• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Veagle's 2012 List (2 Viewers)

veagle

OK, it's that time again. Last year exceeded most of my expectations, although my totals for both SD (273 vs. 275) and NM (113 vs. 125) fell a little short of my goals. On the other hand I exceeded my projected total species by quite a bit (423 vs. 350), as well as new lifers (97 vs. 63).

So for the coming year, plans are somewhat unclear right near. We may spend some time in France this summer, but it will not be primarily for birding. On the other hand, we are planning to spend a week in Southeastern Arizona in late July. I may have business trips to Seattle, and California, and the rest will develop over time.

So...I would like to hit some local goals...200 life species for Pennington County (currently at 196), and 300 for South Dakota (Currently at 274). I would like to grow my New Mexico list to 135. And let's just leave the overall numbers to be whatever they turn out to be.

2012 - Karen and I spent New Year's day in pursuit of Snowy Owls. This year has been an amazing year for Snowys, but up until yesterday, I had not seen any. Lifebirds will be bold:

Jan. 1 - Central South Dakota

1. Golden Eagle
2. Red-tailed Hawk
3. Northern Harrier
4. Rough-legged Hawk
5. Ring-necked Pheasant
6. Snowy Owl B :)
7. Rock Pigeon
8. Canadian Goose
9. Mallard
10. Common Merganser
11. American Goldfinch
12. Bald Eagle
13. American Robin
14. Horned Lark
15. Sharp-shinned Hawk
16. Northern Shoveler
17. Common Goldeneye
18. Ring-billed Gull
19. American Crow

Attachments

• Plain Chachalaca 029.JPG
    Plain Chachalaca 029.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Plain Chachalaca 030.JPG
    Plain Chachalaca 030.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
A quick visit to Canyon Lake this morning before work to make sure that the Harlequin Duck is still there.

January 2 - in the neighborhood

20. Townsend's Solitaire

January 2 -Canyon Lake, SD

21. Bufflehead
22. Hooded Merganser
23. Harlequin Duck
24. Belted Kingfisher
25. Gadwall
26. American Wigeon
27. European Starling

Attachments

• hadu.jpg
    hadu.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Just some of the usual birds around town:

Jan. 6 - Rapid City, SD

28. Eurasian Collared-Dove

Jan. 7 - Outdoor Campus, Rapid City

29. Dark-eyed Junco
30. Song Sparrow
31. Black-capped Chickadee

Jan. 7 - St. Cloud St.

32. Hairy Woodpecker
33. Downy Woodpecker
34. Red-breasted Nuthatch
35. House Finch

Went out looking for some good birds this morning - struck out on Pinyon Jay, but got Evening Grosbeak and Lewis's Woodpecker.

Jan. 8 - Meade County, SD

36. Wild Turkey
37. Black-billed Magpie
38. Pine Siskin

Jan. 8 - Lawrence County, SD

39. Evening Grosbeak
40. American Tree Sparrow
41. Lewis's Woodpecker

Jan. 8 - Butte County, SD

42. Red-winged Blackbird
43. Blue Jay
44. Common Grackle
45. House Sparrow

Jan. 8 - Our Yard

46. White-breasted Nuthatch

Added a few more waterfowl this morning before work, at Canyon Lake. Highlight was a Cackling Goose, a new County bird, and the continuing Harlequin Duck.

Jan. 9 - Canyon Lake, Rapid City, SD

47. Cackling Goose
48. Redhead
49. Canvasback
50. Ring-necked Duck
51. American Coot

Last edited:
On my way home from work tonight...

Jan. 10 - Jackson Park, Rapid City, SD

52. Wood Duck

on our way out of the neighborhood yesterday morning, on the way to skiing...

Jan. 14 - Rapid City, SD

53. Sharp-tailed Grouse

Went out early before work this morning looking for a Snowy Owl that had been seen in Pennington County. Temperature ranged between -7 and -2 F. I may have seen it, but not a good enough look to be sure. Consolation was a new year bird...

Jan. 17 - Pennington County, SD

54. Prairie Falcon

Last edited:
Spent the morning yesterday driving around Custer State Park. Things were very quiet. I was looking for Crossbills, and Black-backed Woodpeckers, but didn't see either. Quite a few Bald Eagles, and one new bird for the year, near the Custer State Park airport.

Jan. 21 - Custer State Park, SD

55. Northern Shrike

Drove out east of Rapid City, late in the day. No snowy,but otherwise a good group of raptors including Golden Eagle, Rough-legged Hawk, Northern Harrier, American Kestral, Merlin, and Prairie Falcon.

Jan. 26 - Pennington County, SD

56. Merlin
57. American Kestrel

The January SD Blahs. Went out this morning looking for Common Redpoll, Pinyon Jays, and hiked up the Bear Butte Trail in 30F, high winds looking for Grey-Crowned Rosy Finch. Struck out on all of them! It wasn't a total bust, though, as I saw a Lewis's Woodpecker and one new year bird.

Jan. 28 - Bear Butte State Park, SD

58. Brown Creeper

Running an errand yesterday, I drove by a nest used the last few years by Great Horned Owls. Although I had no optics with me, I clearly saw the ears sticking up.

Jan. 28 - Pennington County

59. Great Horned Owl

A new location had been identified for Black-backed Woodpecker. Went down to Custer State Park this morning, and got a brief, unsatisfying view of a pair of them. Really not much else happening other than a field full of Wild Turkeys.

February 5 - Custer County

61. Black-backed Woodpecker

February 5- Pennington County

62. Northern Flicker

Went out scouting this morning for a bird outing that I will lead next weekend. One of the most interesting sights was that the Harlequin Duck that has been wintering here in Rapid City, which we all thought was a female, now appears to be a first winter Male, and is now coming into breeding plumage. Saw my first Green-winged Teal of the year, and finally, after much searching this winter, found my first Northern Cardinal in Western South Dakota.

February 19 - Rapid City, SD

63. Green-winged Teal
64. Northern Cardinal

I had a cancelled meeting this morning, and went out looking for some local target birds. I needed two more birds in Pennington County to reach 200 (lifetime), and had some hints on where I might find Golden-crowned Kinglet, American Dipper, Lewis's Woodpecker, and Canyon Wren.

Dipped on the first two (sorry 'bout that), got a good, but quick look at a few Lewis's, and the highlight was the best looks ever at a close, singing Canyon Wren. And also got closest looks yet at the wintering Harlequin Duck, which is now molting into breeding plumage.

February 21 - Pennington County, SD

65. Canyon Wren

I have been really under the weather recently, but feeling a little better this morning, I decided to take a quick drive to Sevey's Lake on my way to work. Much to my surprise, it was 80% open water, and there were quite a few waterfowl on the water, which is early, as it is usually frozen well into March.

March 8 - Sevey's Lake, SD

66. Northern Pintail
67. Lesser Scaup

We are in Santa Fe, NM for the weekend, our first trip down here this year. An early morning walk in the arroyo on a cold snowy morning yielded huge numbers of American Robins and a couple of new birds for the year:

March 10 - Santa Fe, NM

68. Common Raven
69. Mountain Bluebird

A bit more snow overnight; another walk in the Arroyo.

March 11 - Santa Fe, NM

70. Lesser Goldfinch
71. Canyon Towhee
72. Western Scrub-Jay
73. Mourning Dove

Last edited:
Back in South Dakota, an early morning drive by Sevey's Lake finds a good mix of waterfowl, including a Cackling Goose, and a couple of year birds:

March 14 - Sevey's Lake, SD

74. Western Meadowlark
75. Killdeer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back