• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you carry your scope/tripod around? (1 Viewer)

senatore

I see most birders carry their scope /tripods across their shoulders when walking around.This does not leave your hands free to grab your bins up at lightening speed to catch a nearby rareity (If only).

How do you keep your hands free ? Are any of these carrying straps worth a look?

MAX.

There are a few choices if you don't want to carry your scope rested over one shoulder...

You could add a tripod strap - if you have a Manfrotto tripod they produce a few different straps allowing you to carry the tripod with the strap over one shoulder. You can also get generic straps that will work on most tripods.

The second choice, which seems to be getting very popular, is to use a tripod carrier. These attach to two of the tripod legs and are worn like a back pack - this way you have both hands free for your bins and it also spreads the weight of the scope/tripod making it easier to carry. I think these look like excelelnt things - however they are not much use, if like em you carry a camera bag on your back!
Here's a link that shows you a bit more about them: http://www.cleyspy.co.uk/product.asp?parseid=162

The back-pack carrier just looks a bit geeky to me, not sure if I would have the bottle to walk around with one of those on my back.

I sometimes carry my scope & tripod over my shoulder by the strap that's attached to my scope case. I'm cautious of doing so, as I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's a bit risky - although I can't remember why?

Perhaps some kind person would refresh my memory

Kevin

You could try using two straps; if the tripod hits the back of your legs while you are walking, try shortening one/lengthening the other. does a decent job of load balancing too.

They don't have to be 'pukka' tripod straps - take a look in your local outdoor gear shop for a belt, these can easily be modified to work; if you need some padding, try threading each belt through a section of bicycle handlebar foam tubing first.

Andy.

PS:- So - I'm a cheapskate ;)!

Kevin said:
I sometimes carry my scope & tripod over my shoulder by the strap that's attached to my scope case. I'm cautious of doing so, as I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's a bit risky - although I can't remember why?

Perhaps some kind person would refresh my memory

This is not recommended as the weight of the tripod is being held by the small tripod mointing screw (the one you screw into the scopes 'foot'), the tripod will often work loose and may fall off. This can also cause damage to the thread of the tripod mount, so you might end up having to get this repaired so that you can still mount the scope onto a tripod.

Manufacturers often advise that the scope whould be carried seperately to the tripod to avoid this problem and also to avoid the potential for the scope to come off - this is one of the main reasons for quick release plates. Personally I don't like carrying them seperately as I want my scope ready to use.

postcardcv said:
This is not recommended as the weight of the tripod is being held by the small tripod mointing screw (the one you screw into the scopes 'foot'), the tripod will often work loose and may fall off. This can also cause damage to the thread of the tripod mount, so you might end up having to get this repaired so that you can still mount the scope onto a tripod.

Manufacturers often advise that the scope whould be carried seperately to the tripod to avoid this problem and also to avoid the potential for the scope to come off - this is one of the main reasons for quick release plates. Personally I don't like carrying them seperately as I want my scope ready to use.
Hmm

Surely then, the same concerns apply to using tripod straps with the scope connected?

There must still be forces acting on the connecting screw?

Kevin

Hi Max-

I'm an advocate of the backpack-style carrier (Mule, Tri-Pack, etc.). Had the same one for over ten years.

Anyone who shuns them because they look "geeky" should try hiking in the mountains with a tripod resting on the shoulder.

-Adam

Kevin said:
Hmm

Surely then, the same concerns apply to using tripod straps with the scope connected?

Kevin

Ture - but in general the tripod will weight more than the scope, so you'd be better carrying it by the tripod than the scope.

But as I said manufacturers recommend carrying scope and tripod seperately to remove this problem.

Blackstart said:
Hi Max-

I'm an advocate of the backpack-style carrier (Mule, Tri-Pack, etc.). Had the same one for over ten years.

Anyone who shuns them because they look "geeky" should try hiking in the mountains with a tripod resting on the shoulder.

-Adam
Spent some time on Skomer and Ramsey islands last month, carried both scope and tripod in my rucksack. Walked a good few miles and climbed to all the highpoints. Only took seconds to unpack and set up.

Kevin said:
Hmm

Kevin
Surely the same pressures would also exist when carrying the scope and tripod on a shoulder?

Imagine a rice crispie stuck to a watermelon using a blob of honey (how did i think up this analogy?). Imagine what would happen to the rice crispie if you picked up the melon. Now imagine what would happen to the melon if you picked up the rice crispie. The forces acting on the tripod screw are different according to how you are set up as the tripod and scope weigh different amounts, as postcardcv said. If the strap is attached to the tripod, the screw bears the weight of the scope, if the strap is attached to the scope, the screw bears the weight of the tripod. If one end of the strap is attached to the tripod, and one is attached to the scope....ah, that's where the limitations of my physics knowledge kicks in ;)

James

If the scope & tripod are carried together using a single strap attached to the tripod, the scope can work loose and then... Oops!!

Rich.

Tripod over one shoulder using a strap. Camera over the other shoulder. Camera bad on my back. Bins round my neck. Both hands free to grab either camera or bins.

Girlfriend carries the scope!

rezMole, you might be sleeping on the couch tonight:))))

As I always have a backpack with me, I carry the scope on my shoulder. After years of practicing, I can now grab my bins, and balance the tripod/scope on the shoulder (and I only dropped the scope a few times).

Spouse carries the tripod/scope setup with the backpack - pack strap (attached to tripod, not scope) over one shoulder for short distances, over both shoulders for longer walks between viewing spots, with scope off tripod for hike to viewing spot area. Back pack no more geeky than any other setup with scope, bins, camera, etc! Face it folks, we're geeks - let's be proud! And comfortable... Barbara

James Lowther said:
Imagine a rice crispie stuck to a watermelon using a blob of honey (how did i think up this analogy?). Imagine what would happen to the rice crispie if you picked up the melon. Now imagine what would happen to the melon if you picked up the rice crispie. The forces acting on the tripod screw are different according to how you are set up as the tripod and scope weigh different amounts, as postcardcv said. If the strap is attached to the tripod, the screw bears the weight of the scope, if the strap is attached to the scope, the screw bears the weight of the tripod. If one end of the strap is attached to the tripod, and one is attached to the scope....ah, that's where the limitations of my physics knowledge kicks in ;)

James
All probably true but I was referring to carrying the scope and tripod on my shoulder, not with a strap.

Scope + tripod + shoulder = DISASTER

I have seen 2 separate occasions at twitches when the screw or adaptor plate has failed and a birders pride & joy scope has turned into an expensive doorstop.

When walking to a birding site, my tripod lives strapped under my bergen and the scope on top of it - between sites I carry both items separately using wide neoprene straps (Op-Tech).

Rather risk missing a bird than writing off my scope.

snowyowl said:
All probably true but I was referring to carrying the scope and tripod on my shoulder, not with a strap.

So you were,....oops!

In that situation the screw is probably bearing the weight of the scope, rather than the tripod, so it's still probably not as bad.

Get a Tri-pack. I have one, and it makes my scope MUCH easier to carry. For one thing, if I'm walking along a trail through the woods on the way to a lake or something, I can whip up my binocs and identify a small warbler or vireo without bending over, setting down the scope, standing up and looking. It saves time, and often small birds don't give you much time. That is only one advantage. Carrying a scope on your shoulder digs into your skin unless if you are wearing heavy clothing. If you have your Tri-pack set properly, you will not have any soreness or pain. Some people think that it takes too long to take your scope off your back. This is absolutly not true; it is exactly like taking a back pack off your back. As for the looks, I personally think that a Tri-pack is not geeky at all. I am very happy with mine, and I can recommend purchasing one.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back