• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid 8x32 ? (1 Viewer)

Beth,

I'm afraid your thread has been hi-jacked and I contributed to it. Please accept my apologies.

Try the binoculars out and see if they fit you first. (If they do fit you and have flat edges, wonderful! Pay your money and buy one.

yep, it has been hijacked lol. apology accepted.

I had a good long look through the UV HD, FL and SV and I like the little UV the best. I'm waiting a while to gather up the money and I'm not in a rush.
I'll continue to use the CL which I like quite a bit. Sometimes I think of just saving the money and sticking with the CL.

I had the SE too. Sharp edges are nice, but it's not a must have for me. Small-ish, light, great overall optics/high quality is what I'm looking for so that I have my go to binoc for the long haul. I'd just keep the CL, but the SE made me feel like I need something sharper. I used to go back and forth using the CL and SE and the CL was not as sharp which I found a little bothersome with ID at farther distances. So, now looking for melding of the qualities of SE (sharpness) and CL (fit) in one 'ultra'- bin. So far the UV fits the bill nicely...and it's very durable which is a plus.

yep, it has been hijacked lol. apology accepted.

I had a good long look through the UV HD, FL and SV and I like the little UV the best. I'm waiting a while to gather up the money and I'm not in a rush.
I'll continue to use the CL which I like quite a bit. Sometimes I think of just saving the money and sticking with the CL.

I had the SE too. Sharp edges are nice, but it's not a must have for me. Small-ish, light, great overall optics/high quality is what I'm looking for so that I have my go to binoc for the long haul. I'd just keep the CL, but the SE made me feel like I need something sharper. I used to go back and forth using the CL and SE and the CL was not as sharp which I found a little bothersome with ID at farther distances. So, now looking for melding of the qualities of SE (sharpness) and CL (fit) in one 'ultra'- bin. So far the UV fits the bill nicely...and it's very durable which is a plus.

I bought a CL for my wife. We took it to Cape May a few months ago and she loved it. It works well with her glasses. She doesn't get to use it much at home, so I take it out often to see that it stays in condition.:king: I like it too because it is light weight and sharp and bright.

It's a neat, little, well designed, binocular. You really could take it almost anywhere if it fits in your purse. I already know it will fit in the front pocket of my Safari Jacket. If only that small wrist band that comes with it was longer. That is a problem. It's too short for my hand and wrist

I haven't hunted in many years but it is much better than the smallish porros I used to carry with me in those days. Swarovski has a video out of a guy who tested the 10 x 30 by hunting with it, hard, for 6 months and it came out with flying colors.

I would keep it as a back up if I were you.

Bob

I bought a CL for my wife. We took it to Cape May a few months ago and she loved it. It works well with her glasses. She doesn't get to use it much at home, so I take it out often to see that it stays in condition.:king: I like it too because it is light weight and sharp and bright.

It's a neat, little, well designed, binocular. You really could take it almost anywhere if it fits in your purse. I already know it will fit in the front pocket of my Safari Jacket. If only that small wrist band that comes with it was longer. That is a problem. It's too short for my hand and wrist

I haven't hunted in many years but it is much better than the smallish porros I used to carry with me in those days. Swarovski has a video out of a guy who tested the 10 x 30 by hunting with it, hard, for 6 months and it came out with flying colors.

I would keep it as a back up if I were you.

Bob

I may have a hard time parting with it when the time comes, so who knows I might end up keeping it. On the other hand, I could use the money for the UV which is expensive. When I first checked out the UV I felt that I wouldn't need the CL any longer since the UV is even smaller...that was my initial feeling. We shall see. The CL is pretty sharp too...maybe after using it solely for a while I won't feel the need to replace it. Only thing I don't like is the little 'speedbump' in the focus wheel...it's 'notchy' as they say, but it's not too big an issue.

The strap is a little big for me, so sometimes I wind it once or twice for a better fit.
I rarely use the CL with a harness or neck strap. I mainly use the wrist strap.

Anyone who likes the optics of the old Trinovid 8x32 should like the optics of the Ultravid 8x32. As far as I know, the optical formula is identical (though use of HD glass is supposed to affect this, but I've never heard how this played out in the non HD and HD Ultravids--they don't seem any different in optical personality apart from better CA correction), but the Ultravid has better coatings. Of course the ergonomics are different.

--AP

Some of you SV drones act like the Leica Ultravid has crappy optics, and a person couldn't possibly be happy with such inferior garbage relative to the holy sacrament of Swarovision. The Ultravid, even if SLIGHTLY superseded by some newer tech like HT or SV, still has EXCELLENT optics. They are bright and sharp as a tack, fully "alpha" optically.

