• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica Trinovid 8x42 - my impressions (1 Viewer)

A2GG

Beth
United States
I thought I should provide my impressions of this new model since there
seems to be barely any reviews or discussions on both BF and the internet at large.

I felt I was taking a chance on purchasing this new Trinovid based on the several short user reviews I read online. A few of those reviews are somewhat negative and the overall impression of the new Trinovid on this forum appeared to me to be generally not very good. There are only a couple of professional grade reviews online and these
were both very positive. I’m referring to the Binomania and Birdwatching.com reviews. So, I took a chance on this binocular and hoped the pro reviews were accurate. Another thing that worried me a little bit about the Trinovid purchase is the fact that it is a full size binocular. I’ve always preferred small, light mid-sized binoculars and only have
owned one full sized (Leupold 7x42). I was not sure if I would like using regularly a larger , heavier binocular.

I’ve always liked the Leica brand just based on handling the Ultravids at the Audubon nature store. This is the only
place where I could handle Leica optics in person. I was so impressed with the build/design (especially) and optics of the Leica UV 8x32
that I intended to purchase it to be my primary binocular. However, recently I changed my strategy and decided to get 3 bins that could cover all bases instead of one super expensive all purpose bin.
I recently purchased a 6x30 (Leupold Katmai – love it) and the Trinovid 8x42. I wanted a 10x as well for the reservoir and large fields I frequent
and purchased a Kowa SV 10x32, but the IPD was not narrow enough and the smallish exit pupil was just tedious wearing my glasses.
I recently started wearing eyeglasses and discovered that I can’t tolerate a small exit pupil (it’s just too annoying). So, if I do get a 10x I will
need a 10x42 at least. I am unsure right now about the 10x and holding off. I’m finding the Trinovid to be quite sharp and helps with ID
at distance. I may not need the 10x, but this is something I will need to think about a little more.

The following points are my impressions based on usage over the weekend and are not scientific or technical in nature; just personal
feelings about the handling and view. I did not compare this model side by side with any other brands/models.

Out of the box I was already pleased, as the binocular has a similar feel of the nice Ultravids that I handled at the store. The armor/finish is
smooth and feels very nice just like the Ultravids. It did not feel as heavy as I imagined. I thought it would feel like a brick, but it doesn’t, as the weight
is balanced very well. Compared to my Katmai which is a little over 18 oz , the Trinovid does not feel a ton heavier. This is due to the fact that the Katmai is very short and squat and the weight is not distributed evenly over long barrels. The Trinovid has good weight balance and this was a nice surprise. I used it with my harness over the weekend. In the Binomania review, the reviewer states that he weighed the Trinovid with an electronic scale revealing a lighter weight than specified by Leica.

Ergonomics and fit in my hands was another very pleasant surprise. When using with both hands it fits nicely and is
comfy to hold. The ridges under the barrels are helpful making it more comfortable and also provide a better grip. The top of each barrel flattens out
which provides a nice flat area where your fingers can lay nicely on the top of the binocular. This makes it easier or more convenient to reach the focus wheel too.
The Trinovid does feel tank-like and very substantial. I don’t mind this in a full size. With mid-sized bins I like small and light, but with full size I accept
the fact that it will be heavier and more substantial. I find some security in the build, as I perceive the binocular to be rugged and durable.
It has a magnesium housing and stainless steel focus mechanism. The eyecups have several click stops, but I keep them screwed in for my eyeglasses anyway. For those who do not wear glasses, I think you will find the eye cups nice and of good quality.

The focus is not fast, but smooth. I’ve heard the complaints of unsmooth focus with Leica binoculars, but I have encountered no problems here
as of yet. The focus is even with no notchy spots (unlike the Swaro CL I had). The focus wheel and diopter combo is just awesome and the best diopter I’ve ever used. Both wheels have rubber ridges or ‘treads’ which I find very helpful and I’m sure will help with gloves in the cold weather. After setting the diopter it is essentially back to zero. I will need to fiddle with this one more time and see if I get the same result. Normally, I find setting the diopter tedious, but this diopter mechanism makes it a little easier. This might sound strange, but I find the click noise when pulling up the diopter and closing it sort of satisfying.

The ER is sufficient with my glasses at 15.5mm, but I think it could be a tiny bit better if it was around 16mm or 16.5mm (like the Katmai). I was able to get by with the Swaro CL at 15mm, so it’s not really a problem. The large exit pupil helps and overall it’s good with eyeglasses. Joel at CameraLand
assured me that it would be ok with glasses (I was skeptical) and he was right.

