• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Warbler, NE Scotland (1 Viewer)

Ken Hall

I'm hoping this is a Wood Warbler (a lifer if it is, they are not too common here). Taken today in mature oak/birch woodland at Ballater. A lucky shot, I think!

Attachments

• IMG_6552.jpg
    IMG_6552.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 274
Hi Ken,

It's difficult to be certain from that pic, but it certainly looks like one to me! The well defined yellow supercilium, and the yellow breast contrasting with the white of the rest of the underparts all suggest Wood Warbler, as, in this case, does the location!

Cheers,

Stuart

Verrrry nice Ken... I've only seen one myself, over on the West Coast.

D

wow that was quick. Thanks everyone. There seemed to be a pair, and they were too busy picking food off the leaves to sing! Not a cheep. And of course they wouldn't stay still for a second.

Fabulous pic Ken! (agree with others, clean white belly, bright yellow breast, habitat all look good - as does the little barrel shape! - ie. looks short tailed and big breasted)

Last edited:
can't disagree, this is a wood warbler, barrel shape and sharp contrast between sulphur yellow and clean white belly.

Great photo and certainly a wood warbler. It helps that you were at one of only two regular sites for wood warbler in Aberdeenshire! Have you tried the other one (Dinnet oakwood), Ken? I have found it very easy to hear them singing there (like a coin spinning out on a table)

Great photo and certainly a wood warbler. It helps that you were at one of only two regular sites for wood warbler in Aberdeenshire! Have you tried the other one (Dinnet oakwood), Ken? I have found it very easy to hear them singing there (like a coin spinning out on a table)

Dinnet oakwood is becoming one of my favourite places on Deeside. I was there yesterday from 08.00 - 09.30 (that's early for me :eek!:). Got a nice singing Redstart but no sight or sound of Wood Warblers. I wasn't quite sure what they would look or sound like. I'll be back in a few days to try again. The photo exif data are: 1/2000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400.

thanks again to all for your comments.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back