• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How big is your GARDEN/YARD LIST? (1 Viewer)

27. Red-winged Blackbird

Some males were a week or so early on migration, because I never get the residents in my yard. Looks like spring's acomin'...

28. Sharp-shinned Hawk - this guy came down and just massacred one of the happy House Finches munching away at my feeder! Great sight - I can see now why the Sharpie's not to distant cousin is referred to as a "Sparrowhawk." Also 1st Sharpie of '06.

Three garden lifers this year! (Start date 01/01/2004)

Figures upto date to a couple of days ago - but we only record species not numbers in the garden (at the moment).

Attachments

• Garden List.doc
    38 KB · Views: 98
Still stuck in the mid-sixties (the list, not me), but have added Waxwing and Woodcock over the past month - but still none too shabby for a postage stamp plot in the middle of a village!

31. Common Grackle
32. Pileated Woodpecker

EDIT: I don't want to repost every time I get a new one, which recently has been often.

33. Red-shouldered Hawk

Last edited:
I have 127. I have northern bobwhite, wild turkey, 13 species of warblers, and black vulture among others, but I am missing rock dove, believe it or not...

It has been quite a while since I have added a new bird to our yard list. However, with the spead of the Eurasian Collared-Dove, originating from birds in Florida; it seems inevitable that they will probably be wide spead in the US before much longer. A few days ago I added this Dove to our list. This is our yard bird #136.

My small garden in suburban manchester has a fairly meagre list (even counting flyovers), even though it's near to some good habitat and has lots of mature trees:

Cormorant (flyover)
Grey Heron (flyover)
Mute Swan (flyover)
Canada Goose (flyover)
Pink-footed Goose (flyover)
Mallard (flyover)
Shoveler (flyover)
Shelduck (flyover)
Sparrowhawk
Peregrine (flyover)
Kestrel (flyover)
Oystercatcher (flyover)
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull (flyover)
Lesser Black-backed Gull (flyover)
Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Great Spotted Woodpecker
House Martin
Sand Martin (flyover)
Pied Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Song Thrush
Mistle Thrush
Redwing (flyover)
Blackbird
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Goldcrest
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Coal Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Nuthatch
Magpie
Jay
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Common Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Siskin

Actually not too bad, now that I've listed them all for the first time - 48 species altogether.

Last time I checked I had 131, but I may have forgotten a few. Highlights on my list include:

24 species of warblers, including Golden and Blue-winged, Orange-crowned and Pine Warblers.
"Brewster's" Warbler, a hybrid between Golden-winged and Blue-winged Warblers
Sandhill Crane
American Woodcock
Solitary Sandpiper
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Wood, Swainson's, Gray-cheecked and Hermit Thrushes, and Veery.

There are many more.... I've lived at this same place for my whole life. Not the best yard, only an acre, but it has a lot of mature trees and some underbrush.

Just added new bird to garden list, that is, birds seen from the garden
Gt Tit
Blue Tit,
Long tailed Tit
Marsh Tit,
GSW
Wood pigeon
Collared dove
song thrush
mistle thrush
fieldfare
redwing
robin
starling
blackbird
chaffinch
greenfinch
goldcrest
house sparrow
dunnock
pied wagtail
peregrine falcon over
snipe through
sparrow hawk
mallard over
GBBG
Black headed gull
Herring gull
LBBG
reed bunting (yesterday 3M +1F)
wren
goldfinch

My current home list is 42--postage stamp yard, 3 blocks from busy road, and lots of people tromping around. I've been here just over 2-1/2 years and am moving, starting this weekend, to a bigger, quieter, woodsier place. I already have four birds, before I've even moved in, which I saw in about 15 minute in the back yard while looking the place over: Carolina chickadee, mourning dove, tufted titmouse, and white-breasted nuthatch. I will begin taking boxes over the day after tomorrow, and hope and expect the list to grow quickly!

Not 100% sure how many species, but did add Cuckoo to the list last year and so far this year I've added Little Owl!! It's probably just over 30 now!?

jforgham said:
Just added new bird to garden list, that is, birds seen from the garden
Gt Tit
Blue Tit,
Long tailed Tit
Marsh Tit,
GSW
Wood pigeon
Collared dove
song thrush
mistle thrush
fieldfare
redwing
robin
starling
blackbird
chaffinch
greenfinch
goldcrest
house sparrow
dunnock
pied wagtail
peregrine falcon over
snipe through
sparrow hawk
mallard over
GBBG
Black headed gull
Herring gull
LBBG
reed bunting (yesterday 3M +1F)
wren
goldfinch

Oops forget me corvids and a few migrants
magpie
jay
carrion crow
jackdaw
rook
house martin
swallow
chiffchaff
swift

Jono

Just remembered coal tit as well

Last edited:
35. A Fish Crow suprised me this beautiful afternoon.

EDIT: 36. A few male Brown-headed Cowbirds were perching in my yard in the late afternoon today.

Last edited:
Smallish suburban garden:

1. Carrion crow
2. Jackdaw
3. Rook
4. Magpie
5.Jay
6. Waxwing
7. Pheasant
8. Red-legged partridge
9. House sparrow
10. Greenfinch
11. Chaffinch
12. Bullfinch
13. Goldfinch
14. Dunnock
15. Robin
16. Wren
17. Blue tit
18. Long-tailed tit
19. Great tit
20. Black-headed gull
21. Redwing
22. Blackbird
23. Song thrush
24. Green woodpecker
25. Great spotted woodpecker
26. Starling
27. Sparrowhawk
28. Buzzard (flyover only)
29. Red kite (flyover only)
30. Grey heron (flyover only)
31. House martin (attempting to nest)
32. Swallow (flyover only)
33. Collared dove
34. Wood pigeon
35. Pied wagtail

Hi, Dally! I see this is your first post, so a warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Just logged species #114 for the yard: Acorn Woodpecker (Melanerpes formicivorus). I always get them on various counts but have never had one in the yard in the 4 1/2 years I've lived here. They're sure great clown faces with their white eyes and red, yellow, black and white patterned head.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back