When I first took a long look through the binocular I found it to be sharper than I imagined. I think this may be due to having lower expectations from
reading some negative reviews beforehand. After I ordered the bin I was not quite sure if I was getting a high quality binocular (based on the pro reviews)
or somewhat crappy optics (based on user reviews). My first thought after looking through the binocular for the first time was, what the heck are people talking about…this is really nice !
Some of the comments express disappointment with the new Trinovid for not containing HD/ED or fluorite glass and that this is an example of Leica falling behind in technology at this point in binocular advancement. This is a valid point when you have the Conquest HD and Vortex Razor HD (among others) competing in around the same tier.
Despite no fluorite glass, I find the image to be generally rich or vibrant. Based on memory, it appears to have better contrast than the Swaro CL. It is also notably sharper. I wouldn’t say it is razor sharp, but it is close and is certainly sharp enough for me. Of course it is very bright being a 42mm full size bin. The sweet spot seems to be large. I had difficulty trying to spot the point where the image begins to degrade (I really couldn’t…it’s super gradual) which I think says something good there. It is not
sharp edge to edge, but I’d say that it has a large area of high quality image. More experienced optics users could probably see more than I could in terms of where the sweet spot ends and to what degree it degrades going out towards the edge.

CA is very well controlled in the center of the image and practically non-existent there. We had three days in a row here in NJ with white/gray skies, so I had a good chance to test for CA over the weekend. I looked at tree branches against the whitish and grayish overcast sky. CA is prevalent towards the edges and in one instance was a bit ugly (away from the center) revealing a purple hue. I tested for CA about 3 times over the weekend with and without the eyeglasses. I watched Black Vultures flapping by against a very white sky and saw no discernable color fringing around the birds. I viewed a Mallard silhouette with strong sun reflecting off of the melting ice behind him making him a virtual shadow. I was able to make out his face and eye as dark as the figure was.
When I was not testing for CA it was simply not present. It wasn’t present because I was not looking for it and was instinctively centering each subject.
This CA issue will most certainly bother some of you who are susceptible to CA or cannot abide an expensive binocular without HD/ED glass. This is something which does not bother me at all. CA is something that never really bothered me like it bothers others. I have my personal pet peeves with binoculars, but CA is not one of them. If it is controlled well and essentially absent in the center (which it is here with the Trinovid) then I’m happy.

The lens caps all fit nice and snug which I prefer. The tethered obj. lens caps cover the barrels more than other lens caps that I’ve had and the rain guard fits tightly. I don’t like loose rain guards. The box the binocular and accessories came in has two foam trays stacked on top of one another that hold each item securely in place. There is a little signed inspection card also included which I thought nice and inspires a little confidence in the product you are receiving.

I purchased this bin at CameraLand as a demo. I paid $1,150. I do agree that the cost new is a bit high at $1,500 when you have the Vortex Razor HD and Conquest HD at lower prices. However, I feel I have a real nice binocular with very good optics. I especially like the way it is designed, the fit and feel and the smoothness of the mechanics. I am very happy with this purchase. I feel that I made two big scores lately with finding the discontinued Katmai 6x32 and taking a chance on this wonderful new Trinovid.

~ Beth

Attachments

• Trinovid2.jpg
    Trinovid2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 925
  • Trinovid.jpg
    Trinovid.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,114
Last edited:
Annabeth:

Thanks for the nice review, I enjoyed it, and it was just as most would
like to see in a first impression evaluation.

Leica makes only high end binoculars in any case, so good to see a
positive review of this model.

When comparing binoculars at the highest level, it does come down to
personal preference.

Enjoy in good health. And Merry Christmas to all.

Jerry

Thank you Bryce and Jerry. Yes, I am more pleased with the Trinovid than I thought
I'd be. Merry Christmas to you as well. :)

Annabeth. Job very well done -- congrat. The Trinovid is of a superb pedigree and should serve you very well indeed for many years to come. Your review identified many of the Trinovid excellent points of which its superb diopter adjustment is certainly one of them; I think that it is the best among the alphas. Enjoy in good health, and please keep your impressions of its use coming as you develop them. Regards.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All.

Congratulations on your Christmas Trinovids! Enjoy them, they really are lifetime investments.
In fact, if the 8x42s are anything like my brothers 8x32BN, your new binoculars will still give pleasure to your grandkids. They are pretty bulletproof.

