• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why would a bird abandon eggs in a nest?? (1 Viewer)

Humanegal

Hi; I am new to this website/forum. I was trying to find some answers about a Cardinal we have near a quiet bedroom window. She has been sitting on her nest for well over a week, all of the sudden she abandons the nest completely--with about 3 eggs or so in it. I don't understand why this happened , and if there is anything I can do about the eggs.
Thank you very much, any info. will help,Laura

Hi Laura,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin :t:

There could be several reasons but as I am not familiar with the Cardinal breeding habits I will leave it to others to comment. I'm afraid that if the eggs are abandoned then there is nothing you can do - nature I'm afraid.

Hello Laura and a warm welcome to you.

Nest disturbance is the biggest reason for a bird to abandon its nest. If it feels threatened by another animal or human it will leave.

Question: were you able to see all the eggs? I'm wondering if one was a cowbird egg and the Cardinal recognized that it wasn't one of hers so abandoned the nest. Nortern Cardinals are targets by Brown-headed Cowbirds but this varies from one part of it's range to another. Just a thought.

:clap: Hello; Thank you so much for the warm welcomes.I wrote about a cardinal abandoning 3 eggs in a nest. Yes, I guess I see there is nothing I can do. The eggs appear to be beige-ish with brown spots. The really odd and sad thing is, I found her( or some female cardinal)just recently dead in the street. So, I feel really awful now. This is just so odd, all of this. I am totally mystified with what has transpired. First the abandoning then, finding a /the female cardinal dead --possibly hit by a car? SAD!
Thank you again,Laura

Hi; I am new to this website/forum. I was trying to find some answers about a Cardinal we have near a quiet bedroom window. She has been sitting on her nest for well over a week, all of the sudden she abandons the nest completely--with about 3 eggs or so in it. I don't understand why this happened , and if there is anything I can do about the eggs.
Thank you very much, any info. will help,Laura
I found your post because I had a similar problem. This female cardinal had laid a nest of 3. Then along came a female cowbird, & then there were four. She still laid on her nest until one day, I peaked in the direction, but did not see her. I looked closer, & only saw 2 eggs. So, when I looked at the ground below, I saw her dead, with no obvious signs of any damage, other than some ants eating her eyes. I saw 1 egg intact, & the other broken in half. It looks as if she just keeled over & died. Very strange! & I was so looking forward to seeing some young Cardinals around! :(

There are many reasons way so many of our feathered friends are just dropping dead. It sickens me to think of the losses of such wonders but I hate to say it, most of the time, it is our fault from disturbing them, pestacides and our personal pets. The best thing we can do is provide a safe place such as bird houses and feeders for them in hopes of helping.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back