interface.

The S5 accepts accessory lenses, including a telephoto attachment which extends its reach, just what you need for birding.

The Canon Powershot S5 IS may be your best bet in a superzoom. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/ rates it above the other contenders. The Powershot cameras have superb controls and user interface.

The S5 accepts accessory lenses, including a telephoto attachment which extends its reach, just what you need for birding.

Hi,

I am sure the Canon is a fine camera, but that review was written before they reviewed the Panasonic FZ18. In their later review of the FZ18, they stated that it "is certainly the best of the 'really big' zoom cameras we've tried so far" (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz18/page16.asp). The FZ18 does come with about 75 mm of additional zoom magnification versus the Canon, and that is enough to make a difference in bird photography.

Cordially,
Jim

Last edited:
Well I use the Panosonic FZ50, it has all the requirements you mention plus many more, and I use it for Digiscoping with excellent results. Ernie

Zoom or superzoom should not be the main criteria for your P&S selection. From what I read, many of the Panasonic P&S cameras produce digital nosie at ISO 400 and above. And if you're digiscoping, why do you need 10x zoom? 4x should be adequate.

Zoom or superzoom should not be the main criteria for your P&S selection. From what I read, many of the Panasonic P&S cameras produce digital nosie at ISO 400 and above. And if you're digiscoping, why do you need 10x zoom? 4x should be adequate.

Good point. I had not noticed that Adam was also seeking a camera for digiscoping. The FZ 18 is not a good digiscoping camera because you will get a fair amount of vignetting. (Though I have wondered whether you could try to work around that with cropping). And it was my understanding that that is the case with most superzooms (but the comment above concerning the FZ 50 sounds promising).

But as for digital noise above ISO 400, that is certainly true, and according to what I have read is true of the majority of point-and-shoot cameras. But in good light situations, you do not need ISO of 400 or above (at least when you are not digiscoping).

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back