• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nicely treated Audubon - almost (1 Viewer)

Bencw

Almost mint Swift Audubon HR5, it was advertised as used once at a safari park then stored. Probably true as there were a few dry grass ears caught in the rubber eye cups. So almost nicely treated as apart from being left in the grass it also must have been stored somewhere a little damp as the case smelled musty and there was a condensation mark inside the right tube, but a couple of hours in the airing cupboard got rid of that mark. They are mint apart from a couple of tiny marks to the ocular coatings (maybe from the dried grass) which does not seem to affect the view, these are the fully multi coated version and very impressive to use, they must be quite close to being the best porro I have, up there with the Zeiss Oberkochen. The only little thing I can find as a negative is that I have to position my eyes absolutely correctly when viewing or I get little black outs at the edge, but the Zeiss Oberkochen is similar in that respect as are many other 8x porro,s. Top notch binocular, not sure what these go for, I happily gave just over £100 as you don't get the FMC come up to often, but no idea if that is good.

Attachments

• SWIFT-AUDUBON-HR5-FULLY MULTI COATED-8.5X44.JPG
    SWIFT-AUDUBON-HR5-FULLY MULTI COATED-8.5X44.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Almost mint Swift Audubon HR5..... The only little thing I can find as a negative is that I have to position my eyes absolutely correctly when viewing or I get little black outs at the edge, but the Zeiss Oberkochen is similar in that respect as are many other 8x porros......

I also get cutoffs at the edge of the FOV. This is with eyecups folded down as I wear glasses for distance. Seems to be something to do with the wide-angle view. Do you wear glasses yourself?
Chhayanat

I also get cutoffs at the edge of the FOV. This is with eyecups folded down as I wear glasses for distance. Seems to be something to do with the wide-angle view. Do you wear glasses yourself?
Chhayanat

Hi Chhayanat,

No I don't wear glasses when using my binoculars, my distance is not bad but need them for reading. I still get the little black outs at the edge with the cups not folded, but find as long as I position my eyes right it's fine. Regardless, this is still one of the best porro bins I have used. I have the older gold band Audubon and I find that is more forgiving, I don't have to be so careful with eye position with that, it's also an excellent binocular but not quite as bright and sharp as the HR5.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back