• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conference Birding at Delhi Aerocity 10-11March 2016 (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
A very intense day and a half's conference (environmental management of airports) based in the truly excellent Delhi AeroCity JW Marriott on the outskirts of Delhi allowed me just a couple of hours at the the top and tail of the second day for some opportunistic birding. An unexpectedly productive tour of the airport delivered a decent range of spectacular, if common, species plus a surprise mammal in the triangular scrap of bush jammed between the Aerocity and the edge of town.

A 10pm arrival at the hotel on Wednesday 9th March killed off any chance of birding on the day before the conference started. But peering hopefully into a polluted dawn the next morning I did pick up my first birds on the narrow strip between the highway and the airport fence. Common Myna, Hooded Crow, Red-vented Bulbul and a Laughing Dove, all poorly seen through the double glazing were hardly the stuff of dreams, but the same most emphatically could not be said for the magnificent Indian Peafowl that sauntered along a path through the scrub to review the morning traffic before scampering hastily away as a perambulating commuter spooked him off the path. The only other bird was a much less twitchy and typically elegant Red-wattled Lapwing; a bird that had, much to my surprised, graced the roof of the hotel during my previous conference visit to Delhi some six years earlier.

Next morning, having used Google Maps to identify a better-vegetated corner close to the hotel, I walked past a couple of piles of loosely strewn rubbish and into an area of tall trees with a scrubby understory over a crazy tumult of holes, trenches and disturbed foundations of long-razed buildings. No matter, the birding was pretty good – starting with a quintessentially Indian scene as a tumble of dusty-brown Jungle Babblers picked their way over a pile of discarded marigold garlands, a trio of small stripy squirrels in close attendance. A female Black Redstart was exploring the ground a little further on, and a constant bubbling chatter and scurrying shapes finally revealed itself as a flock of portly and stressy Grey Francolins. I never got near a briefly heard barbet sp. but then scored well as an Indian Grey Hornbill floated into the top of an open-crowned tree and a female Purple Sunbird zipped up onto a branch to inspect me before zipping on again with equal alacrity. I was pleased to find a splendid male Indian Peafowl in the top of a tree, and another dragged its magnificent tail across the foundation of the abandoned orange-and-cream-striped water tower, which held impressively large bee colonies on the lofty underside of the tank.

A second Indian Grey Hornbill in a different tree turned out to be the first of a group of six that flatly refused to be spooked by a female Shikra that dropped among them, but was clearly too small to pose a threat. Other bits and pieces included a briefly seen phyllosc that was probably a Hume’s Leaf Warbler, a Yellow-footed Green Pigeon, and a treeful of House Crows silhouetted against the sky on the far side of the trees. Well-pleased with the return on my efforts I headed back to the hotel for breakfast and more conferencing. A Black Drongo perched high on a street light just outside the gate was the final bird of the morning.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_6491 Jungle Babblers @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6491 Jungle Babblers @ Delhi.JPG
    783.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6493 Indian Peafowl @ Delhi.jpg
    IMG_6493 Indian Peafowl @ Delhi.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6494 House Crow @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6494 House Crow @ Delhi.JPG
    797.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6499 stripy squirrel sp. @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6499 stripy squirrel sp. @ Delhi.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6508 Shikra @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6508 Shikra @ Delhi.JPG
    553.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
After lunch, a tour of the airport offered the chance of a few more birds, and the distinctive ambience of the sewage treatment works did not disappoint – delivering an Indian Pied Wagtail keeping watch from the revolving bar in one of the tanks, two nest-building Indian Silverbills, a female Eurasian Kestrel, several Rose-ringed Parakeets, three Laughing Doves, and a second Shikra was soaring below a couple of typically angular Black Kites.