Also thank you for the informative review.

Beth, thanks for a v. nice review, about an intriguing (to me) model rarely dealt with in Bf. I wonder if it's been selling well. Posting especially to ask: have you experienced model/s noticeably sharper, and if so what you call "razor sharp"? Looking fwd. also to see how you find it in in v. low light, and of course in the long run.

Annabeth,

Nice write up on Leica's "forgotten roof." Unlike the Conquest HD, the "buzz" on the new Trinnie lasted about 60 seconds before a few people pronounced it "ho hum," and the conversation moved st. elsewhere.

I think part of the reason for this disparity is that the original Trinnie has some very dedicated followers whereas there wasn't a lot of deep love out there for the original Conquests, so Leica fans had higher expectations than Zeiss fans when it came to the successors in the second tier.

Also, compared to the more svelte and Ultravid-like new Trinnie, the old Trinnie was famous for its brick-like shape and ribbed armoring. So while the new version may have the name Trinovid, this wasn't the "world famous" Trinovid of yesteryear that birders, now middle-aged and older, came to know and love in their prime.

It's always tough to try and top yourself when you've made a Classic. I was just watching "Top Gear" on BBC, and it reminded me of cars that made a very strong initial impression but that were later watered down to the point of being insipid. For example, the Ford Mustang went from being a cool sporty car, and with the Shelby GT (which is being reintroduced next year), a muscle car, to an uninspired design identical to the Mercury Caprice, which became a favorite with secretaries.

Ford also reintroduced Thunderbird as a denatured, overblown version in the late 1980s/early 1990s that had none of the character of the original. The reintroduced version was big on the outside, but had a rather cramped cabin. My best friend had a 1963 T-Bird and I had a 1968 Dodge Charger, and we thought we were so cool with our Classic cars, but we were just nerds with cool cars :).

I think Leica would have been better off coming up with a new name for its second tier offering so there were no prior expectations, and yes, at that price (usually around $1,450), making it with ED glass. Leica was a victim of its own success with the original Trinnies.

However, I'm glad you didn't let the negative feedback stop you from trying the new Trinnie and that you now have a line up of bins for different occasions that suits you. Some birders, who have been trying bins for a lot longer than you, have still not found that "perfect" combo that works for them, so they keep searching.

Brock

Last edited:
Nice review of a forgotten model. It just seems that certain bins take hold and others fade away, often due to nothing more than whim.

Your Trinnie certainly looks the part, obviously high quality.

Annabeth,

Thanks for that fine review-- thorough and enjoyable. Leica has always been good at keeping lateral color under control with normal glass. Of the several Leica's I've owned only the 12x50 BN is objectionable in that way.

I owned the original Leica Trinovid 8x42 BA brick, my first great birding binocular, and it was love, which can never come again, if such can be between guy and glass. True enough, it was imperfect, and I was dumb, but there it is. I hope your relationship with the modern version ruins you for life too.

Ron

Hello Annabeth,

Nice and usefull review! And I agree with you about the new Trinovid! I have tried, side by side, several times at a gunshop in Buenos Aires, a new Trinovid and a Ultravid HD both in 10x42. Several times...and between these two samples, the T was sharper and with a better general view than the UV. Sounds strange but, as I said, tried several times...!

Merry Christmas!!

PHA

... CA is very well controlled in the center of the image and practically non-existent there. We had three days in a row here in NJ with white/gray skies, so I had a good chance to test for CA over the weekend. I looked at tree branches against the whitish and grayish overcast sky. CA is prevalent towards the edges and in one instance was a bit ugly (away from the center) revealing a purple hue. I tested for CA about 3 times over the weekend with and without the eyeglasses. I watched Black Vultures flapping by against a very white sky and saw no discernable color fringing around the birds. I viewed a Mallard silhouette with strong sun reflecting off of the melting ice behind him making him a virtual shadow. I was able to make out his face and eye as dark as the figure was.
When I was not testing for CA it was simply not present. It wasn’t present because I was not looking for it and was instinctively centering each subject.
This CA issue will most certainly bother some of you who are susceptible to CA or cannot abide an expensive binocular without HD/ED glass. This is something which does not bother me at all. CA is something that never really bothered me like it bothers others. I have my personal pet peeves with binoculars, but CA is not one of them. If it is controlled well and essentially absent in the center (which it is here with the Trinovid) then I’m happy...

