• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica warranty (1 Viewer)

CannonQ

Help!!!
My Leica 8x42BA's are in intensive care!!!
Just received a $900.00 dollar bill to repair.
I'm the original owner and don't believe that they were that messed up.
Any advice???? They do have sentimental value.

Specifically, what model are they? What kind of problem are they fixing? How old are they? Are you the original owner?

Wow that is bad news. Your warranty should still be good, but does not cover accidental damage that is your fault, but only defects of the binocular. Unfortunately, just because a binocular's street value is down with age doesn't make it any cheaper to fix. It's just as good inside (if not better) and as complex as the latest Ultravid HD. The minimum charge for a repair was $150 a year ago, when I sent a bought-used (ie, no warranty at all for me) Trinovid in for an adjustment. At that rate, I can imagine $900 for a repair, if major components like lenses, prisms, or focusing mechanism must be replaced.

I would call Leica and talk it over if you don't think "you" broke it. Otherwise, getting it fixed is not a terrible option, if you really like it. You could get a used one for $700, but yours, fixed, will be freshly cleaned, adjusted and collimated, and will still be the one you love, possibly worth the extra $200.

But if you should suddenly get unsentimental, and decide you just want the best $900 worth of binocular out there, a used Trinovid is probably not it. There's lots of competition in this range. I'd go for a Zeiss Conquest HD myself.
Ron

Wow that is bad news. Your warranty should still be good, but does not cover accidental damage that is your fault, but only defects of the binocular. Unfortunately, just because a binocular's street value is down with age doesn't make it any cheaper to fix. It's just as good inside (if not better) and as complex as the latest Ultravid HD. The minimum charge for a repair was $150 a year ago, when I sent a bought-used (ie, no warranty at all for me) Trinovid in for an adjustment. At that rate, I can imagine $900 for a repair, if major components like lenses, prisms, or focusing mechanism must be replaced.

I would call Leica and talk it over if you don't think "you" broke it. Otherwise, getting it fixed is not a terrible option, if you really like it. You could get a used one for $700, but yours, fixed, will be freshly cleaned, adjusted and collimated, and will still be the one you love, possibly worth the extra $200.

But if you should suddenly get unsentimental, and decide you just want the best $900 worth of binocular out there, a used Trinovid is probably not it. There's lots of competition in this range. I'd go for a Zeiss Conquest HD myself.
Ron

The most sensible and balanced post I've read on BF for many a month. And I don't think this forum is bad at all.

Renze

Last edited:
Help!!!
What, exactly, is in need of repair?

Ron

Ron,

I wish Leica was as "sensible and balanced" but from what I read about their repairs on this forum, it appears not. If he didn't break it, shouldn't the repairs be covered by Leica's Goodwill policy in which repairs are made "at our discretion" (nice elastic clause)?

Did Leica run out of goodwill already? It seems that their "discretion" most often falls on the owner's wallets. I'd never buy a second hand Leica, because they won't even cover the original owners!

Or here's another idea. Send the Trinnie to Nicolas Crista for an estimate. If it needs parts, the bill might not be too different unless he can make some substitutes, but if most of that repair bill is for labor, "Q" might do much better with Crista.

<B>

Last edited:
Help!!!

Hi CannonQ!:hi:

After 7 responses to your query I noticed that no one had welcomed you to Bird Forum.

Allow me to be the first to do so!

As you can see there have been a number of different comments about what Leica should or should not do in the matter of repairing your binoculars.

It would be most helpful if you could give us specific details about the nature of your problem so we could stop speculating about what Leica could do or should do in your case.:t:

Cordially,

Bob

They sent me a parts list that was needed , and you would think they pulled the optics out of a plane crash or something. Replacing both R and L body's , straightening a tube, replacing armor coating , replacing focusing dial (which was my issue , something broke inside and they wouldn't focus) , clean and purge with nitrogen, lubricate and service. No lens replacement though (no scratches at all). Said impact damage. The farthest they may have ever fell was sliding off the front seat onto the floor of my truck a time or two. They are great optics though, and I bought them for the warranty , at the time I thought was the best choice of all the brands. Guess I was wrong on that one. I've not been shy about using them , but have always been careful with them.

They sent me a parts list that was needed , and you would think they pulled the optics out of a plane crash or something. Replacing both R and L body's , straightening a tube, replacing armor coating , replacing focusing dial (which was my issue , something broke inside and they wouldn't focus) , clean and purge with nitrogen, lubricate and service. No lens replacement though (no scratches at all). Said impact damage. The farthest they may have ever fell was sliding off the front seat onto the floor of my truck a time or two. They are great optics though, and I bought them for the warranty , at the time I thought was the best choice of all the brands. Guess I was wrong on that one. I've not been shy about using them , but have always been careful with them.
A BA has a lot of armoring so a serious impact would be required to cause that much damage. Furthermore, impact damage may not be obvious due to the thick armor. How about a direct impact to the focuser? Did you loan it to anyone?

brock.....Leica Sport Optics either running out of goodwill or running out of money. Not sure which one. I can absolutely guarantee you Swarovski and Leupold would not charge you one penny.

Having experienced Leica support, I really question whether they have the tools, parts or even expertise to handle older models. It's shameful. I was literally told a certain BA model could not be repaired (no price given!) and it was only slightly out of coll. I really like Leica bins but get as leery with them as I did with my very temporary Canon IS bins - again - with a very uncompetitive backing of the product.

Have you checked out Company 7?

There is something strange going on here.

Replacing both 'bodies' and the focusing wheel suggests a major impact.

It is odd CannonQ that you haven't commented on whether you agree the bodies need replacing or not.

If you don't believe the bodies need replacing, ask them not to do this. If you are happy with the rubber armour ask them to leave it alone. Would this bring the repair down to a digestible level?

And who straightens 'tubes' (what tube?) if they have spare parts?

Lee

Something indeed doesn't smell right.
Why Cannon, do you suppose Leica is wanting to replace L and R bodies?
If one is replacing the L and R bodies, where does the straightening of a tube come in?
Replacing the focus wheel, in addition to the above, and the replacing of the armor lends me to believe these bins have taken quite a thrashing.

Maybe, Leica is seeing these bins as being abused and therefore not worthy of warranty. I for one, will not jump on the Leica doesn't get it bandwagon so fast. I will say that if the price of sentimentality is $900 for a pair of BAs, I personally would learn to get over it. There are other choices, including used Trinovids.

I love Leica's products a lot...but they set incredible standards for poor service based on my experience. It's like they don't know what they're doing (USA), and they don't care. For that reason I cannot recommend the brand. For $900 you can purchase better optics new. Good luck!

Steinadler

I am not a LeicaBoy (more Zeiss FanBoy) and they do have a variable reputation for aftersales service.

But I am not convinced that this thread is an example of poor service at all.

Lee

The OP has done everyone a disservice by posting a complaint with little or no factual evidence. Leica doesn't charge $900 for cosmetic blemishes.

Where is the OP?

The OP has done everyone a disservice by posting a complaint with little or no factual evidence. Leica doesn't charge $900 for cosmetic blemishes.

Where is the OP?

That's the point I was trying to make.

These stories of customer service cut both ways. My experience with Leica (New Jersey) has been great.

Based on what the OP has told us, no one can draw a conclusion.

Sorry folks, but I sent my first series 7x30 SLC Swarovski into R.I with black spots on prism and they used my old lens and sent back a brand new binocular. It cost me $9.98 shipping. You can make all kind of excuses for lack of back up service.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back