• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK ... deep breath! These are my efforts (1 Viewer)

LOL ... doesn't look very much like a crow come to think of it - Thanks Nick, appreciate the comment (I think!!) - losing the plot a bit with 'bird painting' I think, not sure where I'm heading style wise - I'll feel the freedom of landscapes calling again! - cheers Arthur.

Fantastic feeder activity this morning! (well for my garden anyway) Highest number of Greenfinch this year all in one go with at least 3 juves being fed still (?! late), Robin and Blue Tits (far too active for me to sketch!) etc

One of the adult males had a metal ring (BTO?) on left leg - which i wouldn't have noticed unless I'd been sketching.

Dad rushed back into hospital last night, so not quite with it at the moment - back to work this afternoon now til Tuesday :-C.

Attachments

• greenfinchjuvessept9.JPG
    greenfinchjuvessept9.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 62
More great Greenies Deb!!

Nice to see the accompanying notes ..and the Collared Dove is a little honey;)

Thoughts are with your dad..

Matt

Many thanks all of you - still in hospital but Mum's insisting it's still ''safe'' for me to go to Poland next week - I need to buy an extra large peanut feeder before I go, Greenies have gone through a kilo of peanuts in past two weeks!

Found an old envelope at the bottom of my rucksack last week with fieldnotes of the Glossy Ibis I found in Sussex on it. Tried a painting last night but didn't work, so will have a few more goes, here's the second attempt.

Trying to paint metallic greens and violet multicoloured plumage in water colour is incredibly difficult, Lapwing were bad enough but GI's .... !!

I quite like the pose though - raised the leg from the fieldsketch and turned it facing other way - never seen an Ibis leg/foot so probably a bit off but assumed it was similar to Heron or L.Egret - Colours were much darker in the field too, not so 'red' more deep red/purple

EDIT! And before anyone says anything, I know! I've just googled some images and I've got the anatomy all wrong - the bird is missing a bone in it's leg and the wing is in the wrong place - I'll have another attempt using some photos in due course ... ah well

ANOTHER EDIT! Roughed it out again - structure looks better, will have another go at painting later

Attachments

• glossy ibis note.JPG
    glossy ibis note.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 54
  • glossy ibis siddlesham07.JPG
    glossy ibis siddlesham07.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 49
  • glossy IBE rough.jpg
    glossy IBE rough.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I live how you Sketched it on a Virgin Letter
The Colours are amazingly Accurate and you've caught the character of the Ibis well - well done

Haha, yes, I agree with Zac, the Virgin Mobile paper is quite amusing! Excellent sketches! I've seen White-faced Ibis, but no Glossy (yet) ;)

Those field notes are superb. The county recorder would have had no problem with those notes. I love the first ibis painting even if it does have a bone missing . Bags of character.
Steve

Been a couple of weeks since I looked at your thread Deborah but I have nowt but praise for your recent output. Field sketching and notes of Ibis is a treat, and glad you haven't toned down your rich watercolours, I find them very refreshing, and must mention the little collared dove, spot on.
Hope all goes well with your dad and you enjoy your trip.

Thanks Mouldy et al! (D will be out in a few days hopefully!)

Final draft of Ibis - overall pic is too large to scan - will finish painting it tonight or tomorrow (it's for my Dad's birthday actually as we have had family holidays in Egypt, a destination he loves - and where I first saw GI's - so will be an apt choice)

It's still not bang on as working from memory and fieldnotes for composition of bird but did find a photo of FEET!

Attachments

• glossy ibis sketch draft 4.JPG
    glossy ibis sketch draft 4.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 46
Final draft of Ibis - overall pic is too large to scan - will finish painting it tonight or tomorrow (it's for my Dad's birthday actually as we have had family holidays in Egypt, a destination he loves - and where I first saw GI's - so will be an apt choice)

Looks fantastic so far (draughtsmanship is I think what they call it!)...I think this one is going to be something a bit special!!

Look forward to seeing it when finished.

Matt

Last edited:
Yes - the drawing is excellent - lovely structure. Great start.

Thanks Matt/Tim

Y'all might as well see the whole thing in progress cos I'm bound to muck it up at some point and over paint it, or spill paint on it, or coffee or something ...!

Anyway this is the whole composition complis - and painting in progress (photo'd with flash and another not) - rather a 'traditional' depiction as it's for my Dad and so nothing tooooo 'creative'!

Attachments

• GI PAINT1.JPG
    GI PAINT1.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 49
  • G1 PAINT 2.JPG
    G1 PAINT 2.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
coming along very nicely, my favourite of the ibises is the 3rd pic in 209, all is there in just a dash or two of colour and line. Still not seen GI, certainly looking forward to my first one now! (Unless it's miles away and looks just like a curlew)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back