• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler Id please (1 Viewer)

nikovich

This is one of the first Warblers to arrive in our Province of Saskatchewan , Canada this year .
Other than this little guy - all I've seen so far this Month have been 2 Yellow Rumped. More should arrive in about 2 weeks.

Is this a Wilson's or Orange Crowned ..?

thanks

Nick

Attachments

• warbl-3.5.06.jpg
    warbl-3.5.06.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 198
I'd be leaning towards Orange Crowned, but I'm ever so rusty on US Warblers - off to check up! I think there is enough of the coverts poking out around the leaves to rule out Tenessee!

Last edited:
saw many Wilson's recently and it's not on of those

I'm not very good on these but Tennessee and well as Orange-crowned spring to mind but without looking in books (and i'm trying to write my Costa Rica stuff still!!!) i can't help much further

I think you'll need someone very hot on US Warblers - the under-tail coverts, wing tips and coverts are all obscured by unfortunately placed leaves, so its going to be down to subtle character features. Since I have seen either Tenessee or Orange-crowned its time to back down!

Which arrives first of the two species?

Hey Jan

those Tennessees you linked are all males!!!

do us a few females... i'm too lazy!!!

and you are the link meister :king:

Tim

is the throat a bit pale for OCW? Prob not! A species i need to see...

Last edited:
Vermivora celata celata for my vote, joining the consensus.

It is a spring bird, that is a lot of yellow, it is subtly streaked on the underparts, and the eye area looks a lot more like a yellow eye ring than a strong eye eye line under a strong supercilium. Note the olive head and gray back, also the reverse of what you want to see on a TN, and enough to even have me speculating about the gender being female...?

Also Orange-crowned migration should lead the Tennessees by a week or two in Nick's part of the continent.

I havn't seen either OC or TEN since I was last in Manitoba, but OC is what immediately sprang to mind for me. And I tend to agree with Thayeri that this is a male. That's a lot of yellow, especially for a spring bird.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back