• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls help, China (1 Viewer)

xuky.summer

I taken these gulls at Qingdao, Shandong province, Nov 11, 2017

1 2 same bird, a dark 1cy mongolicus with streaked head? or a pale vegae?
3 another dark 1cy mongolicus?
4 5 2cy vegae? but p8 is growing, much like 2cy mongolicus

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 48
Aren't these 1st winters too "dirty" and blotched/streaked to be mongolicus. What about vegae with advanced scap moult?

2cy one gives me a feeling of a Taimyr Gull

Aren't these 1st winters too "dirty" and blotched/streaked to be mongolicus. What about vegae with advanced scap moult?

2cy one gives me a feeling of a Taimyr Gull

FWIW, I agree with mongolicus for the first-winters. I would have thought a vegae would be more solidly dark on the belly and more barred through the rump at this time. These birds have perhaps just not started to bleach yet.

I'm not sure a taimyrensis can ever look like the 2CY bird. Most have extensive blue-grey feathers through the mantle and coverts by the time they leave here late in their first-winter (with juvenile flight feathers). The combination of 'juvenile-looking' coverts and replaced primaries doesn't seem right for taimyrensis to me somehow (though fine for some other 2 CY gull).

However, the 'FWIW' means I'll happily stand corrected if wrong also!

Steve

Agree on the first winters (mongolicus due to advanced scapular moult). About the second winter one, I would expect a paler and more "snowy" plumage overall for a second winter mongolian gull, with head, underparts and coverts being a lot cleaner an paler and inner primary window being paler as well.

Also look and the still juvenile p10 , indication of a very late moult, perhaps more suitable for taimyrensis than mongolicus and that slender and pointed bill , which fits better taimyrensis

I suspect it's a slightly reatarded 2cy Taimyr Gull

Last edited:
Hi balex78
There are some Taimyr Gulls around indeed, but they're replacing P5 (P4,p6), and this one is replaceing P8. It looks like too advanced for Taimyr. Why would you say it is retarded?

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 20
A silly question for you both (and of course for anyone for that matter) about the 2CY, but one that might help resolve whether or not this bird is taimyrensis !

Is the primary moult of a first-summer to second-winter generally 'in sync' with that of its respective adult? Or does it precede or lag it by some amount of time?

I ask because adult taimyrensis here are typically still replacing the outermost primaries right up into February (as are some birds I consider to be vegae), which leads me to believe that the 2CY here is quite advanced rather than retarded.

Steve

A silly question for you both (and of course for anyone for that matter) about the 2CY, but one that might help resolve whether or not this bird is taimyrensis !

Is the primary moult of a first-summer to second-winter generally 'in sync' with that of its respective adult? Or does it precede or lag it by some amount of time?

I ask because adult taimyrensis here are typically still replacing the outermost primaries right up into February (as are some birds I consider to be vegae), which leads me to believe that the 2CY here is quite advanced rather than retarded.

Steve

hi steve, the rule is that the younger a bird is the earlier it moults. differences are up to, say, one month.

Hi Steve. Lou explained it. A non-retarded 2cy bird would have finished primary moult by now.

Thanks Lou and Alex. That's very useful to know!

As adult Mongolian Gull has finished its primary moult by now, I guess that at least can be excluded, then, and that the 2CY above is one of the more northerly taxa.

Steve

Look at these two second winter taimyrensis. They're not Flying but their upperparts pattern (and primary moult stage) may recall our bird here

http://www23.tok2.com/home/jgull/taimy_2w_.htm

http://www23.tok2.com/home/jgull/HeuG2w1028/Heug2w1028.html

Hi Alex,

Yes, I'm now convinced by your answer of retarded 2CY taimyrensis!

This was a baffling response for me at first as many first-winter taimyrensis here replace some mantle and covert feathers with adult-type grey feathers before they leave in spring (as in the first bird attached below (Feb)). I would therefore expect a 2CY in autumn to look much more like an adult than the bird in the OP, perhaps something more like the second bird I have attached (also Feb). However, this second bird does have an uniterrupted row of 'second-year-like' greater coverts (not adult-like grey ones), indicating that not all taimyrensis moult directly into more adult-like plumages during/post first-winter.

Much kudos to you for picking that one out!

Steve

Attachments

• Heuglin's Gull (01) - Copy.jpg
    Heuglin's Gull (01) - Copy.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Heuglin's Gull (10) - Copy.jpg
    Heuglin's Gull (10) - Copy.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 24
Well thank yu Steve but that's just my humble opinion. Doesn't mean it is actually a taimyr gull :) .

Your second bird is a 3cy february, that means it's about 4 months older than the OP bird. To correctly compare them we should see our bird in 4 months and check its covert moult state.

Thank you all!
Hi Steve, just a question, why your second is not a mongolicus? it has large morrors on p10, may be strange for a second-winter taimyrensis?

Thank you all!
Hi Steve, just a question, why your second is not a mongolicus? it has large morrors on p10, may be strange for a second-winter taimyrensis?

Hi Xuky,

That's a fair question I suppose, and one I might not be able to answer well!

The wing of this bird for me is a second-winter wing (black secondaries) rather than a third-winter wing (blue-grey secondaries). Given that, everything about the bird looks very advanced (adult-type feathers above, uneven narrow tail band, yellow tones to the bill), as in a big gull that aquires adult plumage 'one year in advance' (i.e taimyrensis). I would have thought a mongolicus would show more traces of immaturity as a second-winter (e.g. more brown generally above, brown-centred tertials, a broader tail band) at this age.

However, I'm not especially confident with much beyond first-winters, and sample sizes here really are far too small!

Steve

I think your right, the dark greater-coverts looks strange for a second winter mongolicus. I find a second winter taimyrensis(?) from my photos, it also have morrors on p10.

Feb 28, 2017 at Qingdao

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 17
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back