• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Non sprouting birdseed (1 Viewer)

Arthur John

I have several types of feeder in my garden, most give me no problems at all.I do have one feeder that I bought as a general seed feeder and it always seems to clog up with sprouting seeds. I no longer use this feeder as I decided it must be a design fault but I just thought that someone out there may have had the same problem and solved it, any ideas? I even tried putting an upturned dish over it to keep off the rain. I already have feeders for sunflower kernals and niger, I just wanted something mixed.

I've never had the problem myself but my sister did with her seed feeders. (They were those cheap plastic square shaped ones that come in red, yellow and green.) I believe she bought a whole new setup and now feeds seed on a table.

How about using a squirrel baffle above the feeder. I've seen mentioned that they are useful for protecting feeders from the rain.

http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_details.php?area_id=2&group_id=10&nav_id=35&prd_id=113

Rather an expensive option I know! Perhaps someone will recommend something alittle cheaper.

Arthur John said:
I have several types of feeder in my garden, most give me no problems at all.I do have one feeder that I bought as a general seed feeder and it always seems to clog up with sprouting seeds. I no longer use this feeder as I decided it must be a design fault but I just thought that someone out there may have had the same problem and solved it, any ideas? I even tried putting an upturned dish over it to keep off the rain. I already have feeders for sunflower kernals and niger, I just wanted something mixed.

Put the seeds in a microwave oven for a few seconds, that will kill them and they cannot germinate. (UK customs and excise used to use that trick in the days when it was legal to bring hemp (cannabis) seed into the UK. Anyone found with the seed, had it taken away for examination during which it was put into a microwave before being politely returned. The poor hippies never knew why their seed failed to germinate.

Hi Arthur,

Fresh seed will germinate in the right conditions,that's what seeds do but there are seed feeders that don't let the water get in so much and it's worth checking them out.There are also seeds on the market now which are called "no mess" and don't sprout.Lots of people are using them and are really happy.

For me personally, if they don't grow they aren't natural,so i don't use them.Also natural green seedlings, are also taken by garden birds which is good although, it's harder work clearing up.

Last edited:
baillieswells said:
Put the seeds in a microwave oven for a few seconds, that will kill them and they cannot germinate. (UK customs and excise used to use that trick in the days when it was legal to bring hemp (cannabis) seed into the UK. Anyone found with the seed, had it taken away for examination during which it was put into a microwave before being politely returned. The poor hippies never knew why their seed failed to germinate.
That is very sad !:-C

baillieswells said:

As I said that's my preference but i didn't tell anyone else to feed as i do.However,i would rather you gave your expert opinion ;) as to why when seeds have been killed off in a microwave, they would make good feeding. :D

Feed for thought

Thanks for all your suggestions, I have discarded all the problem seed so I can't try the microwave idea (sounds good though) I might give the no mess stuff a try. If that fails I'll just stick to my sunflower hearts and niger feeders.
I have just filled 3 feeders and the tree is swarming with finches already, I can see them out of the window while I write this.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back