~ Beth

Hi Annabeth,

Thanks for a very concise, to-the-point and balanced review. Good to have the steadying influence of a discerning woman on a very male-dominated forum! I must say that I'm very much in agreement with your comments about CA; if you are using the instrument for its intended purpose - in our case birding - then CA, if present, shouldn't be a problem as you shouldn't really be 'looking for it'! Many birders seem to get so hung-up on the technical side of their optics - none of which can EVER be perfect - that they can't possibly have time to be out in the field using them! I look forward to reading more of your reviews in the future.

Have a good Christmas and good birding in 2014!

LL

Nicely done Annabeth. I have yet to try this model but feel I know what to expect when I do. Would love to see some Zeiss Conquest and Meopta HD comparisons in the future.

Hello Annabeth,

Nice and usefull review! And I agree with you about the new Trinovid! I have tried, side by side, several times at a gunshop in Buenos Aires, a new Trinovid and a Ultravid HD both in 10x42. Several times...and between these two samples, the T was sharper and with a better general view than the UV. Sounds strange but, as I said, tried several times...!

Merry Christmas!!

PHA

This mirrors my in store experience at Cabela's also. I felt the Trinovid was sharper than the Ultravid. Guess it's time for Leica to upgrade the Ultravid.

Merry Christmas All!

Annabeth......... a review from a real birder......thank you. The 8X42 BN was my first birding bin and like ronh it was love at first sight. Enjoy your new Trinovids.

I think part of the reason for this disparity is that the original Trinnie has some very dedicated followers whereas there wasn't a lot of deep love out there for the original Conquests, so Leica fans had higher expectations than Zeiss fans when it came to the successors in the second tier.

Also, compared to the more svelte and Ultravid-like new Trinnie, the old Trinnie was famous for its brick-like shape and ribbed armoring. So while the new version may have the name Trinovid, this wasn't the "world famous" Trinovid of yesteryear that birders, now middle-aged and older, came to know and love in their prime.

It's always tough to try and top yourself when you've made a Classic. I think Leica would have been better off coming up with a new name for its second tier offering so there were no prior expectations, and yes, at that price (usually around $1,450), making it with ED glass. Leica was a victim of its own success with the original Trinnies.

Brock,

I think you hit it here with this explanation and it's something I thought about before. I have never owned a Leica bin , so I have nothing to measure the new Trinovid against (except for small experience with UV in the store). Maybe for some Leica fans and past owners, the new Trinovid does not have the look or feel of the old model and the nostalgia is lost. It looks and feels more like the Ultravid. It could be too much of a change...I dunno just guessing here. This will be the quintessential Trinovid for me since it is my first.

One sort of 'old skool' aspect is the very fact that it has no fancy schmancy HD/ED glass. Instead it's just good old fashioned heavy glass. :t: JK

Last edited:
Nicely done Annabeth. I have yet to try this model but feel I know what to expect when I do. Would love to see some Zeiss Conquest and Meopta HD comparisons in the future.

It would be nice to have some comparisons to see if people discover (as I did) the positive aspects or strong points of the Trinovid. The competition obviously is very close now (especially optically), but I think some people may come to appreciate the handling and design of this new model which makes it all around a nice bin.

Beth, thanks for a v. nice review, about an intriguing (to me) model rarely dealt with in Bf. I wonder if it's been selling well. Posting especially to ask: have you experienced model/s noticeably sharper, and if so what you call "razor sharp"? Looking fwd. also to see how you find it in in v. low light, and of course in the long run.

yes, I was mentally comparing the Trinovid to the Nikon Premiere SE 8x32 which I owned for a few months. The SE is razor sharp. I remember being astonished at just how sharp it was when I first used it. The Trinovid comes very close though. It's still very sharp and has a nice view with great contrast and, as I mentioned earler, a sort of rich quality to the image. However, my impressions could be different if I had both to compare side by side.

I'll try to remember to report back down the road after a lot more usage with it out in the field. I saw two lifers on my first outing with the Trinovid: a Golden-crowned Kinglet and
Red-breasted Nuthatch. :)

Thank you all for the well wishes and kind words.

Last edited:
Beth

What a terrific review, straight from the heart, lovely.

Elsewhere on BF our good friend Jan reports that (with some help from Leica discounts) he has sold more Trinnies in 3 months in 2013 than the total Leicas he sold in 2012.

Seems the 'new' Trinnie' is a 'sleeper' sneaking its way stealthily onto shopping lists discretely and quietly and with excellent good taste.

A big thank you for the review :t:

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back