• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Laptop for photo processing (1 Viewer)

RyanEustace

Ecology Student
Right basically my computer is knackered and im after a laptop. I shall be getting lightroom 2 , and calibrating the screen when funding allows it , but i want to have the screen quality there to begin with , also i dont want to be waiting half an hour for it to load up , and then when it finally does load up run slowly.Anyone got any reccomendations on what would be best as far as laptop screen quality and reducing rendering times , or if you find your laptop particualy fast.Finally if someone could explain to me just what i should be looking for in a laptop to provide me with this i would be ever soo gratefull.

Ryan,I suppose there could be laptops out there with displays good enough to do image processing on but there is no way I could ever contemplate doing so on my Toshiba laptop (calibrated with eye 1 display 2) - I find it difficult enough just viewing images on it. The display on my 7 year old CRT is light years better than the 2 year old laptop IMO.

So stick with a desktop is what your saying , i think generally you get more bang for your buck with a desktop, i quite like the look of the apple imac.

The imac screens are lovely.I've always been a pc user but have just bought a macbookpro. I like the look of my shots on its screen.It's easy to use and fun.When the pc eventually dies I shall definitely buy an imac .Apple also do a 24inch screen that is apparently very good indeed.It costs about £600 I think.
Rosie

You'll still want to calibrate your screen with a Mac. My two MBP-owning friends were checking out curtains last week and it was surprising how different the colours looked on the two machines. Once had a calibrated screen, t'other didn't. The calibrated one looked just like my, calibrated, PC screen.

The main problem I think with using a laptop screen is that the image can look very different just by changing the angle of the screen slightly which of course happens every time you open the laptop. Apart from that as high a resolution screen as possible (some manufacturers give you an option to order different screens, Dell do for instance), a decent size screen and then as much RAM as possible, a decent processor plus a big hard drive for all the photos. Connecting the laptop to an external screen solves point one but adds to the cost unless your existing monitor is good.

Hi, Just as Mike has said above 'the image can look different just by changing the angle of the screen' or even by moving ever so slightly. It's near impossible to obtain good colour matching with a laptop.
I have a laptop but also have an external monitor. The monitor is a Dell 2209WA 22" which I find to be excellent for digital editing. I use a X-Rite Eye-One 2 for colour profiling on a 4 weekly basis.

JSD

i am not an expert here, but i have noticed the superb image quality that the Mac book pro gives, without any adjustments to the defaults.

i am not an expert here, but i have noticed the superb image quality that the Mac book pro gives, without any adjustments to the defaults.

Even the MBP should have its screen calibrated. I was checking curtain material with two MBP-owning friends (wow, I lead an exciting life) and the colours on the two machines were noticeably different. One was calibrated (and looked just like my calibrated PC screen), t'other wasn't.

Even the MBP should have its screen calibrated. I was checking curtain material with two MBP-owning friends (wow, I lead an exciting life) and the colours on the two machines were noticeably different. One was calibrated (and looked just like my calibrated PC screen), t'other wasn't.

thanks a million for that info, can you please suggest a certain software for calibration. for both the Mac and the PC.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back