And she likes tiny binoculars. There is NO binocular out there that is better optically than the Ultravid 8x32 without being larger and/or heavier.

Alpha optics in a tiny package, she likes them and thinks they are cute. Yet you are trying to convince her that what YOU like is what she should like. Are you guys such narcissists that you can't stand the idea that someone could have different priorities and thus make a difference decision than you? Such that you have to pollute and derail her thread?

Thankfully dear Annabeth appears to be confident in her ability to make her own decisions.

And she likes tiny binoculars. There is NO binocular out there that is better optically than the Ultravid 8x32 without being larger and/or heavier.

Alpha optics in a tiny package, she likes them and thinks they are cute.
Thankfully dear Annabeth appears to be confident in her ability to make her own decisions.

Thanks Eitan...

I'm waiting for binoculars to be made small enough to store in a coin purse ;) now that would be ULTRA cute...and convenient. :0)
(just kidding)

~ Beth

Annabeth,
Consider the previous generation Ultravid BR 8x32. It is identical in form, and according to most users hardly inferior optically to the HD. You should be able to get a good used one for just a little over $1000. I have a BR 10x50 that I like a lot.
Ron

Some of you SV drones act like the Leica Ultravid has crappy optics, and a person couldn't possibly be happy with such inferior garbage relative to the holy sacrament of Swarovision. The Ultravid, even if SLIGHTLY superseded by some newer tech like HT or SV, still has EXCELLENT optics. They are bright and sharp as a tack, fully "alpha" optically.

Alpha optics in a tiny package, she likes them and thinks they are cute. Yet you are trying to convince her that what YOU like is what she should like. Are you guys such narcissists that you can't stand the idea that someone could have different priorities and thus make a difference decision than you? Such that you have to pollute and derail her thread?

Are you kidding? No one cares a wit what she likes or ultimately purchases. This is BF optics, a place where every opinion has about as much value as the recommendation from a used car salesperson.

Comments that made me smile...many thanks!
"holy sacrament of Swarovision" was simply outstanding!

"she likes them and thinks they are cute" what can I say...another winner.

"pollute and derail her thread?" this happens all the time with much aplomb.

PS
The Ultravid 8X32 (non-HD) has superb optics. The 8X32 Swarovision, however, is better in a number much-discussed areas. Go figure!

Annabeth,
Consider the previous generation Ultravid BR 8x32. It is identical in form, and according to most users hardly inferior optically to the HD. You should be able to get a good used one for just a little over $1000. I have a BR 10x50 that I like a lot.
Ron

I heard the same thing; that the BR is very good, but I never see any for sale anywhere online. It seems these are hard to obtain. I think I'd rather start out with a brand new UV anyway. But, thanks for the suggestion. :)

:-O

I like the pic. Lichtenstein got nothin' on you.

Mark

Lichtenstein Shmichtenstein ;)

interesting tidbit of info:
Lichtenstein was a teacher at Rutgers University where I
graduated from. I was a visual arts major. However,
he was teaching art at R.U. before I was born (although in the same
decade).

nobody cares ? ...
Well, of course you care! But then you do have a personal bias towards yourself.

Now, get yourself down to the Cape May hawkwatch as soon as the season begins. Then sit on a bench with a Swarovision 8X32 for as long as you'd like...compliments of Swarovski, the 2013 sponsor. I've known a few people who were "sold" in this manner.

PS
The Ultravid is a great bin...I had one for many years.

Anyone who likes the optics of the old Trinovid 8x32 should like the optics of the Ultravid 8x32. ........... Of course the ergonomics are different.

--AP

Very possible -- but because the ergonomics are different, the larger Ultravid 8x42 became a very viable alternative to the 8x32 BN model. However, the relatively recent entry of the new Trinvoid 8x42 to the scene (particularly at the reduced price of around $1200) changed the dynamics a bit on economic grounds, hence the earlier advice in this thread to consider the new Trinvoid seriously.

A good lesson from this thread (and we are all speaking about alphas) is the importance of ergonomics in forming long living model loyalties.

Very possible -- but because the ergonomics are different, the larger Ultravid 8x42 became a very viable alternative to the 8x32 BN model. However, the relatively recent entry of the new Trinvoid 8x42 to the scene (particularly at the reduced price of around $1200) changed the dynamics a bit on economic grounds, hence the earlier advice in this thread to consider the new Trinvoid seriously.

