• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATS 80HD (bough in 2006) vs today's ATS 80 HD (1 Viewer)

Fedster

Finland
Hi All,

a friend is selling his ATS 80 HD he bought in 2006 and asked me if I am interested. I am sort of but I want to know:

1) is there any brightness advantage in a ATS 80 HD bough new today compared to an ATS 80 HD bough new in 2006?

2) if the answer to (1) is that a new scope would be brighter, would that be reflected in the resale price? I was asked to give an offer, so if I make an offer I would like to make it fair for both parties.

I do both bird and general wildlife watching, and mammals do come out at low light situations, so for me a low light advantage does matter a lot -- I'd rather buy a scope new today (and thus pay more) if there is a difference in how much light I can get out of the scope.

See the attachment for House of outdoor test showing improvement post 2009.

Attachments

• ATM v ATS res.jpg
    ATM v ATS res.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 297
Hi

Sorry to jump oil here, but am very new to this and don't know really where to start.
sadly my father recently passed away and amounts his things he left behind were 3 Swarovski optical items.
1 pair of 1990 SLC 10X42WB Binoculars that I am probably going to hang on to.
AT 80 HD Spotting scope with 30X ww eyepiece, 20-60X eyepiece and field bag
NC 2 night scope.
Where is the best place to sell these last 2 items? I notice that on the link supplied earlier, it refers to ATM or ATS. How do these compare to what I have?
Sorry again for butting in and thanks in advance

Hi

Sorry to jump oil here, but am very new to this and don't know really where to start.
sadly my father recently passed away and amounts his things he left behind were 3 Swarovski optical items.
NC 2 night scope.
Where is the best place to sell these last 2 items? I notice that on the link supplied earlier, it refers to ATM or ATS. How do these compare to what I have?

You can list the items you have for sale here in the Classifieds - For Sale or Wanted Forum. Scroll down to it from the Binoculars Forum and select the sub-forum "For Sale-Birding and Nature related Items"

You have to put an asking price on the items when you list them,

Bob

Hi

NC 2 night scope.

Hi, Just to add to Bob Ceasar's reply, you need to have 10 forum posts [not gallery posts] and be a member at least 5 days to put up a classified ad.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=110962

I am sorry for your loss of your father!!

Last edited:
AT 80 HD Spotting scope with 30X ww eyepiece, 20-60X eyepiece and field bag.
I notice that on the link supplied earlier, it refers to ATM or ATS. How do these compare to what I have?
The AT80HD (assuming that's what you actually have) is light grey without rubber armouring. It's equivalent to the Leica Apo Televid 77, both in terms of vintage and of performance.

It was replaced by the ATS, which was lighter and armoured. There wasn't much improvement in scope body optical performance, though the new eyepieces (which fit the older scope, though without locking) were significantly better. There will also have been incremental improvements in coatings.
The ATM was the same, but with a lighter magnesium body. It got dropped when the ATX came out, leaving the ATS as the cheaper model.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back