• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montreal, Canada, June (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

I'll be going to Montreal from about 19-23 June & wondered where there might be some good birding spots in the vicinity.

Although it's a work trip I might have one or two days completely free - so I would be open to a day trip somewhere.

Any advice about good spots would be great. I have not much experience with North American Birdwatching, so somewhere with lots of different birds would be my ideal. Thanks

Last edited:
Try Mont Tremblant or Chateauguay, I'le St Bernard, Marguerite-d'Youville Refuge Faunique both out of town. Early June was good for both.

In Montreal itself Mont Royal is barely worth the effort, Jardine Botanique is good in winter, but I have never tried there in summer and finally Bois Papineau is once again good in winter - not tried in summer.

A.

I lived there for three years in the late 90s, and last visited in 2006, so a lot may have changed since then. Most of my birding was rather opportunistic. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I never made it to Morgan Arboretum, but this or some other large park in the west of the island might be your best bet if you didn't want to go off the island. I did some survey work at a smaller private reserve just to the west on Ile Perrot, and there were quite a few different species of warblers there amongst other things, so the larger Morgan Arboretum will almost certainly have these too.

If you didn't want to venture even that far, Mont Royal is likely the largest natural space close to the city centre; the best bird I got here regularly was White-breasted Nuthatch, and I once got a Red-shouldered Hawk at the nearby cemetery (but don't hold your breath for that one). Immediately to the southwest and across Cote-des-Neiges (and near St-Joseph's Oratory) is Bois Summit, which regularly gave me Indigo Bunting, and in 2006 an Eastern Screech Owl roosting in a tree hole next to one of the paths.

Cheers
Liam

Looks like I will have the whole weekend free so could rent a car and get out of the city.

Any recommendations for good spots within 2-3hrs drive of Montreal would be appreciated.

thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back