• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brighter chiffchaff? or......? (1 Viewer)

tarves57

This is a slightly brighter bird than the one you all kindly IDd for me this morning. Could this be a wood warbler?

Thanks again
Susan

Attachments

• wrb1a.jpg
    wrb1a.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 899
  • wrb1c.jpg
    wrb1c.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 217
Hi Susan

this is a Wood Warbler for you to compare. What do you reckon?

58wwarbler.jpg

tarves57 said:
This is a slightly brighter bird than the one you all kindly IDd for me this morning. Could this be a wood warbler?

Thanks again
Susan

This one is a Willow Warbler, Susan. It is similar to a Wood Warbler, but the Wood has slightly longer wings, and has a much fuller, brighter yellow throat with a much cleaner white belly. In spring, the Willow is quite yellow, as you can see. Chiffchaffs are also fairly similar, but have dark legs. If you can hear them sing, it's a give-away. Chiffchaffs say chiff-chaff, Wood Warblers apparently sound like a coin spinning on a table (or an accelerating trill - really quite a nice, and unfortunately very localised sound), and Willow Warblers don't sound like either of those! There are loads just about to arrive, so it shouldn't take too long to learn....

My money would be on Willow warbler. The primary projection doesn't look long enough for Wood Warbler.

You can see that this bird is singing. Surely you heard it and if so can you describe the song. Was it a song that was fairly strong to start with and then gradually faded away, almost in a sorrowful tone?

The wood has greener wings.

Susan they(Willow Warblers and Chiffchaff) drive me nuts. Unless I can hear them singing or get a good view of the legs I call them Willowchiffs

Reader said:
My money would be on Willow warbler. The primary projection doesn't look long enough for Wood Warbler.

You can see that this bird is singing. Surely you heard it and if so can you describe the song. Was it a song that was fairly strong to start with and then gradually faded away, almost in a sorrowful tone?

Thamks Reader, I've never realised how tough it was describing a Willow Warbler song!

Reader said:
You can see that this bird is singing. Surely you heard it and if so can you describe the song.

I think I know what a chiffchaff sounds like now, and it definitely wasn't chiffchaffing....:). Usually I am so intent on trying to get a photo before the bird flies off that I am concentrating more on that, but I believe it could be called warbling!
I did hear another bird though that I purposely tried to find, following the song. I sent a rather vague photo of that one in another post in this forum.

I'll certainly be listening more intently as well as looking from now on!

Susan

pduxon said:
Hi Susan

this is a Wood Warbler for you to compare. What do you reckon?
It's very hard to tell, isn't it!

From what you have all told me, the main identification points are leg colour and song.

1)Wood Warbler - pale legs, white underparts, brighter yellow upperparts, longer wings, warbles.
2)Willow warbler - drabber yellow upperparts, darker legs, warbles.
3)Chiffchaff - more beige than yellow upperparts, very dark legs, chiffchaffs.

tarves57 said:
1)Wood Warbler - pale legs, white underparts, brighter yellow upperparts, longer wings, warbles.
2)Willow warbler - drabber yellow upperparts, darker legs, warbles.
3)Chiffchaff - more beige than yellow upperparts, very dark legs, chiffchaffs.

Woodies trill, like a high-pitched machine. Just to confuse you further, Wood Warblers probably haven't arrived yet, and are really local. Not the type of bird to just pop up in The Botanics or Princes Street Gardens. The other two will. And do. And are there now!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back