A good lesson from this thread (and we are all speaking about alphas) is the importance of ergonomics in forming long living model loyalties.

The 42 UV and TV are heavy. They are both around 27 or 28 ounces. If anyone prefers big, heavy bins of high quality then you should give serious consideration to this new Trinovid. I know there are some who prefer the substantial weight.

From what I'm hearing it doesn't sound like this new model is very popular though (or not as popular as the previous version). This is disconcerting, as I'd like to see this new Trinovid in the 32 form. I won't hold my breath though...sure sounds like there are no plans for it.

WOW Beth! (like your return of serve :t: - no need for tears, hehe ;)) .... I'm late to the party as usual, but I'm glad I missed the hijacking and subsequent train wreck ....... *droll* |=@|

FWIW, I recall a few "hands-on" reports (by some well respected BF members) of the new Trinnie 8x42, which placed them in the ballpark (slightly behind) with the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42, and the Vortex APO Razor HD. The biggest problem for the Trinnie was the extra 50% ask over the Conquest HD. The Razor HD faced nearly the same problem with its extra 25% ask over the Zeiss, though at least it could be competitive with its APO design and much lighter weight (in a weird pay more for less, Porsche club racer kinda way). The poor Trinnie's aint got much goin for 'em 'ceptin tradin' on former glories ...... :flyaway:

I understand perfectly why the 8x32 Ultravid HD is leading the race over the larger x32's, with your stated preference for compactness. Unlike some though, :storm: I'm very interested in why it pokes it's head up above the similar sized, and only marginally heavier, optically similar, yet higher transmitting, Zeiss Victory T*FL 8x32 ????? Could you expand on that a bit more pls? :cat:

(btw, it looks like the Zeiss 8x32 "HT" will be a while as Zeiss has "BIGGER" fish to fry, and it looks like it has been queue-jumped by Zeiss's "GIANT" announcements for next year)
Given that, maybe this $1500 Leica Ultravid HD demo is of interest: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40290

As for this :egghead::
PS. The Ultravid 8X32 (non-HD) has superb optics. The 8X32 Swarovision, however, is better in a number much-discussed areas. Go figure!
All I can say is, yeah - except for being as compact and light !! :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

WOW Beth! (like your return of serve :t: - no need for tears, hehe ;)) .... I'm late to the party as usual, but I'm glad I missed the hijacking and subsequent train wreck ....... *droll* |=@|

FWIW, I recall a few "hands-on" reports (by some well respected BF members) of the new Trinnie 8x42, which placed them in the ballpark (slightly behind) with the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42, and the Vortex APO Razor HD. The biggest problem for the Trinnie was the extra 50% ask over the Conquest HD. The Razor HD faced nearly the same problem with its extra 25% ask over the Zeiss, though at least it could be competitive with its APO design and much lighter weight (in a weird pay more for less, Porsche club racer kinda way). The poor Trinnie's aint got much goin for 'em 'ceptin tradin' on former glories ...... :flyaway:

I understand perfectly why the 8x32 Ultravid HD is leading the race over the larger x32's, with your stated preference for compactness. Unlike some though, :storm: I'm very interested in why it pokes it's head up above the similar sized, and only marginally heavier, optically similar, yet higher transmitting, Zeiss Victory T*FL 8x32 ????? Could you expand on that a bit more pls? :cat:

(btw, it looks like the Zeiss 8x32 "HT" will be a while as Zeiss has "BIGGER" fish to fry, and it looks like it has been queue-jumped by Zeiss's "GIANT" announcements for next year)
Given that, maybe this $1500 Leica Ultravid HD demo is of interest: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40290

As for this :egghead::

All I can say is, yeah - except for being as compact and light !! :smoke:

On topic...the 8X32 Trinovid/Ultravid is a great starter binocular. I remember a few owners over the years seemed to enjoy them.

Off topic...I've seen a growing number of 8X32 Swarovision owners and I've yet to hear the complaint, "it's too big". Perhaps the stats aren't that important.

Pilly, that is most certainly correct - the 8x32 SV is hardly "massive" - in fact, those who like open bridge designs, or those with 'larger' hands may prefer it, for the 'greater real estate' offered - those lucky ones can have their cake and eat it too :eat:

It's just that Beth expressed her desire for something lobbing squarely on the compact and light side of the equation, though with 'alpha' sharpness - hence the UV.

Had to chuckle out loud :-O at your "Ultravid is a great 'starter' binocular. I remember a few owners over the years 'seemed' to enjoy them". line ......

yeah, I 'spose they'll do until the 8x32 HT comes along! 3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back