• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Videoscoping with the Sony HDR-SR8 (2 Viewers)

Neil

As mentioned in the Kowa forum , I needed to video some newly hatched flamingo chicks in our local park this week at a distance of about 35 metres over water. I haven't used the Sony videocam since our trip to Egypt last year so had to read the manual again. Set it up with the Kowa 27x LER eyepiece on the Swarovski scope as the Kowa has good ER. Little or no vignetting at 40 - 60 mm on the camera zoom (27x ) and AF works well. I have it setup on a bracket so that I can move the camera in and out as I zoom the lens to minimise vignetting.
Here is a link to one of the videos I took.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/2763682131/

I also took some stills using the Sony.
I'm taking this camera with me to South Africa tonight and expect to fill the 100 gig HD for the first time.
Neil.
Sony HDR-SR8 camcorder on Swarovski STS80HD scope and Kowa 27x LER eyepiece and homemade bracket
Kowloon Park,
Hong Kong,
China.
August 2008

Attachments

• flamingo egg sonyDSC01126.jpg
    flamingo egg sonyDSC01126.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 185
  • flamingo chick sony DSC01155.jpg
    flamingo chick sony DSC01155.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 222
  • flamingo chick sony DSC01144.jpg
    flamingo chick sony DSC01144.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 191
  • flamingo chick sony DSC01129.jpg
    flamingo chick sony DSC01129.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Hey Neil, I see you're having the same problem with your videoscoping I have had with mine in some situations. Look for the little black specs on the video occasionally showing especially on light colored objects like the flamingos. It drives me crazy. Sometimes I can focus through it using manual focus. Not sure what causes it (maybe tiny dust specs on the eyepiece?) but it seems to be most prominent on the widest zoom settings on the camcorder. Good luck on your Africa trip.

Rick

Last edited:
Hi Neil,

Nice images.

I've also been experimenting with HD videoscoping and I've found some eyepieces that do not vigenette.

They are:
1. William Optics DCL-4337 (vig eliminated at 2x)
2. Pentax XW20 (no vig at 0x)
3. Scopetronix Maxview 14 (no vig at 0x)
4. Siebert Performance 35mm (vig eliminated at 2x)

Oddly, the Pextax XW14 and XW10 do vignette even though their eyerelief specs are the same on paper.

You can view my results in HD here:

http://www.vimeo.com/album/31076

Hi Neil,

Nice images.

I've also been experimenting with HD videoscoping and I've found some eyepieces that do not vigenette.

They are:
1. William Optics DCL-4337 (vig eliminated at 2x)
2. Pentax XW20 (no vig at 0x)
3. Scopetronix Maxview 14 (no vig at 0x)
4. Siebert Performance 35mm (vig eliminated at 2x)

Oddly, the Pextax XW14 and XW10 do vignette even though their eyerelief specs are the same on paper.

You can view my results in HD here:

http://www.vimeo.com/album/31076

Nice videos. Strange about the Pentax eyepieces. I have a Pentax 20mm , but I haven't tried it for video yet. Kowa have a couple of video eyepieces with long eye-relief (50 and 100 mm ) which I would like to try sometime.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back