As we drove back round perimeter of the airfield three Green Bee-eaters were on the razor wire and a couple of Bank Mynas – greyer and with pink facial skin – were amongst the Common Mynas at the roadside. An Asian Pied Starling was a nice extra bonus washing in a puddle on the manicured lawns by the airside gate and, as we headed off for a tour of the solar farm a pair of Yellow-wattled Lapwings right by the roadside were an unexpected bonus. Other bits and pieces included the a few pairs of Red-wattled Lapwing, a couple of Ashy-crowned Sparrow-larks and half a dozen Oriental Skylarks. A Green Sandpiper flashed black and white as it shot down one of the storm drains and as we piled back into the cars to return to the hotel an Grey-crowned Prinia emerged from a low hedge and posed beautifully just a few feet away. As we headed back to the hotel two more Yellow-wattled Lapwings were on the verge and, in a moment that could have been designed by the Indian Tourism Board, we drove past a full-blown male Indian Peafowl roosting atop a roadside advertising billboard. Other birds seen in transit included a couple of Cattle Egrets, and a White-throated Kingfisher atop a street lamp.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_6519 Indian Pied Wagtail @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6519 Indian Pied Wagtail @ Delhi.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6515 Eurasian Kestrel @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6515 Eurasian Kestrel @ Delhi.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6525 Indian Silverbill @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6525 Indian Silverbill @ Delhi.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6536 Sewage Farm apprentice security guard @ Delhi.jpg
    IMG_6536 Sewage Farm apprentice security guard @ Delhi.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 56
Just before we got back to the hotel a couple more Yellow-wattled Lapwings on a grassy lot by the Aerocity Metro station caught my eye, so I walked back up and started shooting, only to be hammered by a two minute downpour that had me running for cover. The silver lining to this particularly malevolent cloud was that I found an open gate onto the lot and was able to approach the birds and get my best ever shots of this species in the wonderful post storm light. A couple of Red-wattled Lapwings were even more approachable, so I nailed them too.

After that I headed back into the triangle of woodland to see what else I could pick up in the last hour before dusk. I started well with a Hooded Treepie and a bunch of Jungle Babblers harassing a single Fruit Bat in one of the trees. Close to the water tower I found more Indian Peafowls going to roost. Close to the water tower a fortuitous gap through some bushes revealed a Spotted Owlet perched on a stump and a heavier movement in the scrub revealed the briefest of views of two Nilgai which stopped long enough to show grey brown bodies with a couple of pale stripes, and white-edged ears on an animal the size of a large, if rather streamlined cow. Having watched a short video during the committee meeting about how Delhi Airport relocates these impressive antelopes from areas close to the airport, I was absolutely thrilled to see them.

Other birds that showed here included a couple of Black Kites drying out after the rain in the top of a Bombax, the briefest of views of an Oriental Magpie Robin and a male Indian Robin, a pair of Rose-ringed Parakeets at a nesting hole and three or four Purple Sunbirds showing high up in the trees.

These few birds in a tiny corner of far from pristine habitat bear witness to the wonderful abundance of birds that can be found almost anywhere you look in India. I would encourage anyone with even the briefest opportunity to go birding whilst in Delhi to pack a pair of bins!

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_6584 Indian Peafowls @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6584 Indian Peafowls @ Delhi.JPG
    668.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6590 Rose-ringed Parakeet @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6590 Rose-ringed Parakeet @ Delhi.JPG
    343.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6569 Yellow-wattled Lapwing @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6569 Yellow-wattled Lapwing @ Delhi.JPG
    707.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6588 Nilgai poop @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6588 Nilgai poop @ Delhi.JPG
    784.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6582 Spotted Owlet @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6582 Spotted Owlet @ Delhi.JPG
    469.2 KB · Views: 70
Hmm, will be in Delhi for a day or so next month, think I'll take the big lens. It'll be all tourist sites, but there seem to be some nice birds around, thanks Jos :)

Good idea Jos! Getting "the establishment of birding hotspots at airports" on the agenda will be a challenge, but I did succeed with a broader mandate on biodiversity. . .

Look forward to seeing your pix Stuart.

Having said that, this habitat is certainly close enough to the airport to qualify for similar status, it's in walking distance, but as you can see from the screen grab below it will have to be a Magic Pentagon instead of a Magic Roundabout.

I've added a couple more birds - the Rose-ringed Parakeet showing more bill shine than eye shine, and the Yellow-wattled Lapwing still adorned with raindrops from its drenching.

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• Delhi Aerocity Birding map.pdf
    313.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6606 Aerocity water tower @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6606 Aerocity water tower @ Delhi.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6495 Aerocity Water Tower @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6495 Aerocity Water Tower @ Delhi.JPG
    575.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6600 Rose-ringed Parakeet @ Delhi.jpg
    IMG_6600 Rose-ringed Parakeet @ Delhi.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6567 Yellow-wattled Lapwing @ Delhi.JPG
    IMG_6567 Yellow-wattled Lapwing @ Delhi.JPG
    568.9 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back