• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 600mm f4 afs (1 Viewer)

rjones1259

Hi all,
I have just spent lots of English £££ on a Nikon 600mm F4 afs secondhand lens but it has gone to Nikon to be looked at as it will not focus any closer than about 30m, I hope it will be easy to put right. After using my 300 2.8 with a 1.7x this is quite a jump, (at least weight wise).

Has any one else had problems with this lens or problems with focus on nikon lenses?

Regards,

Rob.

Rob,
It seems like a mechanical problem or a bad chip communication issue. It is quite rare with long lenses, but should be fixable.
Optically - it is superb, but quite heavy, at least for me. The new generation - AFSII is lighter and a bit shorter.

Hi thanks for the reply,

Nikon have had the lens 10 days and cant find the problem so are going to take it apart to clean at a cost of 2.5 hours at £75.00 per hour + £25.00 for parts + VAT.

This is the second lens in 30 days, the fist one came and was damaged but worked fine focused to 6m no problem, the second one just will not focus just hunts at a distance below 30m, worked in manual fine.

We will see.

Rob.

rjones1259 said:
Hi thanks for the reply,

Nikon have had the lens 10 days and cant find the problem so are going to take it apart to clean at a cost of 2.5 hours at £75.00 per hour + £25.00 for parts + VAT.

This is the second lens in 30 days, the fist one came and was damaged but worked fine focused to 6m no problem, the second one just will not focus just hunts at a distance below 30m, worked in manual fine.

We will see.

Rob.

Nikon have found the problem it needs a DC-DC converter?? part should be here next week so I may get the lens back on Friday.

Rob.

Apparently, the DC voltage supplied to the lens from the camera should be converted to another voltage for the lens use. It's the first time I hear about such a problem. I hope that the lens will come back to you in a good working condition.
After shooting with it for a while, you'll probably forget the problems when you'll see and enjoy the results...

yossi said:
Apparently, the DC voltage supplied to the lens from the camera should be converted to another voltage for the lens use. It's the first time I hear about such a problem. I hope that the lens will come back to you in a good working condition.
After shooting with it for a while, you'll probably forget the problems when you'll see and enjoy the results...

Nikon have fitted the DC-DC converter, Quess what it still will not focus.

Nikkon want £600.00 more to make it work! will it work then?

Rob.

rjones1259 said:
Nikon have fitted the DC-DC converter, Quess what it still will not focus.

Nikkon want £600.00 more to make it work! will it work then?

Rob.

Sorry to hear this. What was their excuse then for replacing the DC to DC converter? Did it make any change? They did not solve the original problem...
Can they assure you that after splashing another 600 pounds it will work? If they will, and you are already so much invested in it, do you have another choice?

Errrr.... did you know the lens was faulty when you bought it? If not, then it sounds to me like you've got a serious problem with the seller of the lens, rather than with Nikon. Surely you didn't spend that kind of cash on something that was known to be broken, and might cost an arm and a leg to put right?

dbradnum said:
Errrr.... did you know the lens was faulty when you bought it? If not, then it sounds to me like you've got a serious problem with the seller of the lens, rather than with Nikon. Surely you didn't spend that kind of cash on something that was known to be broken, and might cost an arm and a leg to put right?

Hi The lens is being put right under warranty from the camera shop that sold it to me.

The lens looks like new still in original cardboard box and not a mark on the glass body, mount, case, etc.

Nikon thought it was a new one.

The lens will focus correctly at distance above 25m but hunts below this ??

I have been told that Nikon have not seen this problem before!!

I found out today that Nikon have not yet fitted the DC-DC but don’t think it will put it right, and will need the extra bit.

So I will not have to pay for any repair, and the dealer is happy to return all my money on Monday if Nikon cannot put it right.

Regards,

Rob.

rjones1259 said:
Hi The lens is being put right under warranty from the camera shop that sold it to me.

The lens looks like new still in original cardboard box and not a mark on the glass body, mount, case, etc.

Nikon thought it was a new one.

The lens will focus correctly at distance above 25m but hunts below this ??

I have been told that Nikon have not seen this problem before!!

I found out today that Nikon have not yet fitted the DC-DC but don’t think it will put it right, and will need the extra bit.

So I will not have to pay for any repair, and the dealer is happy to return all my money on Monday if Nikon cannot put it right.

Regards,

Rob.

Just to update anybody who may be interested, Nikon is unable to find any parts to make this lens work.

If you are interested in a second hand lens from Nikon of the AF S type be very careful as I have been told many are hard to get fixed quickly.

Few parts are on the shelf for the 600mm afs lens Nikon have had the lens 8 weeks and every week I have been told next week, this week I was told "we have no idea how long it will take to get a part for this lens".

Regards,

Rob.

yossi said:
What a terrible story. I'm sorry for you - never heard such a thing before.

Yes absolutely, and there is a definite moral in that story for anyone contemplating buying an expensive used lens.

Leif

Out of interest Rob, please confirm you got all your money back for lens, repairs (unsuccesful) postage etc.

I trust the only thing you lost was time & a bit of sanity.

Was it a new or used lens as the thread never really says, except it was under warranty of some sort.

Steve

Quacker said:
Out of interest Rob, please confirm you got all your money back for lens, repairs (unsuccesful) postage etc.

I trust the only thing you lost was time & a bit of sanity.

Was it a new or used lens as the thread never really says, except it was under warranty of some sort.

Steve

Hi Steve, All,

Lens was second hand bought from Nikon dealer. AFS MK1 not II
Had six months warranty looks like new mint not a mark still in outer card shipping case and complete with unopened bits, case looked like new as well.

To date I have not had my money back but the dealer did not get the lens back till Wednesday morning and I have asked him for a new Nikon D2Xs as a swap, this is coming from Nikon, I guess Tuesday next week (if there is any still in stock) I was offered my money back.

The dealer has always offered my money back but I waited as I wanted the lens and it was a good price.

Anyone who may have read my last thread about a Nikon 600mm AFS II that came with a scratch on the front element will be pleased to know I have had all my money back from the Dealer but I had to start taking them to court first, then they paid up no problem.

I am going to stick with a 300mm and 1.4 and 1.7x Converters it much lighter and works fine very sharp and I have one already.

Can I add I have been taking pictures for 30 years and had most of Nikons body’s and lenses and still only love Nikon, I have worked as a Sports, Medical, and wedding photographer during this time I am now fed up with taking people and am trying Birds etc, but this is the first time I have ever had any problems with Nikon or their Cameras / Lenses.

Regards,

Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back